UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

April's Alluring Orations

merledogs

Walking over the fields the day before yesterday Mungo picked up a rabbit carcase (head, legs spine and fur) probably left by a fox. I managed to chase him down and make him wait while I took it from him - by the ear - and threw it in the hedge.

Yesterday, I was not so fast and he hadn't been fed. He found another one and ate it, on the run. I didn't feed him last night and only gave him a small meal this morning. Haven't picked up anything yet - from either end.

Anyone got any experience or observations on this ?

Hi Mommy Bear. Try not to worry too much. My two have raw food every day, including things like chicken carcasses. They do fine on it. I admit that they have never had a whole bunny but my understanding of the theory is that the fur and skin will "wrap itself" around any bones and help it through. You may find that Mungo's poo is quite hard in comparison to the usual consistency and may also be whitish in colour. It will return to normal once all the bunny bones find their way out. my understanding re bugs and infections is that a dog's stomach acid is very strong and should kill any bacteria. Dogs were scavengers, still are in many countries and are designed to cope with eating carrion.

I hope Mungo will be fine but if you're worried, your vet is the best person to advise you. :flowers:

Umm yes I do have experience of rabbit eating.Trixie killed and ate one recntly,every last little bit.There as no way in the world I as going to get it off her and she started gulping it down so worried she would choke I left her to it,and didn't give her anything else to eat that evening,no side effects whatsoever - but everytime she woke up and moved during the night I was up watching her :rolleyes: Duncan's cut pad has finally almost healed so took them over to meadows by river after work and bless him he was so happy to be off lead after a week - and so was I,hate doing long onlead walks.

Glad to hear Mungo's now "been". :biggrin: Great things we talk about on here! :rolleyes:

Zico's Mum, "gulping" is quite normal - especially if they think their food might be stolen before they finish it! But again, their digestive system is designed to cope with very large chunks, or, to regurgitate and re-eat chunks.

Do hope no-one is eating dinner and RMF-ing at the same time!

The late Humphrey puli ambushed the occasional rabbit who came into the garden. He once ate a huge buck rabbit, slept for hours and didn't need to eat anything else for 2 days. I was likewise anxious and watching him carefully as he had devoured it so quickly, but although the typical puli belches were even more resounding than usual his digestion was fine.

Love the flying dog pic, louisebt :laugh:

I have a fun photo if anyone would be so kind as to post it for me?

Had a fantastic weekend, after the dressage yesterday, we went to play flyball on Anglesey. It was lovely weather, and we came 1st. Charlie only had 194 points to get to get his next award, but we got 130 :rolleyes: We had an amazing time, and Charlie was running at 4.7 seconds, which is super quick, especially for an 11 year old :wub:

Murtle - have a rest missus, you're making me feel tired laugh.gif

Its usually you were are saying that too! :laugh:

Thanks Mrs B. Happy to report as you predicted, a nice firm product. :laugh: He seems absolutely fine and thanks for your advice about the exercise after the feast.

Had another busy day! Been shopping... again, to get the last bits for the caravan. Went to visit MIL who isnt good. McMillan nurses are booked to come tomorrow to prescribe proper pain relief as paracetomol just not good enough now. GP wont prescribe Morphine apparently as is very specific. Then I took the dogs for individual walks so they could both have mummy time. Neo had some play ball time without his muzzle as no one around. It was such a delight to see his happy smiley face and waggy bum. :wub: Its been so tough for him at home too having to wear a buster collar (skin infection on his leg) and muzzle outside. I didn't even mind when he lost Saffys brand new ball on a rope as he had such fun trying to find it. Though it was my fault really as I decided to play hide and seek by lying in the long grass and he dropped it to come and find me! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by safneo

Morning :tired:

Had a fantastic weekend, after the dressage yesterday, we went to play flyball on Anglesey. It was lovely weather, and we came 1st.

Congratulations flowers.gif

Had another busy day! Been shopping... again, to get the last bits for the caravan. Went to visit MIL who isnt good. McMillan nurses are booked to come tomorrow to prescribe proper pain relief as paracetomol just not good enough now. GP wont prescribe Morphine apparently as is very specific. Then I took the dogs for individual walks so they could both have mummy time. Neo had some play ball time without his muzzle as no one around. It was such a delight to see his happy smiley face and waggy bum. :wub: Its been so tough for him at home too having to wear a buster collar (skin infection on his leg) and muzzle outside. I didn't even mind when he lost Saffys brand new ball on a rope as he had such fun trying to find it. Though it was my fault really as I decided to play hide and seek by lying in the long grass and he dropped it to come and find me! :rolleyes: :laugh:

a) STILL waiting for pics of caravan dry.gif

b) for MIL Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

c) Neo wub.gif

RMF : At the docs at 9am, then I have to go and pay a cheque into the bank and pick up a book from the sorting office. Looks like it's going to be another lovely day here, although a bit cloudier than yesterday.

Murtle - have a rest missus, you're making me feel tired laugh.gif

If only I could do half of what you do I'd have the flat sorted and on the market :biggrin:

Well decluttering continued well, I have been very thorough so it's been great still lots more to go but heading in the right direction. Hopefully the local charity shop will be happy too! The clothes bank will be groaning on my way home when I dump the bags and bags of clothes into it. :flowers:

But, back to work today - yay! I must be one of the saddo's who is enjoying coming back to work. I bet you never thought you'd hear me say that :unsure:

Safneo :GroupHug:

Edited by murtle

Lovely to see Shady safe :wub:

I'm sorry about your MIL Andrea, it must be very hard at the minute :GroupHug:

Mungo :sick01:

Have a lovely time Marge :flowers:

RMF: I'm scared that if I yawn any more this morning I will get lockjaw.

Where did the weekend go? We had a traditional bank holiday, went to B&Q yesterday for an argument.

Well done gooster and Charlie :flowers:

Thanks, Sam, will email it to you now :flowers:

safneo, I do hope your MIL gets pain relief sorted. GPs hands are somewhat tied by extra restrictions since the Shipman case and it can make things difficult for those in need.