UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh Clare :unsure:

Has anyone checked his airways to make sure theyre not blocked by something? Maybe try riding him without a noseband to see if its interefereing? Hopefully you can get the vet out asap, I so hope Loki will come good again :GroupHug:

Milo has been super this week. It was my last lesson with my instructor on Thursday so we started off by doing some flatwork and finished up with popping a few jumps, the last one we did was 3'6" :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Bizarrely enough the height didnt bother me so much, I just didnt believe it was physically possible to get over, but we did :wub: Did some flat work with him today and he feels fantastic at the moment. He's really uphill and super light in his contact and hes developed a stunning collected canter, it feels brilliant :biggrin: His lateral work is really coming along too, his leg yielding is getting better all the time and ive started doing some shoulder-in with him recently too. What a star he's turning out to be, I havnt even had him a year yet :wacko:

We move yards on Saturday - im half excited and half dreading it - fear of the unknown I guess :laugh: Have moved most of my stuff home so it can be taken to new yard, so kind of half organised! Still tonnes of stuff left at the yard, it amazes me how much stuff we accumilate without realising :rolleyes:

Oh Clare what a shame it's all started again. Does he have a big tongue or fleshy lips? My Dobbin had and Sam's Obe does, so they both used very thin bits as bigger ones made it impossible for them to swallow so cue panic attacks and flinging heads, would be great if Loki's problem was that simple. Did his heart rate go down fairly quickly when you stopped riding him? Could it be some sort of panic attack? I do hope you get to the bottom of his problems soon!

Gooster - I'm sure Blue would have picked up that you are not feeling well and reacted accordingly, once you are better he'll be back to normal I'm sure.

My news is I've had to give up my plans for driving Banner, as her education progressed her behaviour suddenly worsened to the stage of several fairly serious bolts, fortunately in the arena where she could be circled, I can't risk this happening on the roads and coupled with her developing an odd few strides as the work increased I think it's better to stop now. Her daughter Lilli may have a go when she is older but her problem is that she is either autistic or brain damaged, her responses are a bit odd and she makes no connection with anyone. Neither of them have to do anything though, I'm quite happy with them being cute and even if Lilli is not cuddly Banner certainly is!

:GroupHug: Loki and Clare :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: PW, shame you cant drive Banner but far more sensible to give up now.

I appear to have a speedi beet addict :rolleyes: I use it in feeds in the autumn/winter so started my lot on it last week. Fern went potty :laugh: she reached over and grabbed the wooden spoon i was using to mix the beet in with and she literally scoffs her food as fast as she can. She loves it, Annie and Bumble enjoy it but Fern is taking it to the extreme!!

Milo sounds like hes going beautifully :biggrin:

I agree that Blue was picking up on you not feeling well :GroupHug:

I have had bad sinus problems for a long time and my doctor has said its an allergy, probably to do with the horses. Now whenever i do the hay or hage i'm coming out in a rash over my arms. Trouble is i wear t shirts or if its long sleeved top i roll the sleeves up :rolleyes: So i assume its hay causing my sinus problems, anyone else have the same problem? If so what do you do.

Well done Milo :flowers: :wub:

Sounds like you have made the right decision about driving Banner PW, like you say, they are that cute, they don't really *need* a job!

One of my friends had a hay allergy, she had to wear a dust mask when doing nets to stop it giving her terrible sinus probs. Could be worth trying that.

Did the dressage with Blue today. It has been raining for a few days here, and at this venue the warm up was on grass :rolleyes: As there were 3 classes before mine, it was so churned up and boggy, I just couldn't get him working at all. Only dared to have a couple of strides of canter on each rein too. However when we got in for the test, again he zoned in on what I wanted him to do, and was totally non spooky. I think because my confidence has grown, he isn't feeling me tensing, which means he isn't looking out for stuff to spook at. Anyway, I made a bit of a mess of the sizing of my serpentine loops, and he anticipated the canter (having ridden the same test 2 weeks ago), so he went into canter before I asked, which set me off balance a bit. But he was much more forwards in the canter, which is where we lost marks last time.

Anyhow, we ended up on 61.67% and in joint 8th place. I was thinking it was about a 60% test, so was pleased to get above that, and in the top ten in such a big class!!

Its a shame about Banner..but there is always pony agility!...LOL you know you want to..we all want you to so we can see the photos...:)

Poor Loki....I hope you can get to the bottom of it... it might be worth keeping a diary or marking it on the calander maybe...to see if there is a patern....

Well done you and Blue dressage in a boggy field is never much fun....looks like we are in for a warm spell... watch out for a grass burst...

Did anyone else watch Inside Natures Giants las week about the TB Horse...very interesting...if a little ew!

Nature's Giants was amazing, the lungs part was so informative. At least the poor horse has made some sort of contribution.

I've been to see a driving pony tonight, just a bit too small and hasn't driven for a few years. I'd would have coped with the size as she was a chunky litle thing but the non driving is just a bit too much of a risk. Not the prettiest pony ever but well cute and cuddly!

