UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: Lady T you are an absolute darling :wub: :wub: and as mummy is OBVIOUSLY depriving you I feel obligated to offer you a home with me :wub: :biggrin:

Oy you... :mad: get to the back of a very very long queue!! As soon as I've arranged the 'fella's' Lady T is coming to mine!!!! :ph34r_anim: :ph34r_anim:

BUT I have the ultimate ....a stunning young male who is will see to her every whim and follow her dutifully while swatting the flies from around her!!! :D

BUT she will be living surrounded by gorgeous TBs all battling for Lady T's attention :D hah!! :fight:

actually I give up, Kane is way more gorgeous than any TB

:rolleyes: :laugh:

I hope you lock LadyT up at night Sarah, I wouldn't trust those two :laugh: :laugh:

Hope the vet vist goes well for Wanda :flowers:

Yeehaaa Kane :biggrin:

Has anyone used a hanging cheek snaffle? Thinking of trying Loki in one, well I was doing research but never one to pass up a bargain I have on on the way to me :rolleyes: But cheap enough to sell on ebay if it doesn't work out. He is just hanging onto the right side of his myler comfort snaffle and not taking a contact on the left rein, and if I manage to get him even in both hands, all be it wonkey in his neck he backs off going forward, I put my leg on and it starts all over again :unsure:

He now has a rub on the inside of his mouth on the right, I feel like an awful mum :mecry:

Dentist is coming out again tomorrow, he only came out a few months ago, but at least I know he has been checked again. Saddle and back have been checked in the last few weeks, and a McTimoney lady is coming out on Monday. I think I have covered all bases.

Either way I have decided to give him a holiday, there are so many things just not quite right at the moment, I could push on regardless but have decided not too, bit gutted to miss the jumping derby and a couple of clinics but I think it is for the best. I go on holiday for a few days next week so he was getting a few days off anyway but have decided to start straight away and give him a good 10 days.

I am booked on an Andrew Gould clinic on the 19th and hopefully he will be able to advise what is going wrong :)

I do wonder if I worry too much, and I know people at the yard think I do, and that I should just get on with it, but how do I know if it is physical or just him testing out what he can get away with :unsure:

:GroupHug: It's such a worry Clare. You know Loki better than anyone else and if you feel something isn't right then a rest is the way to go. Although I am more likely to err on the side of suspicion with Kane as he is well known for taking the pi*s big time!!!! We were talking last night about how its very hard with some horses to tell the difference between discomfort or naughtyness!!

I'd feel guilty over the bit as well, one of the other girls on the yard uses the hanging cheek snaffle on her hunter and he goes nicely in it...but that said she has asked to borrow my triple barrell to see how he goes in that so it might not be that good!!! :rolleyes:

Very quick reply - will email you when I have more time! I used a hanging cheek with Rolo - I found it made him over bend - I think it encourages them to put their head down :huh: ? - will pick some brains at the yard tonight

Very true as the pressure is on the poll. I have a few Myler bits for Duke but they're a bit too thick for his mouth and that has caused rubs in the past. I've always found bitting a nightmare.

What's a tiple barrell Jacky?

Hope Wanda is better? :GroupHug:

Very true as the pressure is on the poll. I have a few Myler bits for Duke but they're a bit too thick for his mouth and that has caused rubs in the past. I've always found bitting a nightmare.

What's a tiple barrell Jacky?

89_30315-myler-lg.jpg

It's the Myler triple barrell bit, it's fab for Kane. It's lovely and soft until you need brakes!! Specifically for youngish unschooled horses that are strong! I'm hoping one day I'll be able to go back to a snaffle or even hopefully bitless but it's been a god send since I got it! And funnily enough he's 100 times more relaxed and comfortable in it than he ever was in the french link!

Thanks Jacky. How does it work?

I can't use a normal snaffle for Duke because I have no brakes if I do, it's as though he can't even feel it! When I was riding proper I went through everything, spoke to everyone, tried several and ended up with the one bit I was trying to replace - the Dr. Bristol. I know it's a bit that has a :ohmy: reflex with people but after going through a whole series and speaking to all the bitting people and trying their suggestions, the Dr Bristol is the only one that didn't rub him and gave me the brakes when I needed them. He is prone to over bending too. When I bought him he was ridden in a twisted snaffle now that really was :ohmy: hence why I always ask precisely what kind of snaffle when sellers say "snaffle mouthed" :laugh:

That's interesting, nice to know someone else has had issues with Mylers :flowers:

I seem to struggle with the size, 5" is too small, both my Mylers are 5.5" and they do look on the large size and do move through the mouth, which has probably not helped with rubbing, plus he has mega flabby lips :wacko:

:wavey: Hi All

You've all been so busy - there's no way I'll catch up!!

Have moved back up to mum and dad's so am having a nightmare trying to settle Blue at his new yard. In the field he was supposed to be, he was just cantering round and round and round all day. All the other owners were kicking off and telling me to get him out of their field as it was upsetting everything :mecry: We managed to move him to a different field, which you have to walk along a busy main road to get to from the stables, where he seems to have settled. I'm not happy where he is though, as in the winter there is no way I am walking him along that main road in the dark to put him in the stable. So, the poor lad is being moved again on Saturday to a yard where my cousin has her horses, apparently it's much more laid back and everyone is lovely.

Have had to stop my lessons on him as well, as it is too far for the instructor to travel, which is a shame, as the last 3 lessons, we seem to have really geled as a team and the instructor has been really proud of us. :mecry: