UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Found out tonight that my summer of laziness is coming to an end :( I was chatting to a couple of liveries tonight about how nice it is to not have to muck out, when they said that they are coming in this weekend!!!!! They will still be out on summer fields during the day, but coming in at night! There was a meeting about it about 6 weeks ago, I was at work and the minutes they gave me said they were coming in on 1st November! Cue frantic stable tidying and putting a bed order in!!

My horse is an absolute idiot!

Yesterday he went all strange and didn't want his dinner and I discovered today he's been stuffing his face with acorns!! He's much better today and moved him into a new field so he wouldn't eat any more.

Then this afternoon for the first time ever he came in without a shoe!! I rang my farrier who is kindly coming out tonight to put it back on.

It's stressful enough moving yards let alone with acorns and missing shoes the day before!!!

Welcome back to mucking out and early mornings Gooster :D

Hope the move goes well CP :flowers: Horses always seem to know when to "help" in a difficult situation :laugh:

I have heard Loki cough twice in the last two days, I have no idea where that leaves us :wacko: My vet hasn't called me back so think I will just take it easy with him and see what happens over the weekend, sometimes I really wish I had taken up knitting and not horses or just that I had bought a straight forward horse :rolleyes:

Awwww Milo!!! Am sure the move will go fine tomorrow CP :flowers:

Hope that taking it easy with Loki and building up his work gradually helps :flowers:

Have discovered how much more of a little gem my pony is tonight. About 10 minutes into our lesson, some wazzock starts letting off massive loud fireworks on the estate below the hills our farm is on. Blue didn't bat an eyelid :wub: We spent most of tonight working on suppling him up even more and helping his bending. By the end he was working really nicely, and did a fab 15m canter circle on the left rein :wub: To bring me slightly down to earth, he did have a small spook at a pile of tyres we were using to get us to go more into the corners, but ho hum, he can't be 100% perfect all the time :laugh:

Crikey CP, acorns are dangerous to horses if eaten in large amounts. I'd keep a close eye on him for a few days! :ohmy:

We had an interesting moment with Donny the trotter today, YO Sam was driving as she will be taking him out when I'm at work and she needs to know how he works. She is not that experienced with driving and when we came across a muck spreader in a field against the road my town bred pony nearly pooed his pants, he's never seen pony eating monsters before! He was about to try and turn round so I said just rattle him on Sam, he was a tad sticky but she got him in going and he went into pace and flew past, he must have been doing 25mph! He came back to trot really nicely when asked and was a star the rest of the way round, what a good pony!

YO Sam had a clip fest today, she's done four and a Banner! Wanda has gone for the all her kit off look, Kim has all off apart from her legs, Obe and Donny have chasers and Banner looks as though her middle was run over by a lawn mower! I know it seems daft to clip a shet who does nothing but she gets really hot so has to be done. She does look more than a bit odd though! :laugh:

Aww banner :wub: I love it when they get clipped, its so nice for them and much less work for us!

Milo's move went brilliantly. We hacked there and arrived at about 8am. There were two people on the yard who were very friendly and chatted to me whilst we waited for the YO owner to arrive to tell me what to do next! Whilst I was waiting I made up Milo's bed and chatted to some more liveries. The YO arrived and we took Milo down to his new field, he's gone on his own next door to the group he will be with eventually. He was so excited walking down, he was like a stallion prancing about! As soon as I let him off his leadrope he.....stuck his head down and ate :laugh:. I left him to it and spent the rest of the day moving his stuff in and getting keys and labels done (they have everyones place for saddles/bridles/rugs/feed/tack box etc all marked). I went down about 4 and sorted his stable out and got him in from the field, he was really hot so showered him down in the 'horse wash area' (ooh) before drying him off and putting him to bed.

Everyone I met was SO friendly and helpful, they kept chatting to me all day to make sure I was OK. I am so pleased with my move, Milo thinks he's won a trip to the ritz I think :laugh:

Anyway, the most important bit - photos!!

On the way:

317295_300529749964545_100000225673193_1457688_370576128_n.jpg

Milo in his new stable, complete with name tag!!:

307361_300529643297889_100000225673193_1457687_1182852659_n.jpg

Milo in his new field with lots of lovely grass:

291998_301027693248084_100000225673193_1460120_785684020_n.jpg

296121_301027689914751_100000225673193_1460119_1252146251_n.jpg

307615_301027686581418_100000225673193_1460118_1043174928_n.jpg

Sounds lovely!! Can't believe how much grass is in his field! Blue's field is getting really low on grass now (which is probably why they are coming in tonight).

