UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yay. Well done. Another sharer up and running.

I have my sharing agreement here to sign. Just frightened that it makes it all official and I am committed. (well I was along time ago but not to riding!!!)

My lesson yesterday was bit of a disaster. Firstly I got the wrong time. Then the owner had said she would get Dexter in as it was too hot for him to be out (the bullies in the field wont let him in the shade of the shelter when its hot). Got there and he was still out. Brought him in and he was sweating profusely down his neck and shoulders under the fly rug. Got off on the wrong foot really so wasnt a great lesson. Not helped by running into the side of the school at a canter. Oops.

Ouch Bobbysmum hope you didn't do any damage running into the side of the school :flowers: I have had some lovely bruises from doing that!

Congratulation on the share horse Angel *ahem* we do require pictures!

Good luck with the yard hunt Alison :flowers:

I have chunky calves and havn't had trouble with chaps, although I always go for ones with some elasticated parts, so I can squish my legs in :laugh: Never measured them though, just visited local tack shop and tried their range on until I found ones that fitted.

I was at the yard this moring at 6.30am plaiting :sleep: he was in a funny mood everything was scary, he stomped all the way in the trailer, I was dreading to see the state of him when I dropped the ramp but he was fine :wacko:

The warm up was heaving with about 7 other horses and I wasn't able to warm up in canter, what ever happened to left hand to left etiqet (sp?)in the warm up :unsure:

All the things that weren't scary the first time we went there were this time

The scary jumps and poles

Warm%20up%202.jpg

Monsters everywhere

Warm%20up.jpg

The test wasn't great, came out feeling quite dispondent, with my riding rather than Loki, instead of taking control and getting his attention I was just a passenger, as you can see from the video he took a dislike to C end on the left rein :laugh: Canter was shocking :rolleyes: But some parts look better on the video than I thought, he is such a clever boy :wub:

My mission was to improve my centre line, I don't remember them, so hopefully they weren't too bad!

I am just off to get my score and sheet :)

I agree with Jules, when he settles and you give him support he moves so nice. You really need to practice not letting your outer hand reign go slack, or asking him to stay with you and go in an outline is impossible to him :flowers:

I still stand by my words that he is one of my most favourite "internet-horses" and I'd love to come over one day and have a go :biggrin:

I have completely forgotten to tell you all that Herbert is back home. Do you remember the one I told you about that had been injured, and we walked him 20 minutes a day for 4 months? (and he was a bleedin' insane nightmare as well :laugh: )

He has been recouperating in Germany, and when they were riding him in trot for 20 minutes a day, and assured my boss he was nice, she went and got him home.

It was actually him she went to pick up the day baby Surprise died.

Fate would have it that from that day and until now my boss has had a really bad neck, so of course yours truly had to ride him. I am lucky, they told the trust, he IS nice! But boy oh boy oh boy... the first 2 or 3 days he was so stiff and heavy in my hands, I thought I'd get gorilla arms :huh:

A pair of spurs and a whip and my efficient riding ( :cool: :D ) has helped tremendously, and he is now much better. To begin with he would be a ton in your hands, especially the left, and transactions from trot to walk was slam head up. Not nice, but that is sorted now. He is also taking more support on the right reign, and is lots better generally. Of course, with all this actually having to WORK all of a sudden, he has had a couple of days of being a bit more stiff, and jumping into a canter when he felt tight, but he generally really wants to do well, he is such a star!

The past 3 days we have allowed him to canter a couple of minutes each way round. First time he didn't believe it! Bless his cotton socks, not having cantered for 8 months, and he has not even done the tiniest little buck. You've gotta love a horse like that! :wub:

I kinda feel like this is my treat for having walked him all those awful months, getting to ride him now. Especially as we see progress in him every day. :)

I'll stop bragging now :laugh: :blush02:

Edited by doggie mum

Aww Clare I love the dressage clip. I dont know how you can remember it all. I cant even find the letters in the school. If someone could explain to me the rationale behind the order they are in it might help. Otherwise I think alphabetical order might have been a bit more helpful. :biggrin:

I have signed my share agreement. I am a bit peeved now cos I have since discovered that one girl that I was hacking with during the week(extra riding as owner was away) doesnt hack out on the days I have Dexter as someone is schooling her horse each day and the other girl I could hack out with (but havent yet cos her horse is fast) her horse lost a shoe this weekend and she is leaving the yard in Sept/Oct. I am seriously worried that I wont have anyone to hack with the 3 days I have Dexter and I will confined to the school every day.

