UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jawtastic Jottings

Yantan

Just had a message from mum about Ted, she has taken him to the vet and he needs blood tests and his poo analysing. So she has asked me to pay half the excess on his insurance.

I might have let rip a bit. I told her that I recall the vet telling her not to feed him fish any more and that his health is more important than the feelings of the pet shop owner. I also told her that I was really upset about how dad spoke to me with his dash cam and that he was rude and ungrateful. Am pretty stressed at the moment - my accountant did my tax return last night. I usually have to pay £2500 in January and July. This year she calculated I have to pay £7000 in January and £4000 in July :mecry: I was not expecting the bill to be so huge as I haven't worked that many more days in the 14/15 tax year to justify such a whopping increase in my tax bill :unsure:

Jeez Gooster, that is a huge increase....i wonder has there been a mistake made somewhere? hopefully that is the case, if it is the case that working the extra days is upping your bill so much then you might be better off not working the extra days. Hopefully your mum will understand why you let rip...wonder did they tell the vet they were still feeding fish...if not then it is likely he doesn't need the flippin blood test and faecal analysis

I know. I thought I might have to pay about £3500 this month. I nearly fell off the chair when she said it was over £7000. I struggled to get to sleep last night worrying about it. Apparently I have till 29th Feb to pay (even though it says on the form it needs to be paid by 31st Jan).So I should have the money to pay it all by then if I keep working my 6 day weeks. She said the only part that must be paid by then is £3000 which is something to do with a balance on my account. I have never had a balance on my account before, so I have no idea what any of this means. At all. It just makes no sense to me.

Mum has replied that dad was shocked that he had upset me with his comment and didn't mean it. They are going to take it back tomorrow and swap it for the same one, but if that doesn't work, they'll get a different make.

Oh, and she didn't mention anything about the fact they were still feeding Ted fish :rolleyes: She just glossed over that one....

Oh dear Jayne..not good about the tax. Could your accountant possibly have made a mistake? At this rate you'll have to cut back on holidays!

Can you phone the vet and ask whether the fish would account for the tum trouble, and if so, forget the tests? One less expense.

My son is getting a bit worried about one of his twins, the little boy. There are signs he may be autistic...I know he and his sister can't be expected to be replicas of each other in their behaviour, but he's not like his older brother was at his age either. Hopefully he isn't, but if he is, I hope things can be done to help him develop to the best of his ability.

Jayne so sorry you are having such a crappy time. Could you get your accountant to explain the figures? When I used to employ one I did so in order to avoid such nasty surprises. Should they not have seen this coming?

Suzeanna hope all will be well with your grandson.

Still connected via next door's internet connection. I've ordered the neighbour a big bag of Tetleys teabags, her favourite tipple, by way of a thank you. Not sure how long we will be using her internet, I may end up keeping her in tea for the rest of the year!

Jane, assuming you are referring to your 2014/15 tax return, it looks like your total tax due for the year is £8000. Your tax due for 2013/14 was £5000 and You have paid £2500 last January and £2500 in July for payments on account towards your final tax bill, so you have a balance due of £3000 to pay by 31 January as your total tax due os more than the payments on account.

You also have to pay your first payment on account for 2015/16 of half the amount of tax due for 2014/15 - hence a payment on account of £4000 for 31 January as well as the balancing payment.

Another payment of £4000 on account will be due in July.

I don't know why your accountant is telling you you only have to pay £3000 by 29 February.

Any tax unpaid by the due date will incur an interest charge- i think it is 3%.

If the 31 st January payment is not paid by 29 February you will have an additional surcharge of 5% added.

If your estimated tax due for 2015/16 is less than £8000 you can reduce your payments on account to be equal to two equal payments of half the estimated amount.

But if you reduce it and then your final tax bill shows you should have paid more you can be charged a penalty.

Guess who used to work for HMRC!