Looks like he has settled nicely :wub: :wub:

Have dug out the cribox paint this morning so I can give the new wood in his stable a coat of it. Little monkey likes to shred wood in his stable for fun (I think it is attention seeking, as he will be as quiet as a mouse, but when I get there he starts scraping his teeth against the door unless i go in his stable immediately)

Donny :wub:

Milo new place looks lovely as does he :wub:

Hows Loki doing now.

Got to stables last night to find a grey barrell with 4 legs :rolleyes: yep Fern had gone under my fencing and Debbies fencing :ohmy: and had guzzled loads of grass.She had a job to move so left them out this time remembering to put fence unit on :rolleyes: Luckily no collic but Annie was furious they didnt come in last night, thought she'd settle and got there this morning to find her covered in dried sweat. Apparently she spent ages calling and charging about after i left last night.Bloody horses!!

Norty Fern :wub: :wub:

Blue is all tucked up in bed. All the horses knew something was going on as they were all by the gate (apart from

blue, who was in the furthest field :rolleyes: ).

Had to shut the chickens away in their coop last night. When I got in my car to leave it was just going dark and there was a fox running through the horses field. As the YO was out, I thought I should shut the chickens in before the fox got them. They were all there today, so looks like I did the right thing!

Oh norty Fern :wub:

Glad the move went well CP, Milo looks happy in his new pad :biggrin:

Well done Gooster sounds like you are owed some thank you eggs :flowers:

What no pictures of Banner's new haircut :ohmy:

Loki seems to be doing ok, definately full of energy and schooled beautifully yesterday :wub: hoping once this hot weather goes his breathing and sweating will settle down.

I have booked in with my dressage trainer for weekend after next so that is bound to make Loki find a way to break before then :laugh:

Glad Loki is feeling better.

Had forgotten how long it takes me to muck out a shavings bed, his poo seems to hit the bed and explode into tiny pieces :rolleyes: It took me forever last night!!

Sorted out my insurance. Stayed with NFU, but took loss of use off, as we only do hacking and low level dressage, the chances of us getting a payout are quite slim (even Mr NFU admitted that!). Also got my trailer insured now, all for less than am paying at the moment. :)

Oh that reminds me I need to chase them again as still not heard anything :rolleyes: Think my subconscious had buried it :laugh:

Vet called yesterday to say bloods were all fine, got a copy today and see that there is a comment saying the sample was too degraded to get breakdown on white blood cells, so not great really and slightly miffed at vet for not mentioning it, but his total WBC was ok so hope that means the rest is too :rolleyes:

Had a lovely ride last night, since he has been off the YM has decided we can ride in one of the fields, so last night took advantage of that and had a lovely canter round and gave me chance to start the interval training as instructed by vet, think he was a bit ambitious with 10 mins so we started with 2 x 2 mins with 2 mins break in between. We were both puffing after that :laugh:

Milo still isn't settled and I'm sure there's something wrong with him :( he's still very jumpy about everything and if he's the first one out in the morning he stands at the fence and screams until the others come out.

On Monday we went for a hack with the YO and he was excited but behaved himself, Tuesday we did some flatwork which was a bit of a disaster. They're building a horsewalker and hay barn at the moment next to the school so there was a lot going on, plus lots of jumps left in the school. Walk and trot were ok but when I asked for canter he took off so decided to stop there! Wednesday I lunged him and he was fine with that. Yesterday we went back in the school as I wanted to get a decent canter out of him. On the right rein he is completely normal, left rein is horrendous. He refused to soften or bend, sets his neck and just goes. He feels completely unbalanced and keeps going disunited before coming back to trot. Tonight he was the same so I asked the yo to come and watch him as I am starting to worry. She said on the right he looks relaxed but on the left it looks like he is carrying a lot of tension and shuffling his back end along rather than picking up and coming through. She said he's definitely not lame but I'm wondering if he's put his back or.neck out. It's certainly not right.

My plan is to leave schooling for a few days and go for a hack and do some lungeing and lots of carrot stretches and then try again next week. If he's still not right I will have to get him checked.

I don't know whether its just the fact that he hasn't settled well and is carrying tension and is unbalanced and excited because the jumps are up or whether he's actually hurt himself. If only they could talk :(