UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Oration

merledogs

We got a visiting dolphin in the harbour at Maryport on the Cumbrian coast for quite a while (Sam it's near Allonby and Mawbray where we went for a walk) I stopped off one day after taking George and Archie to the beach in the hope of seeing Marra as the locals christened him. I was excited and delighted when, just as I had given up and was about to head back to the car, I spotted Mara entering the harbour. I doubt I will ever get closer to a dolphin than that. Jayne's experience sounds amazing especially if those dolphins are interacting with the tourists of their own free will.

• Like 1

I swam with dolphins at Malta but it was a captive environment. They had been rescued from a Russian circus and couldnt return to the wild. I remember seeing some of the scars on the bodies of some of them and wondering what they must have been through whilst with the circus :(

I have been struggling with the mother of all ethical delimias here with an abused owned animal that requires corrective surgery and owners that refuse to do after care , the corrective surgery is to correct there neglect after previous surgery. The poor dog has aggression issues and tried to kill my cats when we tried to care for her here

I have after 24 hours managed to work out a partial solution but its damn tough , there is no enforceable animal welfare laws and a passive culture that looks the other way

my solution is not idea but its the best I can piece together

Hell as they say really is other people

Hope you get something sorted Sam :GroupHug:

The dolphins aren't free to swim out to sea, as the dolphin place gives them a daily vet check and likes to ensure they get their allocated amount of fish every day (obviously there are fish in the sea, but apparently they don't eat those very often for some reason).

null_zps6005f1b7.jpg

null_zps911db236.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder where this place I am thinking of is then , can't find it on google but know I read about it . I am sure it involved previously captive dolphins that had been released that choose to come and interact but could have swam away if they wanted to .

Jayne I think the dolphins are trained using dead fish

my brother swam with hector dolphins (i think thats the right name) and that was in the ocean (new zealand)... they came to swim with you if you wanted or didn't their choice

Sam, hope you find a solution to your problem.... can't be easy if the owners won't do the right aftercare, must be very frustrating

Merledogs, hope your damp patch is nothing too big

Murtle, i feel slightly better thankyou, drinking plenty of water..... need to wait for my blood results as they may stop my treatment

They are trained with dead fish - we had the pleasure of spending 10 minutes in the fish room whilst Benjamin (trainer) explained about each dolphin's needs. They have a big fridge with massive trays with each dolphin's daily allowance in it. When they do the training, they fill up a cool box with fish and take that to the water. For someone who hates fish and everything to do with it, it was the worst bit of the whole day. Had to laugh though when I got back, I had a long shower to get all the fishy sea smell off me, then went to dinner. One of the trays had rice cooked in broth, so I put a load of that on my plate, as I like rice. One forkful in, I realised it was cooked in fish broth. I actually nearly threw up :laugh: :rolleyes:

Weather here today is dire - absolutely peeing down. I lasted till 11.30 on the beach with my pac a mac and towel covering me up, before deciding it was truly too miserable to be sat in the peeing rain. Went to the spa to enquire about a massage, am having that done at 3pm, so I can guarantee the clouds will part and the sun will appear at about 2.45 :laugh: It is an 80 minute sports/deep tissue massage - figured I would get that done before heading back to the world of fitness when I get home.

Jayne I don't really like fish to eat unless it comes from the freezer in triangle shape coated in batter or breadcrumbs but I love to stroke fish and have to fight the desire to do so anytime I am near a wet fish counter. Is that weird? If so, where on the weirdness scale does it come? 1 to 10 with 10 being the weirdest

I don't suppose anyone here knows of a chemistry grad in need of experience who would like a not particularly demanding job for not great money here in Cumbria?

10 Marion, definitely 10... I can't look at the fish counter at the supermarket - makes me want to throw up. Yesterday when the dolphins were swimming around us, the trainer kept throwing fish for the dolphins amongst us. One landed right in front of me :laugh: Thankfully the dolphin came along and hoovered it up pretty quickly!

I bought dryed sprats for the dogs, but then got a tank of fish, so using up the sprats as quick as possible now lol

trudy is off for her check up in a minute, but its treat time, im being reminded lol

I swam with wild dolphins in australia, lovely, but im terrified of deep water, so didnt enjoy it as much as in a tank. no bouancy aids either!

Archie is very itchy - I suspect grass mites again so we are off to the vet this afternoon.

It's peeing down here for the second day in succession. It hardly let up yesterday and I suspect today will be the same.

What's the weather doing today in Mexico Jayne?

Had rather busy evening yesterday. After work I had a mini manicure. Ive never had one before as my nails are rather weak and usually scag and break off especially with the grooming but 2 weeks in the Sun in Sri Lanka and I came back with claws lol. I felt a bit awkward as not my usual sort of thing but it wasnt too bad. Clearly the other people there spend alot of time and money on their nails and must be regulars as they seemed to know the lady doing their nails pretty much inside out.

After manicure and time to dry went to book club. I missed the first one by misjudging how much time I was going to be at Batleys so was my first visit. Had read the chosen book and hated it. 5 people turned up only 2 of us had finished it, 2 has gotten so far and given up and 1 hadnt read it as the copy she bought off Amazon never arrived. We spent about half an hour ripping the book apart and saying how bad, cringeworthy and unnecessary some of the descriptions were in it. After that we decided on next book and spent the rest of time chatting. Quite nice escape once a month to a cosy cafe :) Book was apparently made into a film but i really dont fancy seeing it.

Jayne you wouldnt cope with dishing out the food for the Dogstar cats and dogs. It contains dried fish and the beady little eyes watch you :laugh:

Edited by lil_angel

*vom* def couldn't cope with that :laugh:

You do get to know the nail girls when you are a regular. I go every 3 weeks for nails and eyebrows, the girls become your friends after a while :)

Glad you have the morning off tomorrow Sam :) Do you have anything planned?

Weather here today is breezy but dry :) there are a few clouds knocking around, but no rain yet :)