UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Februarys Fine Findings

Jazz

nice sky man has just been, changed the wires right from the sky dish to the back of the box.

I followed him out the back to lock the gate and fell down the step. nice man ran back in and helped me indoors. knee and foot hurts now

so now you give us some of your news please xx

I'm trying to find out the name of my great-great grandfather on my paternal grandmother's side. I have his surname and know his wife and daughters' names but can't pin him down!

I knew my grandfather on my mother's side had had two wives- my grandmother being his second wife- but I could not find any details of his first wife's deth.

After searching for several weeks I was really beginning to wonder of he had been a bigamist :ohmy:

All the generations of the family had stayed locally in the east of the country. My grandfather met my grandmother locally and they lived locally after marrying.

Eventually, I did find the death record showing his first wife died of TB a few months after the birth of their daughter, who was brought up by an aunt. She had died over in the west of Scotland where I presume her parents lived.

I have gone back as far as I can with my mother's line- back handwritten notes in the parish registers.

I have started tracing my father's line but he came from a family where all the sons were called after the father, grandfather etc and the girls were named after the mother grandmother etc so multiple cousins had the same name going back the generations. iIt gets very confusing as there are several sons in each family.

I have an old photograpph supposedly of my great grand mother but the 'family tree' on the back doesn't tie in with the records i have found.

There is no date on the photograph to help me and no Christian name just' granny and surname'

Some of the names occur in the families but not all ( nine) of them in one. I wonder if they are maybe cousins rather than one family since the same names occur in more than one family as all the sons named their sons after the same people.

One name looks French which is another mystery. I wondered if maybe one son went to France in the first World War and married a French girl.

More questions than answers.

my nan tried to trace her family, she got a professional company onto it as she was dying she wanted the results before she passed away, sadly the parish records were destroyed where her family were in ireland so she got as far back as she could and then a dead end, several others have tried but get to the same point and thats that. My dads family tree got one years and years ago, they had a certificate stating they were related to robert burns..... my nan chucked it out when she moved!!! i don't have any interest in it at all, it must be frustrating to get to a point and not be able to go any further...especially if you want to find a relative

just been out with the dogs, crikey it's a bit nippy out there, was treacherous underfoot as the dirty s*ds here don't pick up their dog mess and there are no lights on the field and there was no moon, i think i managed to miss the piles but will have to look at my boots tomorrow...yuck!

my nan tried to trace her family, she got a professional company onto it as she was dying she wanted the results before she passed away, sadly the parish records were destroyed where her family were in ireland so she got as far back as she could and then a dead end, several others have tried but get to the same point and thats that. My dads family tree got one years and years ago, they had a certificate stating they were related to robert burns..... my nan chucked it out when she moved!!! i don't have any interest in it at all, it must be frustrating to get to a point and not be able to go any further...especially if you want to find a relative

just been out with the dogs, crikey it's a bit nippy out there, was treacherous underfoot as the dirty s*ds here don't pick up their dog mess and there are no lights on the field and there was no moon, i think i managed to miss the piles but will have to look at my boots tomorrow...yuck!

I like reading the various census entries giving details of what occupation each family member had.

I haven't delved into individual family members but many years ago my aunt and uncle said they had started going through the old records held locally but stopped when they discovered one member had been hung for being a horse theif.

They always claimed that we were descended from tinkers but my gran indignantly refuted that saying our ancestors were gypsies not tinkers.

Mum started doing the family tree - got so far and then hit a wall with it.

I have bought a copy of the rough guide to Sri Lanka today. So I can start planning my trip. Still not sure when to go. The weather is different on each coast depending on the time of year. The dive seasons are different too. I want some sunshine, scuba diving and to help out Dogstar. Hopefully my book should help me plan when to go!

I am back to when records began on my direct line (late 1500's) having started researching my family tree about 20 years ago. I have found some fascinating things about my ancestors. I don't care whether I have a black sheep or several and never get how people feel shame and want to cover up the actions of people long dead. We are not responsible for what they did!

My mother's side is much more complicated as she was Canadian, her mother and grandmother were American and they came from a long line of French Canadians who I guess will have started in France before making the trek across the Atlantic. I am only back to the mid 1800's with that lot.

I'm now trying to follow the paper trail of my dad's maternal side. So far they have turned out to be pretty poor humble folk, bless 'em. My great grandfather was left an orphan and brought up in the workhouse :(

I have a fascinating and often funny court report from a local newspaper regarding my great great grandmother who was in front of the beak attempting to get her estranged husband to support the children. It was the way back then (1880/90's) to report the cases verbatim so I get to actually "hear" her voice. I can post it if anyone is interested :worried_anim:

• Like 2