UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Sounds brilliant fun Jacky. Have you tried xc with him yet?

Little Jack puppy went on a not so pleasant day trip to be neutered today (he is accepting lots of sympathy for having a wicked Mummy). Managed to pass a few hours in the ever fabulous company of Wicc's and for once I remembered the camera! Apologies to Sarah for seeming to capture mostly headless horsewoman pics (the ones I deleted yonks ago by mistake were much better :laugh: :rolleyes: ). Lots of smiles, Lady T is super and very happy with her lot :wub:

tar.jpg

tar1.jpg

tar2.jpg

tar3.jpg

tar4.jpg

tar5.jpg

tar6.jpg

Regrettably (oh what a shame) I forgot to tell S. about the zoom button on my camera - oh dear, I am upset :D

tar7.jpg

tar8.jpg

Edited by reds

Lady T :wub: :wub:

I just realised that I hadn't posted after my 'lesson' yesterday. Wasn't so much of a lesson really, more of an hour's hack, but it was fab :biggrin: I was on Monty again, the huge Grey, but he's gorgeous and loves being kissed on the nose :wub:

The instructor I usually have wasn't there so another girl came out with me. It was soo nice to be out of the school. We had a wander through the village and Monty decided to be a wuss and go all "yikes, a post box" and "eeek, a wheely bin" but as he's been ridden through the village umpteen times before, I suspect he was just playing :laugh:

Once we were out of the village we went over the Kennet & Avon canal and then along the tow path and into the fields. Jenny, the girl who came out with me, asked if I wanted to canter, so even though it must be 20 odd years since, i said yes so off we went :wink: It was great and Monty seemed to enjoy himself too, bless him. It was such a lovely afternoon and such a lovely area, completely peaceful and quiet, I can't wait to do it again!

I was dead pleased with myself for staying on and I'm sure I had a huge grin on my face after. I know cantering isn't much to most of you but for someone who's only had a few lessons after many, many years out of the saddle, it was the best thing ever.

I'm going to try and book for a couple of hours next time and hopefully get to go up on the Downs as there are miles and miles of bridleways :biggrin:

Oohh Jacky, tell you why I asked, when I lived in Valley we got Holly from Bodedern, you post in rmf that your stables had jrt pups,Holly came from 'Anglesey Equestrian Centre'.... The family we had her from dealt in irish horses, the guy went over, brought a few back and 'schooled them on' before selling them

Yeah that's the place!!! I'm not at all tempted cos I'd not buy a pup but OMG they are the cutest things ever!!!!! There are 2 scruffy tan one's that I'm just aching to grab and run off with!!! :laugh:

It could of been the hubby that was selling the horses, they've split up now so they don't deal in horses anymore. There daughter is a very good sj'er so they are consentrating on her career.

Lesley those are fab pictures!! Lady T is just amazing!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: I'm definately going to make a trip down to visit Sarah (nothing like inviting yourself is there??? :laugh: :rolleyes: ) (Might be soon if a certain little Hamster doesn't find a home quick!!!! :wub: :wub: )

Wendy that's great! I'm so pleased you are enjoying riding again...remember there is a naughty cob here who is making it his mission to throw as many fugee's as he can!!! :laugh:

Lady T is soooo gorgeous :wub: :wub:

Hope Jack puppy is not feeling too sore :flowers:

There is nothing like hacking is there Wendy, and it doesn't matter how many times I do it a good canter never fails to leave a big grin across my face :biggrin:

I am still really scratching my head over what is going on with Loki at the moment, all things have been checked and he looks fine to the eye, but I still can not buy left canter, this has never been a problem before, and generally it is hard work to get him working well in trot :unsure: But his actual canter has really improved :wacko: KimbasMum has kindly recommended a McTimoney lady and hopefully she will call me back and we can get her out to check him.

Of course he could just be rebelling a bit, in a way I wish he was, but he has never shown any tendencies to do it before, so a bit concerned.

Anyone have any tips for tricky canter transitions?

Oh and reminder Hickstead Derby on BBC2 2pm on Sunday :)

I have to admit the hubby wasnt the most pleasent person, I ended up there bny mistake and having seen Holly in the mess she was in I couldnt leave her... glad the womans still there tho, i believe she was a florist or summat?. I only met the hubby and gran, the hubby told me porkies about Hollys age, thankfully tho 4 1/2 years on shes fine and healthy

Had a rather scary hack this afternoon. I went out with Lorna on Bonny, Pepsi's owner is away so one of the teens rode her and the woman who I used to share Abi with has another pony called Paco who was ridden by her new sharer. We all know that Paco is a kicker so we do not ride behind him.

I was riding along side and Paco was slightly behind. I really don't know what happened but Lorna said she thinks Paco had a horse fly on him so he tried to kick it off. Next thing I knew he had turned and backed into me and kicked Feniks in the belly. Feniks turned quickly to get away and kicked out at Paco. Trying his hardest to get away he is so submissive. Paco kicked him at least another two times. I lost a stirrup and was over his shoulder but there was no way I was falling off in the road. I managed to get Fe to calm down enough so I could get off. Luckily he just has a superficial scrape on his left hock. Was initially lame but I am hoping that was just the first pain.

I took him back to the yard and hosed the hock and checked him for other injuries (none) put antiseptic cream on it and put him in his field.

Have the task of telling Pacos owner tomorrow eactly what her pony is capable of :wacko: It is only the third time Aly has ridden Paco, she kept saying sorry as she thought she was to blame.

Edited by Angel155

Oh no poor Feniks, I hope he is okay today :flowers: Must have left you shaken too :GroupHug:

I have had an interesting few days. Had a lesson on Friday night, booked in for 45 mins as usual, an hour and 20 mins later we were still trying to get left canter :rolleyes: Hasten to add we had already done 30 mins before we started left canter. We were starting to think we would be out there all night, we had tried so many exercises and little monkey had evaided then all :rolleyes: In the end RI said to try putting my whip in my outside hand and when asking for canter give him a tap behind my leg, he was so indignant at being tickled by the whip he went straight into left canter first time :laugh: RI said okay do that again, she got a very short answer, and admitted she was joking as she was supposed to be down the pub half and hour ago :laugh:

Today we went to our first showjumping comp, and Loki first show with public address systems and all the trimmings. I was soooo proud he took it all in his stride, I had entered in the baby 2ft class, and to be honest as much as I like that height he has grown out of it, esecially as it was just poles. He went lovely and came out with one down, which I was relievd about as it was in a 20 x 40 school and we had break issues and did not fancy going back in for the jump off :laugh:

So I decided to be brave and do the 2.6ft clear round which in contrast was in a field and full of fillers and interesting fences, loads of horses were having stops.

He was such a good boy, I rode like a muppet, slightly less so in the second attempt :rolleyes: and he was very good at rewarding me with a clean jump when I got it right and sending poles flying when I didn't :laugh: I did struggle with control, but knew the issues I am having with canter was going to effect us around a course, a couple of times he went disunited but still tried to jump bless him :wub: Most important thing to me was that he jumped everything and it was a pleasure to take him out :biggrin:

Today we took the partition out of the trailer and with two full length bars travelled him in the whole trailer, he seemed to travel better and it was much easier to load and unload him :)

Anyway enough of the waffle pics and vids to follow :D

What a horrible thing to happen Angel. :GroupHug:

I suspect Paco's owner already knows her horse :) Nemo is a kicker - riding him taught me loads - I was always very aware of what his back end was doing, and would keep a safe distance from anyone I was out with. It sounds like it was an unfortunate event that just snowballed, as these things tend to, Nemo was always worse with strange horses, but would walk happily side by side with his friends. :rolleyes:

If the sharer is not used to a horse that kicks, I expect it all came as a huge shock to her too.

Hope Feniks is none the worse for wear. :GroupHug:

Well done Clare - Loki looks fantastic!! Went to Hickstead yesterday - be seeign you there next year?! :laugh:

Went to Hickstead yesterday - be seeign you there next year?! :laugh:

Lucky you Jen, I watched it on the telly today.

I have a question now after watching Hickstead.

Is napping where the horse kind of kicks out his/her back legs, like they are having a bit of a strop?

Lesley those are fab pictures!! Lady T is just amazing!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: I'm definately going to make a trip down to visit Sarah (nothing like inviting yourself is there??? :laugh: :rolleyes: ) (Might be soon if a certain little Hamster doesn't find a home quick!!!! :wub: :wub: )

You would be very welcome Jacky. :)

Gorgussss pics of Loki! :wub:

Is napping where the horse kind of kicks out his/her back legs, like they are having a bit of a strop?

No, napping is where the horse refuses to go forward.

When the horse kicks out his hindlegs it's called bucking.

I watched Hickstead too this afternoon and saw my sister on telly (she's William Funnell's groom). Glad he won :)