UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May's Mundane Mutterings

merledogs

Spoke to Nick last night and apparently he doesn't think friend is a vegan so much as a picky vegetarian so he might not like the veggie sausages I got after all - oh well I've got some tinned veggie soups in the cupboard hopefully I can find him something he will eat.

I am glad I'm going to be out this afternoon as Rob is going to try to have a difficult conversation with his mum about Sal. Last night we were just chatting and mil suddenly said she'd been thinking, and that when Nick & Vicky go away in Sept she would pay for us to put Sally into kennels for a week so we could have Bruno - I pointed out it was actually over 2 weeks that they need us to have Bruno and that it was 4 months away yet and surely she'd have Sal home with her by then? ....this was met with stoney silence. I also said that between now and Sept we'd want Nick & Vicky to come visit us and that we would like to go visit them and see Amelia etc. and we couldn't do that if we still had Sal ... more silence, then she said if it was only overnight then she'd have Sal for us to go see them...... I raised the subject of a dog walker since she agrees she can manage the dogs being around its just walking Sal thats the issue and once again she changed the subject. *sighs*

Can I ask those who have dog walkers what kind of prices you pay and do you have a walker every day? I've just been looking for walkers in mils area and theres quite a few but they all seem to charge £7 for 30 mins or £12 for an hour I doubt that mil can afford almost £50 a week for Sal to be walked 7 days a week.

there is a group of disabled people here that do anything for £5 an hour, housework,and walking dogs included. you could see if there is anyone like that in the area. you have to tell her straight that she has to have her back, orrrr do what she did. can you have her overnight while we go out, and leave her there lol

We were paying £6.50 an hour to our regular dog walker but the stand-in one was charging £7.50 per hour so we put the rate up to that ourselves for Cara the regular DW. (Given all the extra hours she gives Archie we thought it only fair) My friend's daughter in a neighbouring town pays £10 per hour. We usually only have Cara or Esther for 4 days of the week as Ruby walks Archie the other 3 but they do often have to stand in for her over the weekend as she is often away. Esther can do a Saturday with plenty of notice but has Sunday off, Cara is very flexible though. We don't pay extra for weekend walks.

You could advertise or ask around for a retired person who would be willing to walk Sal for much less than the DW services. It's one of the reasons our rates are low as we have a lot of people retiring here who are fit and active but don't want to be tied with a dog but still like the company of one and they do dog walking for very low rates - even for nowt!

You could advertise or ask around for a retired person who would be willing to walk Sal for much less than the DW services. It's one of the reasons our rates are low as we have a lot of people retiring here who are fit and active but don't want to be tied with a dog but still like the company of one and they do dog walking for very low rates - even for nowt!

I was also going to suggest that - many people love dogs but feel that when they (the people) are elderly it is unfair to take on a new one (and do not want to take on an older dog full time). There are also people who feel they could not give a dog a decent home due to long working hours but would love to have one so they may be able to help with the exercise regime at weekends/evenings.

Good luck with finding a dog walker snow :flowers:

Had a lovely walk with the boys. The two bullocks have managed to get in with the cows and were happy as pigs in muck :wub: One of them (the friendly one) was going round the cows rubbing heads and necks :wub:

I need to go to Costco for cat and bird food. Fingers crossed they don't have any plants in that I like :rolleyes:

Edited by merledogs

We are in the caravan, and because there was not enough grassed areas and we weren't putting the awning up, we have been put in a large undercover area that is used for the cattle at the Yorkshire show :laugh: I shall take a photo and upload it when I get home :) As it is absolutely peeing down though, it's not such a bad thing :laugh:

OMG only been at this OU day for 30mins and it is odd. Fingers crossed it gets better as I have opted to come here instead of a BBQ...at the moment she is talking about a course to those who are doing it...it is to those who are doing it as she keeps saying "as you know" if they know it why aren't you telling us something we don't?! I want to know other than it being compulsory why would I do it and how would it benefit me...not just an overview of the course planner!!

Hey ho!!

Snow, ask at your vets, or the vets that Sal is registered with, if you explain the problem with MIL mobility but how you want to keep Sal in the home with her they may be able to suggest a walker or perhaps one of them may offer to walk her themselves... i know our vet nurses have done it for people and often there is no charge as the other dog is keeping their dog company...not saying it would be the case but worth an ask. I don't know how far the other family members are from you but why on earth has it been left to you and Rob? why couldn't Sal go back to your Mil's home and they help out with walking her? hope the talk goes o.k and you manage to get something sorted

Murtle... hope your OU talk improves

oooooooo bulls are scary...cute but scary especially when they run Lol

Rant alert : Why do they still put that piece of crap Eurovision on BBC1? Switch it to BBC2 (or better still stop wasting our money on a show with a politically motivated voting system that we have zero chance of winning) :mad: Okay, rant over.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest the Cinnamon Trust too! Never used a dog walker but I think the rates can be very variable.

I am sure the bullock was only playing by the sound of it Alex but even play can be very dangerous!

Sorry for you all suffering the rain we have had a beautiful day today although I have slept through most of it. Today has been a very black day :(