UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aunt Sally

staffymad

It is with sad news that I cross post the following tribute from Sarah who adopted some 2.5 years ago the world famous and fantastic Aunt Sally from the Oldies Club after fostering and falling in love with her. This is her topic crossposted with permission from Sarah.

''3 years ago, I was sent this picture, of a little old dog in Ireland.

Sallybeforeus.jpg

I collected a little, stinky girl.. with knots in her coat, a wonky ear and a wonky eye. I loved her from that very first moment.

3 weeks into living with us, she had a home offer. I can't describe the panic I felt!.. but I had promised Shane, my hubby, I'd be strong and let her go.

The morning they were to arrive to visit, Shane brought me up a cuppa in bed and said 'cancel the visit - she's OUR dog'.

piccie2.jpg

I always said Sally was 157, at least, when asked how old she was. I begrudge every year she wasn't with me, every bad time she had before she was MY Auntydog. My Layla (youngest) can't really rememeber life without her. I am struggling to imagine life without her.

piccie3.jpg

She's accepted any dog/cat/child that has come into our home. When we fostered Laddie, she taught him everything - where to eat/sleep/go to the loo - he was 'her' puppy and she adored him.

piccie4.jpg

piccie5.jpg

piccie6.jpg

piccie7.jpg

Sally was perfection.

piccie8.jpg

piccie9.jpg

Today I have had to make the hardest decision in my life and let her go. I am just grateful that she was ready, both in mind and body, to leave me. As she slipped away, she honestly looked young again, and so very, very beautiful.

Please raise your cups to our AuntyDog - I've shared her ups and downs with many of you over the time she has been with me, and I thank you for all the support you've given

piccie10.jpg

I and the Oldies Club can't thank Sarah and her family enough for giving this little Irish girl a second chance in life and giving her the best 2.5 years of her life. Without Sarah, Aunt Sally wouldn't have had another wonderful 2.5 years but matters of days.

My thoughts are with Sarah and her family at this sad time :GroupHug:

Run free Aunt Sally, have fun at the bridge until you all meet again.

Cindy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry to hear this sad news. My heart goes out to Sarah and her family. Sally looks so happy in those pics. What a wonderful life she had with you. Run free until you're together again sweetheart. Thank you so much for taking her in and caring for her so well. :mecry: :wub:

Hey, it's been a while since I've posted here :flowers:

Thank you, Cindy. I would not have been without a second of her as a very valued member of our family. She's enjoyed holidays with us, picnics, outings, BBQ's and parties... she's enjoyed life, and she's been a honour to be with.

She is very loved by many people locally - I am dreading breaking the news to not only my girls, but the many kids/adults she's been loved by.

She's been a very sort lump of love to me when I lost my dad last year. It doesn't seem as if it was only 2.5 years - it feels she was always with me.

For the past 6 months especially, she has not been herself - and I knew she wasn't going to get any better - nothing, no money or treatment would make her young again. If it had meant remorgaging the house and selling my car etc.. I would have done anything to make her better.

She was very hard of hearing, and her sight was appauling. She became incontinent. Her arthiritus caused her shoulder blades to meet in the middle of her back, curving her spine. Her legs splayed, and she had to be carried in/out of the house.. The worst thing was her senility. Sal would pace round and round and round and round. I had to stop her, pop her in her bed - then she would flinch/cower. Memories came back of not such happy times for her, and she'd forget it was me, her Sarah. That was heartbreaking.

Yesterday, I realised Sally did not have any pleasures in life left anymore. Selfishly, I would have carried on.. and on.. and on. We were a team, me and her.. I feel lost without her.

When I took her today, when the Vet did his stuff - it was seconds. In those seconds, I swear the years melted away.. she lay there looking peaceful, young and beautiful.

Sars xx

I spend.. spent.. most of each day caring for her. She has left a great big huge hole in my life/heart.

Yesterday, I realised Sally did not have any pleasures in life left anymore. Selfishly, I would have carried on.. and on.. and on. We were a team, me and her.. I feel lost without her.

When I took her today, when the Vet did his stuff - it was seconds. In those seconds, I swear the years melted away.. she lay there looking peaceful, young and beautiful.

Sars xx

I spend.. spent.. most of each day caring for her. She has left a great big huge hole in my life/heart.

You gave a friend the last token of love and friendship there is left to give and let her cross over with dignity :flowers:

She will never be forgotten but certainly very sadly missed.

:GroupHug:

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Sarah and family, thank you for giving Aunt Sally the best years of her life, I am so glad she found you.

My thoughts are with you all :GroupHug:

Run free Aunt Sally, never to be forgotten :wub:

I'm so very sorry to hear this :mecry:

I know how much she meant to Sarah who must be devastated :GroupHug:

Raising a glass to Aunt Sally and will light a candle for her too :mecry:

Run free little one :wub:

Marion

Can't say more than these two posts, Sarah your last post made my heart break, thinking of you

Laura xxxx