UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nog's Progress - updated 29th September 2010

snow

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are starting to get back to "normal" in slow stages, since I have to go back to work Monday we are gradually starting to ease off with the round the clock attention he's getting, so today we ventured out for an hour which turned into 90 mins due to traffic, leaving Nog confined to the lounge & kitchen, having first Nog proofed the sofas and chairs by piling them high with crates and boxes so there was no chance of him even attempting to get up on them. We also left him the double airbed which we have been taking it in turns to sleep on over night with him, came back and he was fast asleep right in the middle of it with his head on the pillows even though he had a big buster collar on laugh.gif we will probably keep on sleeping with him until the stitches come out as it's no real trial for us and he isnt used to sleeping alone. Its starting to get noticeable that he's lost weight tho probably more than we had thought but thats not a bad thing as it'll will help with the leg and he'll soon put it back on again once he gets back to eating properly.

I forgot to do Mondays update so this is a double one laugh.gif he had his stitches out Monday but still wasn't allowed any walkies or exercise although the leg was healing and his toes are much healthier looking they changed him to a wet to dry dressing (which I wish I hadn't googled wacko.gif ) and we had to go back today.

We have continued to notice his weight dropping and his coat losing condition, and he himself is getting very excitable even just going out to the car to go to the vet but at home he's fed up and a bit down having to stay indoors and quiet, he's eating well and pee's and poo's are all fine. When I took him today he dragged me to the car and if I hadn't had him on a very short lead theres no doubt he would have leaped into the car on his own rather than be lifted in by me. Once we got to the hospital he began to shake and his teeth were constantly chattering - so much so it was commented upon by the receptionist who could hear it from across the room. When I saw the vet after his dressing change he also commented that Nog had been very excitable both whilst having his dressing changed and for the first time had not settled in his kennel and was restless and excited and his temperature was up a bit.

I'd asked them to weigh him as the weight loss concerns me, he's now only 25k which is a 2k drop from when he was first admitted to the hospital - they are going to monitor it, given he's on confinement and eating wet food as well as left overs and treats he would normally be expected to gain weight not lose it - 25k makes him underweight now for his size.

The leg is definately healing, they were very pleased with the results of the wet to dry dressing, all the manky tissue on the out side of the leg has now gone and there are just 2 small black patches left on the inner leg which should hopefully come away with the next dressing change.

Given his excitement levels and the fact he towed the vet himself across the car park when he took him out to see him move and check his wee's and poo they have decided that he can now start to be exercised! Only 5 - 10 mins on lead on level ground but we can gradually build up to him going out a few times a day for short walks rather than long walks once a day they also would like for him to start to walk on the injured leg as he will now stand on it and bear his full weight. We have to go back in 4 days this time so thats an improvement too.

While I was there the receptionist told me they were going to submit the claim to M&S as it was "building up" - so far it stands at just over £4, 000 ohmy.gifwacko.gif plus the original £500 we spent with our own vet - and we know still to come are more xrays and acupuncture wacko.gif lets hope we dont exceed the 7k limit mellow.gif wacko.gif

I think I might be looking for some form of food to put weight back on but will wait and see if the fact he can start walkies again will make a difference to how he feels and maybe the weight will go back on naturally.

We have continued to notice his weight dropping and his coat losing condition, and he himself is getting very excitable even just going out to the car to go to the vet but at home he's fed up and a bit down having to stay indoors and quiet, he's eating well and pee's and poo's are all fine. When I took him today he dragged me to the car and if I hadn't had him on a very short lead theres no doubt he would have leaped into the car on his own rather than be lifted in by me. Once we got to the hospital he began to shake and his teeth were constantly chattering - so much so it was commented upon by the receptionist who could hear it from across the room. When I saw the vet after his dressing change he also commented that Nog had been very excitable both whilst having his dressing changed and for the first time had not settled in his kennel and was restless and excited and his temperature was up a bit.

I'd asked them to weigh him as the weight loss concerns me, he's now only 25k which is a 2k drop from when he was first admitted to the hospital - they are going to monitor it, given he's on confinement and eating wet food as well as left overs and treats he would normally be expected to gain weight not lose it - 25k makes him underweight now for his size.

I think I might be looking for some form of food to put weight back on but will wait and see if the fact he can start walkies again will make a difference to how he feels and maybe the weight will go back on naturally.

Snow when both Merrie my BC and Barty (lurcher) had problems - she had a dreadful accident like your boy and Barty had surgery on his back - they both dropped weight alarmingly. i was told by the hospital that they need up to 50% more food per day when they are healing from dramatic accidents or surgery. Perhaps you need to feed Nog even more than you are doing at the moment.

It all sounds such good news for the boy, I am so glad for you.

So glad he is doing so well :flowers:

I know when Sweetie was ill and lost weight - and it was a different situation from Nog of course - the vet recommended splitting the food up into 4 meals a day as you would for a young pup. We also added some olive oil and fish oil to her meals. Not sure what he usually eats, but some scrambled egg might also help put weight on?

Very glad to hear Nog is improving :GroupHug: :wub:

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight loss, he is bound to be losing muscle as he can't exercise. Greyhounds are also terrible for losing weight if they are even a tiny bit stressed - and of course being skinny dogs to start with any weight loss looks dramatic. I suspect he'll will very quickly pick up weight and condition once he's able to get out and about a bit more.

Have you thought about using a ramp for the car? It might be easier on your back than lifting him - I've got a very sturdy one here I don't need for any of my current lot which you'd be more than welcome to borrow :flowers:

And the roller coaster keeps right on rolling.... news today wasn't great, not only has Nog lost another 1/2 kilo in just 4 days but the leg on the inside is most certainly not healing and now when the dressing is changed the vet can actually see the plate wacko.gif Nog needs to see the surgeon who operated on him again so we're going back Wednesday - the bad news is that if he thinks the leg isnt going to heal then he will need to operate on Nog again and remove the plate mecry.gif

As for the weightloss that now needs to be nipped in the bud, they'd like him on at least 4 can sized meals a day but there is fat chance of Nog eating that much - he wouldn't have even if he were fit and well and out running twice a day, despite the fact that a high fat/protien diet will also make him more energetic which will need to be managed, and despite the fact this isn't the kind of diet he should be on long term we now need to build him up again he's had a tin of Irish stew for his dinner and has eaten the lot, it remains to be seen tho if he'll eat anything else later on this evening.

We had the cheque thru from M&S this morning for the first set of treatment which we'd paid for, and we also had the invoice from the hospital which comes to £4,014 so hopefully that will go thru OK, the big worry now is that we only have £2600 left of our £7k limit so if further surgery is needed we could well exceed it wacko.gif mecry.gif