UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

That's interesting, nice to know someone else has had issues with Mylers :flowers:

I seem to struggle with the size, 5" is too small, both my Mylers are 5.5" and they do look on the large size and do move through the mouth, which has probably not helped with rubbing, plus he has mega flabby lips :wacko:

Had exactly the same problem!! The size up from the one that would have been too small was just that - too big! It did move through his mouth and as you said, didn't help with the rubbing.

Thanks Jacky. How does it work?

I can't use a normal snaffle for Duke because I have no brakes if I do, it's as though he can't even feel it! When I was riding proper I went through everything, spoke to everyone, tried several and ended up with the one bit I was trying to replace - the Dr. Bristol. I know it's a bit that has a :ohmy: reflex with people but after going through a whole series and speaking to all the bitting people and trying their suggestions, the Dr Bristol is the only one that didn't rub him and gave me the brakes when I needed them. He is prone to over bending too. When I bought him he was ridden in a twisted snaffle now that really was :ohmy: hence why I always ask precisely what kind of snaffle when sellers say "snaffle mouthed" :laugh:

I've copied the blurb cos I can't explain it!!! :laugh: Kane is extreamly soft mouthed and I rarely have to touch the reins to get a response but it's just for those moments when he feels like he's about to shoot off (ask Sandra...she'll explain what that's like!!! :laugh: ) and if I just give a quick squeeze he remembers that I am there and having a 'moment' isn't required!!! :laugh:

Curved, jointed mouthpiece with three barrels in centre and Independent Side Movement.

Puts pressure on tongue and corners of bars, collapses slightly on bars and restricts tongue. Turns into solid mouthpiece when asking for a stop.

Good for the horse that gets heavy in the hand and who doesn't require a big port.

Can be a good bit for young/unschooled horses that tend to be fussy in their mouths and have a tendancy to be strong.

I like the sound of that Jacky :)

Sorry Gooster, missed you there and Hello. Was only thinking this morning that you hadn't been on for a while (I was at the opticians that's why!). Hope you all get settled again and back to where you were with the riding.

Thanks Reds - that's the joy of working for a big multinational company who won't let you use the internet in working hours!!!

Hopefully he'll settle down in the new place, meaning I can start riding him again. Depending on his frame of mind today, I might ride him when I go to see him tonight.

Hello Jayne, sorry to hear things have been tough for Blue, hope he settles into his new yard :flowers: :GroupHug:

Clare, one of my old boss' horses was extremely heavy in one hand (after months off work, being walked by hand and in walker only), it was such hard work to ride him. Her German instructor told her how we should deal with it, and although it felt awkward at first, it really worked well, and there were no sore arms or mouths! Can't remember which hand you said he is heavey in, but let's say it is the right.

Basically if your horse is heavy on the right rein and won't take the left, it is his left side that has a problem, not the right. The reason they won't take the left is because they don't like to stretch the muscles on that side. So in to make them work equally on both reins, you have to make sure you have equal support on both reins, even if it means the horse is holding his head to one side (and trust me, Herbert did that to an extend where is felt like he would fall over lol... but he didn't). Because you are only supporting the horse where he really wants to be, there is no struggle, and you can work on balance and strecthing his tight side gradually. It might take weeks or longer, it took quite a while for Herbert, but when he did start to straighten up he was balanced and strong (strong "motor" not strong in the hand). It is important that the horse is foward going when you do this, but as you are not fighting him, it shouldn't be a problem. To begin with, he would be awkward for at least 25 minutes, and then have maybe 10 good minutes before getting tired, but gradually the bad were less and less and he would start out better and better.

Sorry if this sounds like nonsense, would love to come down one day and show you (unless you think it sounds really cruel or strange lol).

Hi Jayne,

Sorry to hear it's so up in the air for Blue, hopefully the new place will be exactly what you need. :GroupHug: Hope the dogs and you are ok otherwise?

Well I had a lesson last night... 1 hour on my own!! I thought I was going to die!!!! :laugh: :laugh: I've always thought myself riding fit, I ride pretty much everyday but OMG!!!! She had me doing 20 meter circles in trot changing the rein for 20 minutes!!!!!!! Kane was absolutely brilliant, he was really forward going and loved his work!!! He's a different horse at this place!! :mecry: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Plus she said the best advise I've had for along time. She said that I needed to forget about his eye sight and remember that he's still a young horse. She said I bet if you got another horse with full sight at 3 years old you'd of treated him as a 3 year old, where as with Kane it's been all about his disability and not his age!! I honestly have never even taken his age into consideration when we've had 'issues', I've blamed everything on his eyes!!! She said that horses from Ireland mature later so even though he's now 7 he's still very young and has alot of learning to do. She is so right, I need to treat him as a young horse that is learning new things and not as a spooky partically sighted horse, she also said she'd noticed he spooks at sounds and not movements, which I'd not picked up on either...she said when she waved her hands about wearing a t-shirt he didn't react but when she'd put on her rain coat that made a noise he jumped when she waved!!!

She's a fab teacher!!! :biggrin:

That is such good advise Jacky, sounds like you have found a lovely instuctor :)

Sorry to hear Blue is unsettled Jayne, the new yard you are moving too sounds much nicer and I am sure he will settle much better, horses are so tuned into their environment I am sure he is picking up the nasty vibes where he is now :GroupHug:

Anne that does make lots of sense and it is something my RI suggested, and I did try it, and like you said it is a very strange feeling, we spent the whole time with his head over the school fence, and I have to admit I gave up trying :blush02: But now you have explained it so well and it sounds like you were having the exact same problem with Herbert, I have more confidence in the method to give it a proper go, thanks :flowers: And yes I would love you to come and visit and show me how it should be done when you get chance :biggrin:

Question for horsey people :) Does anyone know where I could get a line like this from? Line Only I want a hand loop on one end, rather than clips on both? Thank you :flowers:

TRPD have these if they are any good??

6. 21' long x 1" wide, navy blue webbing, recall training lead. F & G offer price: £6.50p

20C. 1" wide x approx. 30 foot long, olive green, standard webbing recall training lead/line. F & G offer price: £8.00p.

greenRecallTrainingLine.jpg

It's three years ago today since Dobbin left me, I still miss her so much! Have a lovely day at Rainbow Bridge my dear! Love from Mum and Wanda. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Dobby.jpg

There were pink and purple ribbons on the gate at the yard and flowers in the tackroom. Her shoe is embedded in the concrete in the gateway, I painted that pink too and Wanda is wearing a truly shockingly pink headcollar just for the weekend, Dobbin would have loved it, she was a very pink and purple girl! :)