UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

What a brave boy Loki is! Well done Clare. :flowers:

Glad Apple is feeling well - but not too well, for your sake!! :biggrin:

Bloomin communicator seems to have addled my brain!! :laugh:

There was a bit of a mix up with Rolo's hay yesterday which mean that he went quite a few hours with nothing to eat - not the end of the world, but, he does have issues about being hungry. As a consequence he was in a bit of a mood when I got up there yesterday evening - I led him around the sandschool with snakey looking things in there, but all he wanted to do was eat. Godzilla could have been in there and he would have just been focussing on the trees around the edge! :laugh: There was someone else riding in there at the time, so I took him back to his stable and tied him up outside with a haynet. Not interested. he wanted to be out, thank you very much. He then started to stomp the ground - he never does that when tied up outside. :) He did stop when told not too, but was clearly in a strop.

In order to get to the field we have to go through a barn - the upstairs of the barn is where we all keep our feeds etc. Just as we were going through, someone decided to move a heavy feed bin directly over our heads - he shot out! He kept trying to eat all the way down to the field and was generally a complete pain! When we did get to the field - he couldn't wait to start stuffing his face. :laugh:

I lead my friend's horse down on a Monday, so when I went back down and turned him out, I walked up to Rolo - we gave each other a bit of a groom, and I found myself saying to him, out loud, "I just wanted to check that we are OK!" :huh: :laugh:

I think I have formally lost my marbles!! By the way, I think we are OK!! :laugh:

Vids look good Anne :biggrin:

That was better than coming 6th in dressage :laugh:

:biggrin:

The pics and vids look fab Anne, he looks lovely - and no negative comments about your riding at all - you look really well balanced despite him getting heavy he doesn't seem to pull you forward at all.

I have had 2 lessons in the last few days with Apple, he is going really well and my instructor is really pleased with both of us - I seem to have improved a bit with my hands and he is feeling on top of the world - we have even started to spook at things when we are out and about - not like him at all - something tells me he is feeling well!!!!

: :blush02:

and :laugh: for apple, you know they feel good when everything suddenly becomes a monster! :rolleyes:

"I just wanted to check that we are OK!" :huh: :laugh:

:laugh:

He is lovely :wub: Good luck hope they contact you soon :flowers:

Hope Gooster doesn't mind but in case anyone else is as nosy as me :laugh: Gorgeous Senior

Jayne he looks stunning...and not too unlike a certain young lady that you rode recently!! :laugh: :wink: If he's half as safe as Minty you're onto a winner!!

Anne Herbert is stunning! Can't see the vid's but the photo's are great!

Had a day off yesterday, arranged to meet my friend Liz. Only problem is she keeps her horse in the next village to me, so I had to lead Kane out alone!! First time since he threw me off while trying to mount alone that I've been brave enough but I just thought sod it! Anyway it was like leading the dead, until I got to the mare and foal in the next farm and he perked up then!!! :laugh: Met my friend, got on and we had a fantastic hack! He used to live with her Icelandic cos she was on livery in our fields so he knows Joda very well, so there was no snorting or showing off (in fact he pretty much ignored her!!). So end of the ride and Liz had to go one way and me the other! She said what did I want to do, because the lane was very quiet I said if you just stop and I'll carry on and see if he reacts, if he kicks off I'll just dismount and walk home (didn't want to walk cos it was a couple of mile to home!!). Well he didn't make a peek! I rode him all the way home, even up the main road and he just was perfect! He did get a tiny bit giddy on the grass track that we usually canter up, but he came back when I asked! I can't tell you how excited I was, I haven't ridden Kane alone for years and it was wonderful! I couldn't stop grinning all afternoon!! Can't wait to do it again!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh well done Kane, what a good boy :biggrin:

There is nothing quite like riding out just you and your horse is there :wub:

I had a jumping lesson last night it was great :biggrin: We normally do grid work but RI decided we would practise a course, jumping from canter :ohmy: I am so lucky he is a good boy otherwise RI would have been picking me up from the floor a lot :laugh: I saw some long ones and my very wise baby ignored me and sorted himself out :wub:

RI sneakily increased the height I swear they were a good 3ft but our wings must be marked wrong as they said 2.3ft :dry:

Oooh just remembered Gooster have you heard from them yet? :elefant:

Edited by Clare

Gooster - give them a ring. The suspense is killing me. :biggrin:

Well done to Kane for being a good boy. So glad you had a lovely time.

Well done on jumping lesson Clare I expect they were 3ft. I had a friend who had all her wings marked wrong when she was a child cos her mother didnt want her jumping higher than a certain height :rolleyes:

Had an email back from them. There is an initial deposit of at least £1000, plus £160 per month for the lease. You have to buy all the tack, rugs, insure them yourself etc, as well as pay for the full livery.

Don't think I will be going down that route somehow :mellow:

Had an email back from them. There is an initial deposit of at least £1000, plus £160 per month for the lease. You have to buy all the tack, rugs, insure them yourself etc, as well as pay for the full livery.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!

Well that's a money making scheme if ever, it's outrageous. :angry:

Well done Kane, what a good boy! Wanda is sending you a cyber carrot! She is enjoying being on the sick list by the way, she has a notice on her door saying 'Quiet Please, I'm ill'. I Googled Equine Anaemia and it came up with Swamp Fever links, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, shut is down PDQ, it was not helpful. Vet thinks she's probably had a bit of a virus that hasn't show any particular symtoms but has just knocked her back a lot. Have to wait and see until next blood test. :unsure:

Clare, Loki has another member joining his fan club, I sent his last dressage vid to YO and she thinks he's sooooooooooooo nice and loved his free walk! He'll have to start sending out signed photos next! :biggrin:

:laugh: Sounds like everyone liked his free walk except for the judge!

Glad Wanda is enjoying her sick leave :wub: . Never ever google illnesses :wacko: I am sure her next bloods will be fine and she will be back to herself in no time :flowers:

Gooster that is crazy money!! You are better off saving that money a buying your own horse in future :flowers:

I know, the only reason I looked at leasing one is because I will have probably outgrown any horse I get now ability wise in about 6 months of regular riding. Unfortunately there are no sensible horses at the yard we are at now for me to ride. I can't make any progress unless I can ride regularly, but there's no point me buying one now, because I probably won't be able to get anything I will be able to compete with and ride safely. A loan horse would be an option, but most owners prefer the horse to stay on their yard, which I'm not keen to do, as I need someone I can trust there to tell me I'm being a spanner and sitting wrongly :rolleyes:

Look for a loan! :flowers:

I have had 3 horses on loan and not one of them stayed at the owners yard - Nemo came to me as a loan 7 years ago!

I have also loaned a pony pout - and he went miles away - as did my friend.

They are out there , and towards the end of the Summer, there will be a glut - just be careful that you do not get lumbered with looking after someone's horse over winter only to have them take it back in the Spring. :)

I am not at all suprised by what safecobs were charging - ludicrous amount of money!

What do you actually get for the money you pay them then? Not much it seems.

I know, the only reason I looked at leasing one is because I will have probably outgrown any horse I get now ability wise in about 6 months of regular riding. Unfortunately there are no sensible horses at the yard we are at now for me to ride. I can't make any progress unless I can ride regularly, but there's no point me buying one now, because I probably won't be able to get anything I will be able to compete with and ride safely. A loan horse would be an option, but most owners prefer the horse to stay on their yard, which I'm not keen to do, as I need someone I can trust there to tell me I'm being a spanner and sitting wrongly :rolleyes:

I wouldn't necessarily say a horse that can help you now would be outgrown in the future, unless you are looking to compete seriously?

If I remember rightly you rode out on the beach with Jacky, so are not a total beginner. There are special horses out there who would do both, I personally wouldn't discount finding a horse that could help you learn and then go on to compete :flowers:

Needing very little excuse to browse Horsemart, :laugh: for example Ad and the family friends section here HorseQuest The first grey gelding is :wub: , oh and the second bay gelding :wub: I knew there was a reason I don't visit those sites often :laugh:

Not trying to railroad you into buying but don't want you to discount either, loaning is not always the best option :flowers: