UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May's Mundane Mutterings

merledogs

Morning all.

Archie has gone to Aira Force today with the DW'ers. They picked him up just after 9am. The weather isn't very nice so I hope that doesn't spoil a good walk for them all. Archie won't care what the weather is doing as long as he is out.

It's quite muggy here too.

RMF : In amongst the usual gang of Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves, Sparrows, Blackbirds, Robins, etc which come to my garden to feed, we have a new gang member - a pigeon like the variety which usually live in cities (which are apparently called Feral Pigeons or Rock Doves). He's on his own so not mated (I assume) but is looking far healthier than any of the pigeons you normally see in city centres.

Hey Alex that's funny, I have noticed we also have a visiting feral pigeon who started calling just recently. I think I supply a far too generous supply of bird seed and meal worms and word is getting round :rolleyes: We also have a pair of collared doves and a pair of wood pigeons too!

Archie got back a little after 1pm having had a lovely morning.

I have had a great chat on Skype to my friend in the US and you should all notice a change as we have set the world to rights in a little under 3 hours :biggrin:

it did stay dry... in fact it turned quite warm whilst i was outside

i like pigeons of all varieties..... my dad however is grumping about the bird mess on the path

glad you have put the world to rights Yantan... i did a little of that today too, a lady round here died recently, her family have done the flat up and i assume let it out... lord knows what they were thinking renting it to the people who have it. their mum always had beautiful plants in a wide flower bed to stop people walking across the grassed area... the people in there are squeezing through the trees and trampling the plants, they are also causing a danger by the way they keep parking (right by a corner so you have to pull out blind) then we get to the row of vehicles for sale... shame the highway inspector is onto them Lol. i really don't know why you would move to a nice area where people look after things and try to turn it into a dump...very odd!

I have planted out a Japanese Maple at the back fence so provide some screening from the Clampetts. I've also got a Corkscrew Hazel which was here when I moved in and which would have been grafted onto a Common Hazel. I've let the Common Hazel take over and it's now about 8 or 9 ft at least. They grow up to 15m, so I am just going to let it grow and grow until I can no longer see their house and therefore they cannot see into my garden while I'm having a pootle. They can see in other places but the trees which they chopped right back are growing out again so as long as they don't cut them again, they should provide more cover as well.

I am also going to plant a Buddleja or something else in between the two trees, which should grow fairly quickly once it's in.

Today I have mostly been trying to explain people to other people and sorting out messes :mad1: Light is appearing at end of tunnel. (I hope.)

Not please with care system here. Social worker arranged for mum to go into a few days' respite care after her fall, where he assured me she would get assessment and help from OT and physio. She would have to pay. I went on Saturday and the nurse in charge told me that she was in "intermediate care" which is NHS funded, and she would be there for up to 8 weeks at no cost. She told me that if I came to visit today I would be able to speak with the physios and OT and would be fully involved in all decisions.

Turned up today and spoke with one of the managers who say mum is not in intermediate care but respite care for which she has to pay. She has not seen physio or OT, there are no arrangements for her to be assessed, and as far as the home is concerned they don't know much about her and it's up to me when she goes home. I said her home care agency needs 48 hours notice to reinstate the service. I called agency to suggest Friday, and they said they can't reinstate service until the social worker has cleared her to go home. Now I have to chase up the social worker tomorrow morning, the agency gave me a name and number. I have dealt with her before and she is good.

I hope she can make sense of this. Mum is much better, most of bruising has faded and she was quiet as usual until I broached the possibility of permanent residential care when she became very lucid and said no way, not ever. I said what about this problem of you falling, and she said she would just not answer the door. I will have to disable the doorbell and put up a notice.

Good luck Phebe..

How about this for a GENUINE name for a group within the NHS - the "End of Life Team". I kid you not - I have rung them to check!

My mother is a cantankerous control freak who does not believe in showing emotion (unless an animal is injured) - she said to me she had received a call from someone on behalf of this team and could not believe the name. She is terminally ill - she has known for a long time and has come to terms with it. She even jokes that she will not be around for certain events but this really set her back. She is determined to not give in until she has to (we are sure that bullying my father is what keeps her going) but she said this really upset her and I agree with her that there is no reason to rub people's noses in their situation. The team helps with things like a bath lift (you do not have to be terminally ill to need one surely). One of her support workers is employed by the team - and she is very pleased with what he does to help.

I rang the team and the lady was extremely apologetic - they hate the name and are careful to not use it but sometimes the people who actually supply the services are not so tactful. The powers that be have said that they should use the name to be "Open and Honest" - I have said I am more than happy for one of them to contact me to explain to them in simple words how soul destroying "The End of Life Team" can be for someone who is determined to carry on as long as possible.

thats a terrible name! when mother was dying I couldnt talk to someone with that title

is there anyone on here that has a 2 bedroomed house in norfolk to rent please? lovely family with a labrador so a secure garden

You can be open and honest without using such a term. What is wrong with "long term care team"? As you say, the services to support chronically ill people at home are much the same as those for terminally ill people.

If the powers that be are in favour of being open and honest, I am sure they will be happy for buddyboy to tell them exactly what she thinks of their lack of compassion and inability to listen to their staff.

I learned the term "end of life team" when my step-mama was in our local cottage hospital in the final stages of cancer. It was used only at the beginning to introduce them and explain about the dedicated wing and the workings and never, as far as I was aware, in the hearing of patients. Buddyboy good for you complaining.

Owl I'm sorry you and mummy Owl are once again at the mercy of people who seem not to know their arses from their elbow. I hope things get sorted.