UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts Askin N Answers

Jazz

I expect so. It has a number but it can have a name too. If you click on the garden picture to enlarge, you can see a gate on the left at the end beyond the greenhouse. That goes straight into Dyscarr Wood nature reserve which is a SSSI belonging to Notts Wildlife Trust, jam packed with birds.

Not sure if fireplace is art deco or art nouveau. Love it anyway. Not sure what I will do about kitchen but won't make any major decisions until I have lived there for a few months. Will be searching for sideboard and dresser rather than modern fitted kitchen. The local car boot sale is huge with a lot of vintage furniture.

Bathroom is OK with corner bath. It just needs an electric shower.

Do you know what owl, that kitchen isn't too bad...looks good and solid,are they tiles under the cabinet?? If they are you could tile over the tiles to make it more you, there aren't acres of worktop so i bet you could find something in the odds bin at a diy place and a different set of handles could change it no end. The wallpaper situation, well you can always paint it out and then go through the house one room at a time as and when you feel like it and the carpets...well rugs hide a multitude of sins (my living room is a prime example lol). Lovely just to nip out the gate and head off on a walk

hope you will be very happy there

Edited by griff

they all had a wander behind the shed last night, with all turned over earth, so brought it in, on the sofa, everywhere, before I saw it. ive been out there this morning blocking it off with garden chairs and ornaments. just before a massive downpour

mornin

Ooooooh that first fireplace in the lounge is FABULOUS! Owl for a house with gardens that size you'd be paying £350,000 plus if it were here.

I see there is loads of room for us Fugees to visit and camp in the back garden!

It is chucking it down here, it started in the very early hours and has never stopped judging by the size of puddles and general soakedness (is that even a word?) of everything.

That house will be perfect for you Owl...just the thing for lovely walks with Wispa and already a good price even before you got it down a bit. Do you know what the neighbours are like? Don't forget when looking for stuff for the house to check out the local Freecycle, if there is one for the area. It's amazing what people get rid off, it's not all rubbish by any means. We had a two seater settee and recliner chair that had to go to let the new big leather settee in...they were a bit worn but still good and they went within about an hour of us putting them on! Two young ladies came with a van and were delighted with them, and when we had paving stones to get rid off and put them on there, we could have found homes for ten times the amount we had. I asked on there for a sewing machine and was offered one which was practically brand new.

Thanks everyone. Griff, the cabinets are solid so I may just replace their doors with soft close ones. I don't need cooker space as prefer hob and a round halogen oven. Need to go and take measurements at some point soon.

Property prices are variable in this area. Stone cottages are very expensive but old Coal Board houses like this are a lot cheaper and have long gardens behind. Also Langold has been unfashionable for a long time. You can get similar houses modernised and decorated with new bathroom & kitchen on same estate for around 110K. That is above my budget but anyway I prefer this one.

Met neighbour one side, very friendly with a touch of old hippie about him. He told me his wife does arts and crafts. Met neighbour's dog on other side, he stuck nose over wall and gave me an earful. So I will need to get some extra fencing or trellis to stop nose to nose confrontation between gobby cocker and gobby pointer.

Yes Suzeanna, I have done lots of freecycling in both directions. It's great.

That looks a great house, Owl. I do love that fireplace.

We have very warm and muggy weather here. No rain yet but it is forecast. I reckon it couldmbe thinder and lightining if it happens as it is so muggy. My garden and pots badly need watering. I did not do them last night as it was supposed to rain but I may have to do it today if no rain appears soon.

I don't want to wait until evening as the midgies will be about in clouds. They have not had a good year sofar. It has been too windy for them but I think they are making up for it now.

My son is home in Edinburgh, from Romania, for a month and is complaining that he can't get used to the cold!( 17 degrees) He has had to put up with over

30 degrees since Easter, poor thing.