UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nog's Progress - updated 29th September 2010

snow

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a stressy day today - tinged with moments of pure farce rolleyes.gif The crate has been installed in the car and today was the first run with Nog in it, it was also the day where all lifting in and out etc was done by me as I'm going to be having to do it solo from tomorrow onwards. Whilst I can lift Nogs weight without problem the awkwardness of where he's sore and the location of his dressing etc makes lifting him more difficult for me than for Rob as Rob has much longer arms and doesn't have a great big pair of boobies getting in the way laugh.gif Getting Nog into the car was actually far less traumatic for me & Nog than I had feared so we duly set off only to have to return straight back home again after barely 20 yards as the instant I turned the first corner Nog & the waterproof mattress crate liner slid across the floor of the cage and ended up in a heap wacko.gif so I had immediate practice in getting Nog back out again whilst Rob dived in the house to find something that wouldn't slide about. We ended up using Nog's large bed sorta jammed in with the other mattress with Nog back in the crate the journey went off without further problem. We've solved the issue for tomorrow by spending yet more money rolleyes.gif and buying several yards of rubber backed bathroom carpet which we've cut to the size of the tray and his bed goes on top and doesn't move at all now.

Nog once again was a good boy at the vet, he's starting to actually weight bare on the injured leg which is good and he's far more alert and aware, he also did NOT want to go off with the vet and leave me behind and told the vet firmly what he thought of that laugh.gif she hasn't heard him "talking" before and we hadn't heard a peep out of him for over a week now so it was lovely to hear him commenting again laugh.gif bad news is tho that the toes are now more black than purple and are feeling cold so tomorrow we are going to see Hannes the senior vet who performed the surgery to discuss options. If things continue this way we could be looking at skin grafts or loss of toes and in the worst case scenario total loss of the leg mecry.gif so lots of positive thoughts for healthy skin and toes are needed.

Back from the hospital, first time going solo and Nog was a very good boy except when he tried to jump into the back of the car rolleyes.gif wacko.gif we've had a few words about numpty behaviour and stern warnings about behaving himself laugh.gif anyway the news is better than we hoped, the toes are lovely and warm and the skin has faded back to raspberry pink from black - it's still oozing and still looking messy but they were so pleased that we don't have to go back tomorrow! Yippeeeee we go back Wednesday and iiiiifffff the foot is looking Ok then we can start going to out own vet for dressing changes every other day. So we still need lots of warm toes and healing skin thoughts. He's also off the tramadol which is a mixed blessing, the tramadol was keeping him a bit dopey and quiet he's now much much more alert and far more aware of his surroundings, which means my alert levels also need to go up to stop him doing anything daft, especially now that hes begun to weightbear on the injured leg. He's still not out of the woods but it was all in all more positive today.