• Like 2

Welcome back Marion are they going to send you a new router? I've been googling cysts and going ooOOOOhhhh that explains..... omg thats why thats been happening ... blinking heck I'd noticed that but didn't think anything of it .... Just little things like feeling full from smaller meals (this btw is probably a good side effect LOL) Rob noticed before I did that I've been leaving at least half my meals for Baddie for weeks, or asking Rob if he wanted to finish it, he particularly noticed that I have been passing him my barely touched desserts :ohmy: now that I am paying attention to it I really am not eating anything like my usual sized meal last night for example for our main meal Rob had chicken enchiladas whereas I opted for a pot noodle as I wasn't all that hungry (again this is probably a bloody good thing lol) so who knows if they do decide to take it out maybe I'll lose some weight :biggrin: I've also been utterly gobsmacked at how "large" is "LARGE" I expected it to be something about an inch or so in size but flipping heck looking at pictures and reading about other peoples experiences they can grow to the size of a full term baby! Hopefully mine is nowhere near that size - pea sized will be fine thanks lol theres also some other minor physical things which I've felt and mentioned in passing to Rob and dismissed as just random weird menopause effects that in fact are more likely to be down to the cyst. I'm hoping the gp will be able to tell me a lot more next week.

Moaning :tired:

Jayne - I hope you get to the bottom of it and also Ted's tum :flowers:

blackmagic - why can't everyone who works for HMRC make things that simple?! :flowers:

suzeanna - I hope that he isn't autistic but if he is, that he gets the help he needs to help him develop to his full potential :flowers:

snow - glad that they got to the bottom of it and hopefully this will resolve the pain :flowers:

Thank you Black Magic - that makes more sense now. She just kept saying that I had the extra £3k as a payment on account and that was why it was more, but didn't actually explain what that was. She has just started seeing a new bloke and was going on and on about him all evening (she's a woman I know from the gym and has just turned 50). Then she just printed off the tax bill and handed it to me. I was shocked at how much more it was than the previous year. I even dug out my last tax return to compare the numbers. I *should* be fine to pay the vast majority (if not all) of it before 29th Feb. Am working 6 day weeks for the foreseeable future, so as long as I get paid promptly by everyone, that money (and more) should be in my account by then :unsure:

And I have already cut down on my holidays this year - I usually go in January, but that isn't happening this year :wink:

Glad you have had it explained to you now Gooster and hope it all gets paid so you don't get a fine, i had awful trouble with HRMC, my dad kept ending up with a bill for tax at least £800 a year despite his earnings being taxed, one laughed at me when i said that the tax owed him £1500 and then thankfully the next lady i spoke to soted everything out...he was apparently being allowed his personal earnings allowance twice (something like that), she sorted that and when i mentioned the money owed she looked and could see he had been owed the money for 6 years and got a cheque issued immediately

Snow, hopefully you will be like a new woman after the op

Yantan, lol...hope you get everything sorted out but great your neighbour is lending you the internet

Hi ya Merledogs.... how goes the new sofa??

griff - new sofa is fine. Bit firm but I suspect will soften with time. Other than that it's fab (and huge). Only problem is it's aniline leather, which isn't coated with any protective layer so just soaks up any spills (including water). I've bought some leather protection cream which is supposed to provide protection so will see how I get on with that. In the meantime it's covered with throws so doesn't get ruined by wet dogs :rolleyes:

I spent many years explaining self assessment to people.

When income changes from one year to the next it really affects self employed people. Firstly ,you are assessed on your income for the previous year.

However, most people pay their tax from their income in the current year.

Not so bad if your income stays the same or increases. But when your income is less in the current year there is not enough money to pay the previous year's higher tax.

We always recommended that people put 25% of their income away in a separate bank account each week/ month to cover tax and NIC. That way they would have the money , or a good part of it , for their tax bill when it comes. If the tax due is less then they have saved then they have a bonus.

Also, getting your accounts done as soon as possible after 5 April allows the payments on account to be confirmed or reduced if necessary and you know well in advance how much you have to pay the following January. You do not have to pay your tax any earlier if you submit your return early.

It's good you have got an answer to your problems , Snow.

My cousin had an ovarian cyst and when it was removed she had lost half a stone in weight.

Suzeanna, I hope you have a similar good outcome from your xray.

I have had a busy afternoon. I have made a lamb tagine for our dinner, a vistoria sponge for tonight's film club and a pot of butternut squash soup.

Now I am relaxing 'surfing the net'. It is wet, dark and cold outside.