UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September's Stonking Stirrings

merledogs

Griff, what are you using to strip your staircase? Our banister needs taking back to wood, but we've got fitted stair carpet and I'm worried about wrecking it. Do you use a paint on thing that takes off paint, or a power buffer thingy?

Scuttled up to sort out the cats and forgot the shoes I put on leak...soggy feet on a cold day are not good! Haven't taken Rosie out yet, she will happily wander around the garden in the rain, but try to put her lead on and take her out, and she won't budge, little horror.

Hahaha Suzeanna...you name it, i have used it!!! i used the paint stripper stuff from screwfix and it is useless, i have used a hot air gun and scraper and the most successful is a sander, i can only do a tiny bit at a time so i am on about month number 3 or 4 now and have nearly done the landing...then i have all the spindles down the stairs to do. Saying about the paint stripper i should point out that our banisters and spindles had around 4 or 5 coats of paint on them

We had mist this morning but now the sun is shining brightly and it ia lovely autumn day.

I Have been tidying up the garden while we have a dry, sunny spell.

Have planted up pots of bulbs for the spring.

I am not usually so organised and it feels strange!

My tomatoes have struggled this year as it has been so cold, particularly at night. July was cold and wet but August was dry and sunny. I had lots of flowers but too late to ripen. I picked half the green ones and have them on the window sill to ripen.

Those that have ripened are very sweet.

The other half are still on the foliage stripped plants in the greenhouse in the hope they will ripen. Some are showing the start of colour.

I don't do such things myself..but I understand you can make chutney from green tomatoes. Griff, I've looked at the Screwfix stuff..no nonsense or something along those lines...is it no good? I think there's only a couple of layers of paint and I only want to strip the banister itself, not the spindles.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: Sam. Look after yourself.

:wub: Alex.

Happy birthday Morse :)

Had a rather expensive day today. My washing machine was on it's way out (it kept tripping my fuse box), so I went to the clearance place in Manchester and bought a new Samsung ecobubble washer - reduced from £360 to £250 :biggrin: I also nipped into halfords to see about getting some road tyres for my cycle to Blackpool in a couple of weeks. Turns out my wheels on my mountain bike are too big. I spied a really nice neat road bike in the clearance bit though, reduced from £450 to £150. So I brought it home with me. I just can't figure out the gearing on it though, so I'll be calling my uncles up to ask how they work :laugh:

What clearance place in manchester is that, I might need a new (ish) cooker if I can repair mine?

Aww for Morse

I don't do such things myself..but I understand you can make chutney from green tomatoes. Griff, I've looked at the Screwfix stuff..no nonsense or something along those lines...is it no good? I think there's only a couple of layers of paint and I only want to strip the banister itself, not the spindles.

My dad used to make green tomato chutney every year but we are not chutney fans.

If the bannister sits on top of a spar for the spidles to fit in ( don't know if I have expplained that well) You may be able to remove it and strip it outside or in a garage. That would avoid any chance of damage to your carpet.

Paint stripper makes a big mess of gooey stuff.

Sanding it down would be cleaner but does make a lot of dust.

It's the electrical clearance place at Ancoats. It's brilliant. The stuff has minor damage to it or has been used and sent back, but all my electrical stuff is from there. My latest purchase has a small dent on the back, so it can't be sold full price. You basically show up, haggle and take the stuff away with you. I got a Hotpoint fridge freezer for less than half price (it has a small dent on one side). My dishwasher and tumble drier also came from there and I'm not sure what is wrong with them. You also get the manufacturers warranty with it. It's well worth the trip. It's at the old PC world site in quite a quirky looking building.

We can't take our banister to bits but found the sander the best for the banisters, had those done in an hour....the spindles OMG soooooo awkward, had a builder mates opinion and if we take the banister and spindles out we would end up replacing the lot....which is not what i want

Gooster that place sounds brilliant

I think the black and decker languishing in the outhouse has an attachment for a sander..who knows, there may even be a sander there somewhere. I'll have to have a look. Very carefully...OH isn't the tidiest when it comes to putting things away, there's likely to be an avalanche!