I have one to see tomorrow, a Norweigan Trotter, now what on earth is that? I'm going to Google it, could be interesting. This one comes with vehicle and harness if required and can be shown driven! Sadly the harness is a revolting shade of purple so I would not be interested in that! Watch this space!

my friend was lied to about the horse. she got told they didnt know much about him, he was brought down by the owner and put out the grass. my friend has found you tube videos of the girl who owned him, having the horse at those stables!

he was a calm quiet horse when we saw him. within days of getting him hes jumpy all the time, has jumped out of the paddock, kicked my friend in the head and thrown the lady off him. hes going back with a stern talking to.why lie? its dangerous!

the more annoying thing,is he came with nothing, so they have gone out and bought it all, used it on him so cant take it back, doubt if the next horse will be the same size. his feet were terrible,so they have had him shod, not cheap

Well done Gooster that is a fab result, especially as you weren't able to warm up :biggrin:

Pony agility for Banner :D Good luck finding a new driving pony, I am off to google Norweigan trotter too :laugh:

I missed Natures Giants on purpose as Im quite sqeamish but wish I'd watched it now as would have been good to learn more especially about the lungs.

So sorry your friends have been mis-sold their horse, sadly there are far too many dishonest sellers :angry: Really hope they can get their money back and haven't been too put off finding the right horse :flowers:

Vet came out yesterday, it wasn't my usual vet but we have seen this guy before he is nice but very abrupt and no nonsense and I always end up feeling really foolish in his presense :rolleyes: Anyway he dismissed teeth and didn't look in his mouth, he gave a good argument why it wasn't so fair enough and if I am still not happy with his behaviour in a month or so I will just get the dentist out.

He felt the mouthing / frothing was normal and a good thing, I think we agreed to disagree there as it is unusual for him and I don't think its a good thing and nor will a dressage judge :laugh: But for now I will view it as a schooling problem and hope it settles down.

I have thought about borrowing a hackamore K9Fan but have never seen one used let alone used one, so find the thought of fitting and riding in it daunting but might research that some more as it would make sense to see if he was less active in his mouth using it :flowers:

The upshot was that he does have a higher resting heart and respiratory rate but not as bad as before and better than it was over the weekend. I had to canter around for 10 mins which was nice, well it was for the first 5 mins, not sure whose heart rate was higher or who was puffing more after that :laugh: His rates were higher after that than the vet would have expected even for an upfit horse so he took bloods straight away (whilst I was still onboard :ohmy: ) to test for RER (Tying Up Syndrome), those should be back today.

If those come back clear then the plan is to push on and I have to start introducing some interval training to try and improve his anaerobic fitness and hope its now just a fitness issue as he feels all other avenues have been explored.

Nature's Giants was amazing, the lungs part was so informative. At least the poor horse has made some sort of contribution.

I've been to see a driving pony tonight, just a bit too small and hasn't driven for a few years. I'd would have coped with the size as she was a chunky litle thing but the non driving is just a bit too much of a risk. Not the prettiest pony ever but well cute and cuddly!

I have one to see tomorrow, a Norweigan Trotter, now what on earth is that? I'm going to Google it, could be interesting. This one comes with vehicle and harness if required and can be shown driven! Sadly the harness is a revolting shade of purple so I would not be interested in that! Watch this space!

They look really nice...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B8lehest

Well done Gooster that is a fab result, especially as you weren't able to warm up :biggrin:

Pony agility for Banner :D Good luck finding a new driving pony, I am off to google Norweigan trotter too :laugh:

I missed Natures Giants on purpose as Im quite sqeamish but wish I'd watched it now as would have been good to learn more especially about the lungs.

So sorry your friends have been mis-sold their horse, sadly there are far too many dishonest sellers :angry: Really hope they can get their money back and haven't been too put off finding the right horse :flowers:

Vet came out yesterday, it wasn't my usual vet but we have seen this guy before he is nice but very abrupt and no nonsense and I always end up feeling really foolish in his presense :rolleyes: Anyway he dismissed teeth and didn't look in his mouth, he gave a good argument why it wasn't so fair enough and if I am still not happy with his behaviour in a month or so I will just get the dentist out.

He felt the mouthing / frothing was normal and a good thing, I think we agreed to disagree there as it is unusual for him and I don't think its a good thing and nor will a dressage judge :laugh: But for now I will view it as a schooling problem and hope it settles down.

I have thought about borrowing a hackamore K9Fan but have never seen one used let alone used one, so find the thought of fitting and riding in it daunting but might research that some more as it would make sense to see if he was less active in his mouth using it :flowers:

The upshot was that he does have a higher resting heart and respiratory rate but not as bad as before and better than it was over the weekend. I had to canter around for 10 mins which was nice, well it was for the first 5 mins, not sure whose heart rate was higher or who was puffing more after that :laugh: His rates were higher after that than the vet would have expected even for an upfit horse so he took bloods straight away (whilst I was still onboard :ohmy: ) to test for RER (Tying Up Syndrome), those should be back today.

If those come back clear then the plan is to push on and I have to start introducing some interval training to try and improve his anaerobic fitness and hope its now just a fitness issue as he feels all other avenues have been explored.

Just thinking ... you dont think he has been eating Acorns do you.....? that can make than drool and salivate a lot...and its a huge crop this year....

Well I've just bought the Norwegian Trotter! Oh my life, can that pony motor, he's only 13.1hh and flat out can do 30mph and he paces!!!!! I also bought his trap and harness so we are up and running straight off. These trotters are rock hard and thrive on work, he won't have any problems with our hills that's for sure! I not be driving like a maniac though, we will be a tad more sedate!

Picking him up tomorrow, photographs to follow. Ooooo, I'm so excited!

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: