UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Had a lesson last night and he went really well, was very proud mum :wub: Hopefully we have now worked out how to halt on the centre line without being very crocked (sp?), that is my mission on Sunday, not to get wobbly and crocked as a comment on my centre lines :laugh:

Excellent, I find centre lines really difficult :flowers: My marks sheet once said 'Wavering badly' :laugh:

Random horse fact: Despite my vigilance, ie. no grass, coming in at night, wearing a muzzle etc., it looks like Domino has laminitis again. Ho hum

Random horse fact: Despite my vigilance, ie. no grass, coming in at night, wearing a muzzle etc., it looks like Domino has laminitis again. Ho hum

Oh no!! :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Shame Clare I was looking forward to hearing about the yard! Take it you've got another show on sunday? No stopping you now!!! :laugh: :flowers:

So excited, my friend is bringing her horse to stay on saturday, I've got a week of half days so we're going riding everyday next week!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: I really want Lynn to take some more people on livery cos she doesn't ride enough for me and I'm still not able to hack Kane out alone.

:GroupHug: So sorry - what about bringing him during the day and out at night - think there are less sugars in the grass overnight or something :unsure: Sorry, probably talking complete nonsense!

My little black rain cloud of the last few weeks is gradually lifting! That last fall really upset me (and am still unable to sleep/ move properly/ride) as a result. :rolleyes: Plus it was my birthday which made me sit back and take a long hard look at my situation. (As you do!) Not always a good thing to do!

Good news is, I really do adore my little cart horse and know that there is not an ounce of malice in his entire body - I went for a very quiet pootle around the school on him on Sunday , with me seat saver, and felt a bit more secure, and he was as good as gold. Been flapping all sorts around him to try to desensitise him to flappy things, and we are getting there. Washed all of him, including his legs at the weekend, and he was verging on relaxed! So, when you look back at the skinny little thing that would not let me even near his legs a few months ago, enormous progress has been made :) The falling is unsettling, but it is not the end of the world - although I am not ready to hack him out on the roads again just yet - but I am sure that I will look back at this in a years time and laugh. :)

Good luck with the yard Clare - and riding straight lines on a young horse is very difficult! On my last lesson, Mimi made me ride with one arm behind my back - it was hilarious - we were all over the place! Not a soingle straight line in an entire lap of the school!

Oh no poor Domino, hope it is a mild case and he is feeling better soon :flowers: :GroupHug:

Ooh Jacky that sounds like fun :biggrin: Is your friend's horse staying at your stables or just a holiday?

I am indeed venturing out again on Sunday, to the place we went last month :) I am in the doghouse a bit as our yard is holding their dressage same day, but could not guarantee that my class wouldn't be on grass, and we aren't balenced enough yet to do counter canter on grass. Plus they are doing prelim 10 again, and having done that three times now i fancied a change. Although after not having to learn a new test for ages suddenly it doesn't seem such a good idea :laugh:

I think 12 is slightly nicer than 10 in that counter canter stops at X which will give us more time to get together but bad thing is that we have to go straight into canter again at H - C :ohno02:

Oh and I have to go from freewalk 1/2 20m circle E-B to medium wak progressing to trot before M and canter M-C yeah right, the video will be well worth a watch :biglaugh:

Glad the cloud is lifting Jen :flowers:

Edited by Clare

Oh dear, I must be going a little senile, Bradders, I read that Nemo threw you over a sheep, it conjured up quite a picture :biggrin:

Two nedds on the yard went to a local show last week and now have a virus, green snot and slightly swollen glands, not really sick in bed but both feeling off a bit. Unfortunately one has been in with Wanda so I'm hoping she doesn't pick it up.

I've had a blood sample taken from Wanda and requesed a full work up, just as a precaution really, I don't know if she's bored, bloody lazy or what. She really enjoyed her canter work with Sam but once back on the yard she went back to sleep again, I can walk off and leave her while I go pick up forgotten items from the tack room and she won't move and ends up with her nose nearly on the floor. YO thinks it's behavioural but I would like to be sure, I'm not going to push her if something is wrong, she hasn't always been this switched off, it's been the last six months or so and I think it's getting worse. Results on Friday!

:GroupHug: for Domino, I hope he's not in too much pain.

Clare, which test is it? Wanda got an 8 for her centre line in P18 last week even with a wiggle, but I have to admit the marks were incredibly high for everyone, people were getting 9s! :wacko: Wanda had 65.4% for a shockingly bad test. :biggrin:

Kept meaning to ask how you were getting on Jen! :GroupHug: Glad you feel better, it does take time. I thought I'd got over the getting on thing, then last week had a major wobble over it again...of course resulting in a horrible 20 minutes schooling cos me being a jelly head so him napping and over reacting to things!! You will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about!! Tell you what I'm definately getting a knackered old one next time though!!! :laugh: These youngsters will be the death of us!! :wink:

Golly I can't keep up with things, everyone is so quick to post. Clare I've done 12 a few times now and it really flows! When I first read it I thought oh sh**t, because of my dreadful memory and it seemed so complicated but it was great and I didn't have it commanded, now that's rare! :biggrin:

Golly I can't keep up with things, everyone is so quick to post. Clare I've done 12 a few times now and it really flows! When I first read it I thought oh sh**t, because of my dreadful memory and it seemed so complicated but it was great and I didn't have it commanded, now that's rare! :biggrin:

Phew that is good to know thanks :flowers:

I hope Wanda's test come back clear, I would be the same and go the blood route first. Lets hope she is just getting mellow in her old age :GroupHug:

Blimey, you lot have been busy!!!

