UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

When we were looking at transporting Loki back and forward to hospital the most cost effective way was hiring a self drive box like this Linky :)

That looks great Clare, unfortunately I don't think I'm covered on my driving license to drive them, I'll look into it but I'm pretty sure that I am only covered to drive a car, they changed it all about 6 months before I was old enough to take my test :glare:

Morning

Bobbysmum you're doing brilliantly! Well done! :flowers: He does sound like a cracking horse! Kane and Danny have the same relationship as Dexter and Nippy, if one won't go passed something then the other will!

Shame about the yard...can't quiet see how he thinks he's going to rent that out ever!!! :unsure: I wouldn't graze 1 horse on 1/2 acre let alone 7!!!!

Had a lovely hack out last night, just a little one to the beach and back but had some fun!! There's a little church near the beach that is being done up and they'd obviously been putting new carpet in and they'd left all the plastic and stuff on the lane, so Minty wasn't too keen but walked right round it..you know literally in the hedge :laugh: , Kane then wasn't sure what he was to do...didn't really want to go passed but then again couldn't leave Minty!! So we jumped it!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: Lynn couldn't believe her eyes...I was a tad shocked too tbh!! The blokes in the church yard came running cos they thought I'd come off!!! It was a most amazing jump and he really can clear the ground!! :laugh: :laugh: Luckily I love jumping and have absolutely no fear of him doing it becuase he's so safe...we made a slight detour on the return journey though, didn't fancy trying it twice!! :wink:

Shame about the yard...can't quiet see how he thinks he's going to rent that out ever!!! :unsure: I wouldn't graze 1 horse on 1/2 acre let alone 7!!!!

Ironically Polo would be best suited there, they don't tend to turn out much during the season :(

Morning

Had a lovely hack out last night, just a little one to the beach and back but had some fun!! There's a little church near the beach that is being done up and they'd obviously been putting new carpet in and they'd left all the plastic and stuff on the lane, so Minty wasn't too keen but walked right round it..you know literally in the hedge :laugh: , Kane then wasn't sure what he was to do...didn't really want to go passed but then again couldn't leave Minty!! So we jumped it!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: Lynn couldn't believe her eyes...I was a tad shocked too tbh!! The blokes in the church yard came running cos they thought I'd come off!!! It was a most amazing jump and he really can clear the ground!! :laugh: :laugh: Luckily I love jumping and have absolutely no fear of him doing it becuase he's so safe...we made a slight detour on the return journey though, didn't fancy trying it twice!! :wink:

Cripes that would have been me on the deck without a doubt. I would hope they cleared it up straight away.

Ironically Polo would be best suited there, they don't tend to turn out much during the season :(

I presume it would be a very small polo yard, only having 7 stables. What would they do outside the season? Move out elsewhere for grazing? Such a shame there was not a decent amount of land.

The yard I am in has empty stables not in use. They are near the big house and they use them for storage. Its a shame they have all this land and stables and they arent horsey people. All our stables and indoor school are out of sight of the house. When the horses graze in the fields near the house we have to poo pick the field scrupulously as they dont like to look out down the garden and see poo in the fields beyond.

Hmmm - the grazing situation does sound a bit dire - such a shame as iit sounded perfect up until then! :biggrin:

Kane is such a clever boy!! Maybe you should do "handy pony" classes with him!

Rode again today - he was an absolute pig to mount, but gave in eventually. (We did lots of getting on practice when I had finished riding :rolleyes: ) Think this may be his attempt to assert himself on the situation - he was certainly not scared. We will get there. :)

I was seriously impressed with him today - I had just got off when a helicopter came literally over the top of us - not a murmur from him! (It's obviously the invisible horse eating monsters that lurk in tarmac that scare the living daylights out of him :laugh: :laugh: )

Continuing the desensitising to flappy things on his back - he was very upset by the tabard bweing fapped all around him today, but he did settle eventually.

We will get there is rapidly becoming my mantra!!

Why is it that it seems horses cope with the "scary" things and are terrifed of the hidden monsters :laugh:

You will indeed get there :flowers:

Ok sensitive subject, I want to give my farrier the boot after he has shod Loki next week as his feet are gettting longer and longer and he is barely going 5 weeks on shoes which there is no reason for, as his feet are good if a little flat. I am worried what damage it may be doing to his legs :( I have spoken to him twice now about it and he says his feet are fine. I have no way of knowing whether that is right or not but going on my gut instinct I want to try and find someone else (might be easier said than done though!).

