UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March' Mad Mumblings

merledogs

thats terrible, hope you sort it owl

a great start to the day, the stairlift broke at the top at 6am, not good trying to back down the stairs on a bend.

it would have been my mothers birthday today. and the council are supposed to be ringing about what properties I can take so I hope shes sending down some good birthday vibes

• Like 1

Woke up to a white world this morning. More snow! It's the farm beasties I feel sorry for as many sheep are buried in snow drifts and lambs are dying almost as soon as they are born. Some of the working collies are doing sterling work in finding the sheep for the farmers to dig out. I'll bet there are more lambs wearing little plastic coats this year than ever before.

Is Lesley about? How is the weather at Trawllm?

Have been catching up and saw that murtle's FIL has gone, poor man. Thinking of you and your family.

The rash came back worse so I took a Piriton and overslept! But it now seems to have cleared. Glands are no worse, maybe a tad better.

• Like 1

Those of you that have collies or other double coated long haired dogs I need some grooming advice - never had a dog that needed it before lol Sal needs doing, shes got a long mane thats now going all curly and all her feathers are getting very long and looking all ratty especially around her back legs, her coats in lovely condition with no mats or tangles - yet- but its only a matter of time and we're having to give her a good brushing a couple of times a day. Her undercoat is coming out in handfuls ready for summer and shes shedding so much hair its like she leaves an outline of herself whenever she gets up lol what kind of clip do I ask for? Or indeed do collies even get clipped? Do the feathers get trimmed or should we leave those alone? I'm going to take her to the grooming parlour at the kennels which has everything and comes recommended but not too sure what to say when they ask me how I want her done lol

I'm in Ceredigion not a million miles from Carmarthenshire.... we had a little flurry of snow this morning (well, it looked like a cloud of midges but a friend assured me it was snow) but nothing to settle and we have not actually had any "real" snow for weeks.

I don't know if collies are technically supposed to be clipped but my friend used to get his one done.... samson had huge amounts of fur and if he hadn't had his feathers clipped i would hate to imagine what sort of state he would end up in, doesn't lil angel do grooming?? perhaps PM her and ask her opinion?

Owl, glad to hear your glands seem a little better

Yantan, i saw farmers on the news yesterday pulling sheep out of deep snow and i really did feel for the sheep... and the poor lambs, poor little s*ds must wonder what on earth has happened. our snow is now virtually all gone but i have just had my mum on the phone who was just off buying an ice cream.... jealous? me?

Thank you Griff, Jayne, Owl and Marian your thoughts are very much appreciated. Although he was poorly it was only recently they were looking to move him to a residential home so it has still managed to come as a shock. xxx

The poor sheep and lambs, I hope they manage to rescue lots more. The thought of them suffocating in snow drifts is awful :-(

Ooo sunny weather!

Collies don't have a special cut. I would ask them to tidy her up and point out any bits that you would particularly dealt with.

Murphy is a retriever/collie cross and has a coat that is retriever like in some parts and collie like in others.

I trim the hair that sticks up between his toes ( retriever trait) and trim the hair that grows up the back if his legs from ankle to knee.

I tidy up the feathering on his front legs.

I tidy up the feathering on his back legs as some parts are medium in length and some are long and straggly and tangle. I trim them to the same length with thinning scissors to remove some of the bulk.

I also thin out the fuzzy hair ( maybe a retriever trait rather than a collie one) that grows behind his ears and the hair down his chest .

So , basically, he looks neater all over and attracts less grime and wet. He still collects bits of vegetation though.

In summer( if we get one) I trim his belly area to the skin as he suffers in the heat and that helps to cool him. I leave the long hair at the sides so that you only see he has a bare belly when he rolls over.

Sorry about your FIL, Murtle.

It is always upsetting when it comes but he is at peace now.

I too saw the sheep being pulled out of the snow. I can remember hearing about that when I was a child. And how good the dogs were at finding the buried sheep. But I have not heard of it in recent years.

Some of the sheep looked really bad- one was moved to a warm barn on a sledge.

I have just heard on the tv that it looks as if the cold will last until mid April at least. The farmers are really suffering, either with their animals or the ground being too cold for the arable crops.

One farmer reckons he has lost his whole flock of 750 sheep. That must be so upsetting,never mind he has lost his livelyhood.

Sorry to hear about your Father in Law Murtle.

Hope you are soon better Owl.

I hate any animal being in distress :( Apologies if I have missed anyone, just skim read as have been away with work & ongoing problems with my Dad so my head feels a bit mushy!