UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sam

Houndwoman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ohmy: OMG! Sheila, your boy does like to be special :wub:

I hope he Sam is soon on the mend and back home with you. Hopefully this will stop the need for future vet visits and test. :GroupHug:

Are you in Gloucs or Brum? If you are up here, give me a shout if you need anything. :flowers:

Andrea x

Thanks Andrea :GroupHug: I am in Glos at the moment as Sam was taken ill down here on Thursday and the vet we use is at this end of Malvern.

I use a vet in B'ham that I have been with for about 25 years so if the dogs are with me up there and anyone is taken ill I can take them to the local vet there.

We are very lucky as both practises work well together as sometimes one of the animals may have been seen by one practise and if I have to take him/her to the other when I am at the other house (whichever one it is) they happily carry on with the care.

Lots of love to brave Sam. Thank goodness you have such a skilful vet.

I really feel for you as Muffin cat had a similar thing when she was 11. She was very poorly and vomiting and the vet discovered a hard lump which she thought was either a tumour or a foreign body. It turned out to be a distended gall bladder full of solid septic gunk. It is as you say very rare in dogs, and no case was recorded in cats until then. Vet was astounded but cleaned it out, stitched it up and Muffin lived until she was nearly 18. I hope Sam makes a similar good recovery and will soon be enjoying life again.

Thanks Owl, that gives me some optimism :flowers:

Sam's gall bladder was completely destroyed, the vet said it was like a grapefruit that had been smashed with a big hammer!

He said that although humans have no problems living without a gall bladder it is slightly different in dogs etc but shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as he gets through this critical stage.

Here is the update anyway.

Have been to see Sam and sat in his kennel with him for a while just stroking him as he is very delicate at the moment icon_sad.gif He looks so poorly but the vet is reasonably pleased with him.

He will be in a critical condition for at least 3 days as there are 4 main things that can endanger his life one of which has been ruled out but one is just a little worrying at the moment which is his protein level which is dropping at the moment and that will prevent his tissue healing. If he can keep his food down the protein level should start to climb again and that would be good news.

Post op bleeding has now been ruled out as that was one of the dangers. The other two are his white blood cell count and peritonitis. If the white cell count drops he is in trouble but at the moment is white cells are rising which is good.

Even if he just stays the same tomorrow that will be good icon_mrgreen.gif

Vet will call this evening with an update.

Sam is home! r_champion.gif r_champion.gif r_champion.gif .....but he has had a little 'hiccup' this afternoon as he was sick and then refused food later on icon_sad.gif He has managed a tiny meal about an hour ago so we are hoping it stays down.

When I went to see him earlier the vet said that at the moment, medically, he didn't need to do any more and as long as we were happy to manage him we could have him home. He said the main concern was that he would start vomiting and refusing to eat as then his protein would drop. We are hoping that it was just a little 'blip' in the proceedings due to the change etc of getting home.

The vet did blood test him before I brought him home to check his protein levels and they had risen from yesterday's test so I hope he can keep food down in the meantime.

He goes back for a check up tomorrow icon_smile.gif