Not sure how to tell him, he is a very gobby hot headed bloke and I really don't want to tell him in person :blush02: I am thinking maybe a text, but what do I say that won't offend him! Any ideas :flowers: Ah also doesn't help that the main farrier on the yard is his best mate :rolleyes:

I recently changed my farrier - I was getting to the stage that the balance of Apple's feet was going after only about 3 weeks - no way was I going to get his shoes done that often. I just didn't re-book him, he still came to the yard to do a couple of other horses and never commented on it - does help that the others have stopped having him now too for the same reasons.

Well I can't comment on what to say tactfully...cos I told ours that if he ever set foot on Lynn's land again I wouldn't be responsible for my actions!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Luckily the best farrier on the island has agreed to take us on, unfortunately he's completely and utterly unreliable but as Lynn is pretty much there most of the time we've decided it's worth the risk! I used him first time I had Kane shod and he was fantastic, his wife has a partically sighted nervous nelly of a horse too and he knew exactly how to handle him. So fingers crossed he turns up!!! :laugh: :laugh:

When Nemo only went 4 weeks between shoeings, (as opposed to 7 when he came!) - I wrote to my farrier and explained why I was unhappy.

Then fate took a hand - my old farrier who had gone AWOL a couple of years earlier, turned up on the yard to shoe a new livery - perfect opportunity to move Nemo back to him :)

The wierd thing is that the farrier that I wrote to is a superb farrier, but Nemo just did not suit his way of shoeing.

Tricky situation Clare - does your farrier do Natural balance shoeing - if not, you could say that you are moving Loki to someone that does as you want to give it a go? :huh:

hello! hope u get farrier sorted jackie! went to see Tiffany last sunday (poss horse share) it was pouring with rain, really not nice. We went to stables where they are being moved to first, the stables are just being built at the mo but its in really good area for hacking although slightly further away. Then we went to where she is being kept at the moment. Gave her a groom and she seemed very nice natured wanting cuddles and nuzzling me as i picked her feet. I then led her out to field - not im quite used to letting the cobs at work out and they just plod along etc. Turned her towards me, took her head collar off and she spun round and galloped off!

anyway heres a pic....

tiffhead.jpg

am going to ride her hopefully next fri when her current sharer is back off hol....

Oooh she looks lovely :biggrin: Fingers crossed it all works out :flowers:

I think a honest ish text then is the way to go, I was thinking of the not booking him in again, but as I am rarely there when he is shod, the farrier tends to book him in and wait for me to text him to find out the date, I would gate for him to turn up :laugh:

I am fighting hard to be patient and wait for him to shoe him next Friday before I start calling round farriers, don't want him going off in a huff, mind you if his shoes stay on until next Friday I will be amazed :rolleyes:

Hoping for good news about Wanda's bloods today :flowers:

Hope you get good news on Wanda's blood tests.

I am so glad that as I only share I dont have to worry about farriers and the like. From what I have read on here they are an unreliable breed. Dexter has natural balance shoes. Being a numpty I dont know the significance of this from any other sort of shoe.

Can I ask you opinion of my sharing contract everybody?

"Each party agrees to give 2 months notice to terminate this agreement at any time" Is this the usual length of time?

If horse is unrideable for more than 8 weeks consecutively I can cease payment until he becomes rideable again. Is this reasonable length of time? I dont know how long horses can be off work for illness/injury.

The owner needs surgery and will be in plaster for 12 weeks. During this time she is thinking of moving back to her family and taking Dexter with her. I dont know where this stands in relation to the agreement. Similarly if I was ill and unable to ride for a similar length of time, where I would stand.

I will hold off returning the agreement til tomorrow so I have your valued comments. :biggrin:

It sounds reasonable to me, but not sure about the bit where she's going to take him away for 12 weeks? Bit confused about that. :unsure:

Phoenix she looks stunning!! Not that impressed with the name but what can you do!! :laugh: :laugh: Got a beautiful kind face!! :wub: Just hope the riding isn't anything like the letting off the lead rope bit!! Could be fun!!! :wink:

Bobbysmum, I don't have any experience in share contract so can't offer any advice really :flowers: But seems to sounds reasonable.

I would be a bit upset in your shoes if she did take him away for three months, only becuse of missing him, I understand her reasons for it :) Perhaps now she has you to help she might keep him where he is, I presume she won't charge you for this time if he does go away :unsure:

Tentatively going to mention that in half an hour I am going to the stables to meet a lady about the "possible" share/loan of her mare Abby :unsure: Basically I mentioned to a friend that Steve has given the OK for me to have a horse on loan and she said that this woman was looking for someone as she cannot ride Abby anymore due to her being too wide for her (she has recently had hip problems, owner not horse). Obviously a few things to discuss with her before I know if it is a goer.

I am nervous :wacko: