UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Dingly Danglys

merledogs

Archie was fine. He and I enjoyed a nice walk on a cracking Sunday morning - blue skies, sun was out, breathe condensed in the air and no blooming rain - hurrah!

Started watching Mr Robot on Amazon Prime tonight. Only 2 epi's in but we are loving it. Hope it keeps it up and doesn't become a damp squib.

Alex I'm glad you were free from the flooding.

Totally worth it Griff. There's loads of free stuff to watch incl. a number of excellent series made for Prime you won't see anywhere else. On top of that you get the one day delivery of goods. We hemmed & hawed over it for ages before taking a membership out - 2 of us covered by one - and haven't regretted it once.

Glad Dex has made some improvement. Sorry I meant to ask earlier but got side tracked.

It is a awful lot of money and would wipe out my Christmas cash lol. Have got a fire tab and a fire stick so will consider it

Dex has probletgoing to the loo, when he got his pelvis fractured he got a narrowing in it and so has problems sometimes, I have to give him lactulose one day, liquid parrafin the next and if he is in real bother some strong stuff off the vet....sometimes he gets that bad he needs an enema

It was sunny and dry here yesterday morning as well Marion, but soon turned to rain. I've never seen the water so high here. The field in my signature pic was half under water. This is the same field where Peel Holdings wanted to built 600 houses even though know the water table is very high there and the drainage is very poor. Never seen it this bad though. I wanted to walk up the lane to the bullock field to see how they are doing, but the lane was flooded as well so couldn't get through without getting myself drenched. At least their field is on a slope so they can go to the higher part, so hopefully they'll be okay. More flooding overnight in Lancashire and it's still raining.

I think the flooding is something that's going to become a regular feature from now on. There was all this talk of global warming for years and yet so many of us thought it must just be talk because there was nothing happening much to back it up. Now look at us.

Alex in the late 80's there were plans here to build on an empty site in town. My grandad, born and brought up here and a master builder with over 60 years experience, kept on at the authorities that if planning was granted they would be making a huge and expensive mistake. I clearly remember him saying "it's part of the flood plain, there is a reason that generation after generation haven't built on there, the site will flood". Well greed (developers) won the day and built homes on there they did (I sound like Yoda!) Of course the site has been flooded a number of times now - and not just in the last couple of mega-floods. It's also caused back-up in other parts of town that might otherwise have been OK. If they try to build on your field again fight it and remind them of the flooding.

Marion - the application for planning permission was turned down by the Council by 9 against and 1 abstention (not a single vote in favour). Peel Holdings appealed to Eric Pickles lot, so a public inquiry was held, at no doubt great expense. The fields they want to build on are in Worsley, an affluent area, and a campaign group was started by local residents (some of the houses which back onto the proposed development are worth over a million quid, which buys you a lot of house in Salford). The campaign group was represented by a barrister so Peel got a good run for their money and the appeal was turned down as well. They have no recourse now apart from an appeal on a procedural matter, which they have lodged but there were a variety of reasons it was turned down so hopefully that will come to nothing as well. I am going to go up there and take photos so that if they ever submit an amended application the evidence is there.

It's dry here today but more rain forecast for Wednesday.

Edited by merledogs
  • Like 1

Hope poorly animals continue to improve, and no one gets flooded!

Yantan...they were saying oh, highest levels since records began in 1905, but apparently there are high water marks from the 1800's which are higher. It doesn't seem to occur to anyone that bringing more and more people into the country, which means more and more house building, more roads, more car parking etc is removing the ability of the land to drain the water...added to the fact most councils cry poverty as a reason not to dredge the rivers, whilst they pay their execs loads of money. It makes me mad! (you may have gathered!)

We went down to Sussex yesterday to visit my son and family...boy, am I glad I never had twins, poor Mark and Julie never stop! I hardly saw my OH after we arrived as our eldest grandson commandeered him to play Skylanders on the WiiU with him, then wrestling, then football...poor bloke's a wreck today.

Haha, your poor OH Suzeanna, my mate had twins...at one point she had 3kids under 18months...she now has 7kids

Fully agree about the building causing the flooding, our hospital was built about 10years ago on a flood plain

Merledogs, good idea about the photos

Yantan, money talks doesn't it.....never mind the fact that people will be suffering for years and years