UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Oration

merledogs

I am sleeping thats what I am doing ! I have had two 5 am starts and travelled to the capital yesterday to see the MOD and Kandy today to the Veterinary hospital and I am soooooo tired

When I was in Kandy today got caught in 2 lift doors today , not all Sri Lankan lifts have that sensor that reopens the doors and I got squashed twice , 2nd time badly and I am bruised

one of the many dangers of living in an aspiring nation ( we are not allowed to say 3rd world anymore ) actually Sri Lanka has just moved out of the "3rd world" category and is now a middle income nation

lifts are still s***

We met George's "grandma" in the vets and she told me that, amazingly, George's dad, Jess, is still alive! He's almost 17 and getting frail but I was just astonished to find he's still with us. George was his double. To her knowledge there is only one pup left alive from George's litter. I just can't get over the fact that their dad is still with us!

• Like 2

had 8 hours sleep :) am back in the UK next weekend and then Barcelona for the Dogs Trust conference

Hopefully Mark will then be able to come home with me , he is STILL in the UK . This entire forced exile is caused by a paperwork process when you convert to residency visa that requires you to be outside the country. Even last week when I went to immigration to collect my full visa stamp in my passport it transpired that I had to fill in another form and get 3 more signatures from officials !

but its all done and its all legal as is Dogstar , we are registered as an International Non Government Organisation here reporting to the Ministry of Defence , we have work permits and legal visas and we pay taxes

many charities working here are not registered as an NGO , some register as business and worryingly many charities are not charities even in their home country , there is a huge problem here with foreigners working cash in hand and buying dodgy visas which is why ours take so long as EVERYTHING has to be triple checked.

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

Even though the war ended in 2009 the state of emergency only offically ended about 18 months ago

Ngo's and staff report to the MOD to ensure out works are legal , are needed , deliver results and most importantly are not a front to bring funds into the country for people who would like a return to conflict

During the war the LTTE were heavily financed from overseas including fake charities and travel agents

Our accounts are checked every quarter and both mark and I have been security cleared to work here

I have never had a manicure and don't like my fingertips being held, but as my nails are a horrendous mess it might be an idea to get a short manicure with that gel fing on them so they don't break and split. I also have horrid ridges which is a hereditary thing and no indication in my case of ill health, so they have to be filled before varnishing. Hope the nail people don't take one look and go bleurggh.

Still on the net at former owlery. ISP say my probs are due to ancient router, used previously to my time with Orange broadband who provide their own which is locked to them, and which I am using now. New router coming ready set up onTues.

Well done Sam :flowers:

Flying home today :( Usually after I have been away on my own, I am ready to come home as I am bored/fed up of the heat (!) and missing home. That hasn't happened this time, because of the free wifi, I have been able to keep in contact with my friends and family, so I haven't been homesick as normal :) I have 5 hours before my coach comes to collect me, just going to have breakfast, then catch a few last rays before I have a shower and check out :(

Even though the war ended in 2009 the state of emergency only offically ended about 18 months ago

Ngo's and staff report to the MOD to ensure out works are legal , are needed , deliver results and most importantly are not a front to bring funds into the country for people who would like a return to conflict

During the war the LTTE were heavily financed from overseas including fake charities and travel agents

Our accounts are checked every quarter and both mark and I have been security cleared to work here

Right thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Bet it causes you lots of extra work though.

Have a safe journey Jayne!

Phebe it was about 25 minutes for the mini manicure which maonly included trimming and shaping my nails and then putting 1 layer of base coat, 2 layers of nail varnish and 1 layer of top coat. I havent as yet managed to scag them which is a miracle!

Dog ban has been lifted and wen spent fab time down on the beach and then in the cafe afterwards. Really enjoyed ourselves :)