UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nog's Progress - updated 29th September 2010

snow

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toes feel warm to me, plus the plastic bags we use to protect the foot and dressing whenever he goes out for a wee soon fill with condensation which suggests theres warmth being generated. He's a LOT more alert today and starting to get a bit clingy with me, whenever I came up here for a wee today he stood at the bottom of the stairs peering up thru the babygate and whistling... methinks theres a fine line to be walked between keeping him company and keeping an eye on him messing with the dressing vs encouraging him to get anxious when left alone for even 2 mins bearing in mind that since this happened he has not been left alone even over night as we're taking it in turns to sleep on the airbed in the lounge with him. When we've seen the vet tomorrow and see how the legs getting on after having the dressing on for 2 days unchanged provided that alls well I think we'll start short sessions with me up here and him down in the lounge.

Back from the hospital where the news continues to be positive - the skin is starting to heal, there's no sign of infection and they didn't have quite as much skin to clean off as they have previously, although it's still oozing, toes are lovely and warm and the swelling is going down in the leg but the foot is still a bit swollen. Apparently we are doing everything right as this part of the healing is down to the care he gets at home so it was nice to be given a bit of credit biggrin.gif Dressing needs to be changed again Friday but at least we are now on every other day visits rather than daily. The toes are still a mess but everyone is now more optimistic albeit cautiously that if things keep on this way then slow tho it may be it is progress. Nog is still being good about taking his meds so long as they are given with paté rolleyes.gif laugh.gif I am writing this on my pc upstairs in my office - Nog is downstairs, starting now we're going to stop spending every min of every day with him as I need to go back to work next week and the vet thinks he's putting it on laugh.gif so 5 mins every now and again I will pop up here and just start getting him used to being back on his own for a short while.

Thanks again for all the good wishes and healing thoughts - keep them coming as they are obviously working!

Hospital again today for yet another dressing change, again the leg is making progress slow progress but progress none the less and we don't have to go back now until Monday *yayyyyy* albeit that it's sods law in action again as I have to go back to work Monday and hubby can only have Tuesday off so it means I come straight home from work grab Nog and go direct to the hospital ah well rolleyes.gif if everything is well then Nog may even have the sutures out on Monday biggrin.gif fingers crossed that we can start on gentle exercise soon and it will very much feel like we are on the road to recovery proper. Nog will now stand square on all 4 legs and takes the weight on his bad leg albeit that he still uses 3 legs to get about the aim of the gentle 5 -10 min lead walks will be to encourage him to use the leg when walking. If we are able to start walks next week then actually he'll be on target despite all the problems with the manky skin but we shall have to wait and see. Everyone commented today he seems far far livlier and happy than he has been up to now - he even towed the vet nurse across the surgery and down the corridors to "his" kennel laugh.gif he knows the way now and went off with a waggy tail to see his "friends" he even snarled at a very sweet Akita bitch he saw in the waiting room laugh.gif poor thing was quite disconcerted all she did was wag her tail at him laugh.gif