Come and coach me and Spanish Madam Anne!

Clare- Loki can work really, really well when he wants to, he has a nice outline when he applies himself, he is listening more to you, but still has difficulty concentrating for the full test - it will come.

Not such an awful test, and you sat the spook very well, don't feel too downhearted.

I went to play with my new Spanish boy yesterday. He backed up, came forward and we did a couple of lateral moves too. We also had lots of cuddles and scritches - he is a lovely Little Chap.

Not bad for 12 weeks old hey? :wub: :wub:

once you and Dexter get to know each other, you may find that you are confident to hack out on your own :flowers:

btw, I cannot answer your question about why the letters are where they are, and I too have the deepest respect for anyone who can remember dressage tests. Personally I am more the make it up as you go along type of rider :laugh:

Oh Clare - he is such a lovely boy! And his canter is 100% better than Rolo's :) Spook was well ridden too :)

Had my session with the animal communicator yesterday - will not bore you with all the details, but one very interesting thing was that she kept getting "accident" from him. I gave nothing away initially, but I then I explained that I had had an accident, so she said she would try to get Rolo to open up about it. Initially she just got that he was extremely stressed about it and that it was entirely his fault – true! She then probed a bit further and asked me if the accident happened on a path with shrubs at the side – it did. She then pushed a bit more and came back with “Snakes! He has a phobia about snakes or anything that looks like one that he may catch out of the corner of his eyeâ€. If he thinks he sees a snake he can’t control himself and loses the plot. Spooky – Sarah thought it may have been a snake from his reaction the first time. From the sound of it, the second fall has upset him greatly (it was much worse than the first and he did catch me with his hooves), and he is stressing himself out as he knows it was his fault, and all he wanted to do was protect me and he cocked it up because he was so scared! :laugh:

There was lots more stuff - some of it spookily accurate!

I am still a bit cynical, but the snake thing would make absolute sense - the spooks are spectacular and completely out of charachter

I am off to the Early Learnign Centre tomorrow to buy some snakes!!! :laugh:

I've got purple ones with pink stars! :D :D

Do check your sizes though, I have chunky monkey legs so bought the XL which are too big because they are stretchy as well. :biggrin:

Clare I just watched your vid, a lovely free walk, could I suggest you slow the trot down a little and take the hands a little higher. I still think you are fighting your saddle a bit, it does seem to be pushing you chair seated which has an effect on how you use your legs. I did see parts where he really took the contact forward showing some nice balance, you are both doing great. :flowers: It's really nice to see your vids, keep 'em coming, 'cos I want to see him when he starts medium trot, he will be super!

My niece Kate parted company from Wanda in the arena today after a small jump. She has a habit of sticking her legs back and this time went out of the side door, no damage done fortunately but it's a long way down. Wanda obligingly stopped and regarded Kate on the floor with mild interest, she would be thinking 'err Kate, shouldn't you be on top really'. No blood test result for Wanda yet so we are still just ticking over so jumping was a short, low session just to help Kate get her balance. Well that failed didn't it. :biggrin:

Jen, I'm not a communicator or anything and I too was cynical about anything like it but I definately 'got' something from Dobbin. There were times when I could feel her distress and anger, it came off her so strongly it was well, a bit unnerving really. I know something horrible happened to her because of the whip scars on her bum and also that she lost her foal, I also knew when her allergies were affecting her before her breathing became laboured because if I touched her I felt it too, my chest would go tight for a short time and my nose would itch like crazy. If you feel it's right for Rolo I would go with it, it can't do any harm either way.