UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

How is Milo's canter on the lunge on the left rein? If it's ok, it could be his saddle possibly.

With regards to him shouting if he is out first, Blue does that. He also doesn't like being last to be brought in. Thankfully my yard know this, and take this into account when turning out and bringing in. I remember on my last farm after a schooling session where he tried to kill me, I put him out in the field for the day on his own. He went

absolutely mental as there were no other horses out when I turned him out.

Fingers crossed he is feeling better soon :flowers:

Spent yesterday at HOYS, have to say I was a bit disappointed with the shopping. I wanted to buy a new bucket, but there were no stalls selling them. All the stalls seemed to sell a lot of the same stuff, and it was all quite expensive. Watched quite a few jumping classes in the main arena, which were really good. The sky cup at the end though was a really nasty course, only 5 clear rounds!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on bringing on a youngster?

A friend of mine and her daughter have taken on a nice little 4 year old Sec D They are new to horses and are being guided by the YO who teaches 'natural horsemanship'. He's pretty green and unfit. When my friends daughter rode him on Saturday she was working him in trot for quite some time (maybe 40 mins)when he started bucking and cow kicking when being put under pressure. He also tried to scrape his rider off against the walls of the school. Soon after this he also started sweating. He'd been worked the previous day for maybe 2 hours in the school, mainly in trot - lots of being ridden at a wall and 1/4 turns away from the wall apparently... My gut feeling was he was tired - he'd had 'two days off' in the week, he gets a token feed of chaff and carrots.

His owners don't seem to have any plan for getting him fit - they just spend as much time as they feel they can with him. The bucking was diagnosed as 'being lazy' and he was punished (hit with a 'string') and pushed on again.

Am I being soft?

Milo seems a bit better today. I noticed yesterday that his neck muscles up behind his ears were very tense/tight on one side which is what caused him problems back in May. Ive been massaging the area and doing loads of carrot stretches with him and this morning he seems much looser in the area. I took him for a hack yesterday and had a very short canter which felt fine, lunged him this morning and again canter ok on both reins. I got a new prolite pad from the tack shop yesterday so hopefully that will help rule out any saddle pain if there is any. I had both saddles checked and altered only last month so I doubt its that but just incase! So hopefully ive got all avenues covered. He's definately starting to chill a bit more now so im hoping he should get better in the next week or so. Will continue to lunge and hack and just do walk/trot in the school until im convinced he's loosened up a bit more. If hes still bad after that i'll be getting the chiro out!

Ive just ordered a pair of clippers so Milo's identical skewbald brother will be coming to stay soon :laugh:

K9Fran - I literally have no experience in bring on youngsters but I would say that working an unfit youngster for 2 hours is a bit stupid!! It definately sounds like he's protesting, I dont blame him!! Section D's are known for being quite fiery anyway but I wouldve thought keeping things short and sweet would be better?

Why do horses get sick once it gets dark ... 4 hours in a stable with a poorly colicy horse and thankfully we're looking like we're on the right road, fingers firmly crossed!

:GroupHug: hope he/shes ok, know how you feel having been there twice with Fern recently. Colic terrifies me!!

Sorry but will be blunt over youngster, why did they get him if they want to work the hell out of him, why not get something older that can cope with work. I cant understand people getting youngsters not knowing what they're doing then ruining them :( and he wasnt being lazy, poor bugger hes probably stressed with what they're doing to him :( I have years of experience with horses but wouldnt consider a youngster purely because i dont have experience of working them, so to me its a bad combination and its the horse i feel for. They've got to understand schooling is hard work for horses especially a baby like him, get someone to get them moving a a trot for a few hours and see how they feel.....rant over :rolleyes:

Glad milo is feeling a bit better! Looking forwards to seeing pictures of his skewbald brother :wink:

I seem to remember being told once that one member of the partnership must know more than the other. If you have a novice rider, they need an older experienced horse, and vice versa. I think that is so true, and would definitely apply to those buying youngsters to bring them on.

Hope colic horse is feeling better soon :flowers:

Just clipped Blue. For some reason my clippers struggled with his bum fluff, so his bum is quite patchy. Everywhere else looks ok though and he didn't try and kill me, he just stood demolising a haynet :wub: He's now out in the field for a few hours whilst I walk the dogs.

Aww Blue :) Im getting my clippers tomorrow and will be attempting clipping for the first time at the weekend - got any tips for me?!

Milo much better today! His neck muscles have relaxed and he seems to be much more settled. We're getting there! I did a schooling session with him this morning and really let him warm up slowly and didnt push him for any lateral movements or anything. His canter was much better, he was round and soft all the time, his left canter still feels stiff but there was no going disunited in between transitions. I will give him a few more days and may well give the chiro a ring anyway - he's been so tense he will undoubtably need seeing to at some point! Farrier is due too...eurgh...horses...

Hows Loki, Bumble and Wanda/Banner etc getting on?

Give him a haynet to keep him occupied, with sugar cubes to pacify him whilst the clipper blades cool.

Are you going for a full clip? I leave legs and head on, start on one side and do tickly bits a bit at a time (so do a bit on his neck, then a bit on his belly). I don't go near his little boys bits either.

If you don't get him all done in one go, it's no big deal. Also chuck him in the field once he's done to let him relax for a few hours. Don't try riding straight after, as they usually feel quite fresh (Blue binned me last time I rode him the day I clipped him, so I don't tend to bother now!!)

Clipping tip...make sure each side is matching :laugh: my friend clipped her horse a few years back, did a fantastic job until we looked from behind the horse . One side was a good 2 inches higher than other side :laugh:

Bumble is doing well..touch wood :rolleyes: Have noticed though hes stiff in the muscle on right rear leg, its the muscle that goes from bum down to leg. I give him a massage after his breakfast and hes fine :rolleyes: think hes a bit like me when i wake up i have a job getting around till my muscles wake up :laugh: Hes not lame just stiff in that leg but massage it first and hes fine.

Was also wondering on how Loki, Wanda and new boy Donnie are doing :flowers:

Clipping tip...make sure each side is matching :laugh:

That tip is soooo overated in my book :D :laugh:

Though Gooster the lipstick tip is great :thumbsup_still: Loki being grey have never found anything that would work, though guess he would have red lines for a while :laughingsmiley:

I've been away for a bit so just catching up.

Glad everyone appears to be doing well, and Milo is starting to settle :flowers:

When I first started Loki in the school as a 5yr old I would never do anymore than about 20 mins, anything over 30 mins for a baby is out of order in my books, and to be honest I would never school for more than a hour now and that would include warming up and cooling down, I think maybe your friends could do with a good book on starting a young horse :flowers:

I'm having a bit of an odd time, not sure why but at the momement everything seems too much stress, money and hassle and I would quite like to give up on horses :huh: Loki is being a complete arse to ride, so spooky he nearly got me off hacking last night, as it is he has jinked enough for my back to go so will need a visit to chiro, the YM is going through one of her bully phases adding hundreds of new rules and generally no one can breath without getting moaned at, so dread going up the yard and finding her there. NFU still haven't said they are going settle the claim, Loki has a inconsistant cough along with all his other issues now, none of which I can get him to do when the vet visits. It really is no fun :mecry:

Its probably just post holiday blues and I will snap out of it in a day or two, I have dressage clinic on Saturday which I was really looking forward to but finding it hard to find any enthusiasm at the moment, and it means I need to go and clip now as back to work tomorrow and wasn't feeling well this morning so have accomplished nothing today so far.

Sorry that was all very woe is me but just needed to vent it :blush02:

Have to say I 100% agree with Clare... 30 mins for a horse that age is enough...two hours of ridden work is far too much and they will end up with a curb or a splint if they are not careful if they dont already have them starting... makes me so cross....his back and legs are probably killing him...maybe they should try a 2hr Boot Camp themselves for a bit of perspective....

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: Clare. We all go though stages when we want to give up.

After Blue binned me last year, he was on his last chance before I sold him and moved back to competing more with the dogs. Thankfully the yard move paid off and we are happier than ever.

How much turnout is Loki getting? Also are you feeding hay or haylage. Just remembering back, Blue was an absolute arse when fed haylage and limited turnout. Could be worth soaking hay instead to try and reduce the fizz if he is on haylage.

If your YM is making your life miserable, Loki may be picking up on your stresses and thinking there must be something to be tense/spook at. Just because now I am more relaxed, blue is a lot better when I ride him.