Sorry to hear Domino isn't feeling so good - hope it is mild and he will get over it quickly.

Hope the bloods come back clear for Wanda and she is just mellowing and getting calmer.

Good luck with the dressage Claire - I seem to remember really liking Prelim 12 when I last did it - it does seem to flow and seems much easier for a younger horse than Prelim 10.

Glad you are feeling a bit happier Jen - it will all come right with time and patience - Rolo sounds like such a sweet, lovely boy that is just a bit green and gets spooked - I know what you mean about the round ponies being harder to sit on - I know Apple can be when he gets one on him!!!

I am starting training hard now ready for the nationals - have set up a 60m x 20m arena in the field that is finally now dry enough to ride on, have got a few lessons booked over the next 3 weeks so will hopefully get it all sorted in time. The only major concern I've got now is that the girl I know who qualified for the prelim nationals is now saying she might not be going - which means I might have no transport to get him down there, I really can't afford to pay £400 to use a transporter - any suggestions???

First of all :GroupHug: for Domino and hope he recovers quickly

Hope Wanda's blood comes back all clear and that she is just feeling calm and serene with the nice warm dry weather. Must say Dexter is very similar. He just seems to chill to a point he could be frozen.

Good luck with the dressage Claire. It all sounds very foreign to me who has had one lesson in the school and cant even find the letters!!!! Why arent they in alphabetical order!!!! My circles were more like ovals in my lesson. I dont think I could ever put myself through the humiliation of a test.

Jen nice to hear from you and sorry that you are still uncomfortable. That must have been hell of a whack.

After all the talk of sheep, I had no idea how Dexter was with livestock so fate would have it we had to hack past a field of Angus cows today. All right up against the fence next to the road to get out the sun!!!! He walked past but wasnt very sure about the situation. He was a bit jumpy today but the horse he was hacking with was spookier than normal too. We had already had a close encounter with a skip lorry that had stopped to load a skip and we were just going past that when the lorry that houses the mobile library came the other way followed by a removal van. All the traffic came together and then we didnt see another vehicle for ages!!!!

We were nearly back to the yard when we met a JCB digging up the road. Neither were particularly keen as the JCB was on one side and the rest of the road works on the other so had to walk between them. The JCB was switched on but not moving. It was Dexter that led the way in the end. Caroline, who I was riding with, was surprised how brave he was. It seems though that Dexter and Nippy are quite bonded and help each other out. When one is worried the other takes the lead. I have hacked out 3 times now. I am :biggrin: but am worried it seems too good to be true and something will happen soon to spoil it all.

I think Dexter knows me a bit more now. Its only been a few weeks but we seem to be over the leading problems and mostly over the mounting block problems too. I have ridden him 4 times in the last 5 days as his owner is away so I think that has helped as no gaps between my days coming round again.

Don't worry about it Bobbysmum. You are doing brilliantly. :flowers:

I rode for years and only came off once, in a jumping lesson. I knew it was going to happen when the mares ears went up halfway over the jump. That was her signal for a dead halt on landing!! :ohmy: I went over her head with all the grace of an elephant and landed next to a pile of poo!!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Jen nice to hear from you and sorry that you are still uncomfortable. That must have been hell of a whack.

:) Went to see my physio last week and he reckons about 6 weeks til everything is finally back to normal :ohmy: And he thought I should start being comfortable enough to sleep properly by the end of this week :) Am certainly feeling a lot more mobile that I was. Desperately need a decent night's sleep tho! :laugh:

You are doing so well Bobby's mum :) Dexter sounds like a little star and the two of you sound as if you are getting on like a house on fire :)

Thanks for the words of support everyone - rode in the school again tonight - only about 15 mins - he was a little monkey to mount, but we got there in the end! We only did walk and trot and a few poles, but we are getting there slowly!

How was the yard Clare?

Bobbysmum, you are doing great :flowers: Dexter sounds an absolute star to contend with what he does out hacking, if that was Loki we would probably still be running in the opposite direction now :laugh:

The yard was nice, had a lovely school and horse walker with rubber flooring! Both which are on this yard but shared with the other yard, but the two are very separate, even has its own drive and parking! Stables were big, the place needed tidying a bit but the farmer was on the case and had started, plenty of room for the trailer. Very secure and tucked away down a very long farm track, really nice hacking from the end of the drive.

But, you knew there was a but didn't you :rolleyes: about 1/2 acre of grazing :mellow: which has already been trashed and has no grass. Personally I wouldn't say there was enough for two horses, and because of the rent we would need to fill all seven stables. The rent was £1000 a month which included a nice mobile home, so was do-able if we considered moving house, but can't look past having no land :mecry:

Oh well it was a good experience :)