UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Noo Allotment

houndzrus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like an awesome amount of work Marge, my back aches just looking at it :laugh:

I can't wait to see how it looks a few months down the line :flowers:

I have put my name on the waiting list:ph34r_anim: There are 2700 plots across our council area, with a waiting list of 800 people and an average wait of 4 years. 4% of the plots are so bad they are deemed unlettable but there are no plans/funds to make them lettable. I'm going to speak to the allotment manager about whether you can jump the queue if you take a really bad one. And then try and find a man with a JCB to take the top off it :rolleyes:

Will Captain Jack and Princess Cherry be joining you down there?

Yes, if all goes to plan. :flowers: the old shed we bought off ebay will be a place to sit and make tea. The outside area will be treated with weedkiller and covered with weed membrane and bark chippings. There's a bit of fencing to do to, so that it can be a safe place for the houndies to lie and enjoy the fresh air. Need to make sure all the glass is cleared first, but it won't be too long now. :biggrin:

Jules, that is a good plan. Andrea, (Safneo) Got one fairly quick because she was willing to share, so maybe your council will speed up for you. Ours isn't run by the council, it's an association, so maybe that's why things are a bit less formal? :unsure:

I've cancelled some of the plants as I was panicking about their upkeep, so now i will redo the plan :laugh:

Edited by houndzrus

This weekend's work.

We have got allotment fever I reckon! :ohmy: Spent a long time marking out today, with twine and then lots of digging while the sun shone. It was only cold if you stopped :wink:

We have now pathways marked (one each side and one down the middle) as well as 4 veg beds dug and all the others marked out. Can't see the twine in the picture as it is green . :laugh: Lots more people introduced themselves to us today. :biggrin:

e34cc637.jpg

I went up for the first time on my own today and there were some people around :biggrin: Had a quick chat to the lady next door, who was fitting in a quick "hour" in between dropping off and picking up children. She is a childminder and hadn't got the afternoon child yet :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was a glorious day, sunny and not windy. I made good progress on the chillout zone and dug an 8ft x 8ft veg bed. Finished off with a bit of weeding and glass collecting and then home for a nice cuppa. :biggrin:

weed membrane down

P1080123.jpg

bed dug

P1080122.jpg

judging by the amount of roots under the soil, I can see there will be a battle for the summer, to keep the weeds at bay on the veg plots. :unsure: