UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nog's Progress - updated 29th September 2010

snow

No worries about mentioning Ange thank you, but Nog has always had the odd mushroom in spaggy bol or curry etc without effect he's also had the odd bit of onion when I havent been able to fish them all out - again with no ill effect, I will say tho that whilst the description might be chicken & mushroom pie I have yet to actually see anything that even resembles a mushroom in one laugh.gif laugh.gif

Tonight he had minced beef in gravy mixed in with a cupful of his chappie kibble, and 20 mins ago he had some left over tuna mayonnaise with grated cheese that we'd had with jacket potatoes and couldn't finish - he ate the lot biggrin.gif he's also had his walkies and did do some sniff stop sniff but isnt putting the leg down yet but tis early days.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about using lamb mince ?.....I used to use it a lot for Celli when she was on her cancer diet, you can get it pretty cheap in Tesco, they have it in bags in the freezer bit, add some tomatoes, herbs, wee tatties to bulk it out a bit,and you've got a reasonably healthy and tasty tea.

What about using lamb mince ?.....I used to use it a lot for Celli when she was on her cancer diet, you can get it pretty cheap in Tesco, they have it in bags in the freezer bit, add some tomatoes, herbs, wee tatties to bulk it out a bit,and you've got a reasonably healthy and tasty tea.

I might try that for myself :laugh:

still sending lots of good heal thoughts

for the lovely Nog :wub:

Todays visit was again an optimistic one - the leg looks a wee bit better tho the plate is still visible but the wound isn't manky which is good, they think the weight loss is predominantly muscle wastage as Nog no longer has a fat bum laugh.gif and muscle weighs a lot more than fat which would explain why his weight has dropped so quickly, there is some general weight loss too as his ribs and spine are really visible but thats not quite as bad as we thought. They don't want the wastage to continue and are concerned Nog will get into the habit of not using his leg, so now we have to walk him just enough for him to get a little tired on 3 legs so that he starts to use the injured leg, 10 mins isn't enough as he just hops/lopes along the entire time and doesn't even attempt to put the injured leg down. I also need to call our usual vet on Monday and arrange to start physiotherapy - just checked our policy and we have an additional allowance of £1,000 for complementary treatments so that won't come out of the veterinary budget biggrin.gif I've also been shown how to make him stand on the bad leg and this has to be done several times a day. We came back with more pills to prevent any irritation of his tummy which might also be a reason for his poor appetite.

It's nice to be given the all clear for physio, and surprisingly despite all the ups and downs its a bit earlier than we were originally aiming for (usually around the 6 week point) but apparently theres often a waiting list so by the time we start it will be closer to 6 weeks than not.

Todays dressing is a lighter one and his toes are now uncovered for the first time since he broke his leg biggrin.gif

Back again Monday for a dressing change.

Latest news: the results of the swabs came back and it seems Nog has a rare form of bacteria in the wound on top of which he's resistant to the antibiotics he's been on (Baytril) he also seems to be resistant to almost all of the usual AB's given to dogs (flipping typical rolleyes.gif laugh.gif ) however the good news is that he isn't resistant to penicillin and this bacteria is of a type that hasn't developed a resistance to penicillin so should respond well to it, so we've changed AB's and fingers crossed that the new ones will have a good result. The main wound is now granulating and the pin head/plate has started to get covered, the bad news is another small wound has opened up over the plate and the plate is visible in that area now wacko.gif so we're hoping for good things from the new AB's but we're still on dressing changes every other day *sighs*.

He's started to adapt to the Tramadol too and isn't getting quite as spaced out on them as he was at first though there are still moments where he is most definately off with the faries somewhere laugh.gif

Using the leg .... well thats something else entirely... he is now out and covering TWICE as much distance as he normally would on 4 legs but he's doing it on 3 wacko.gif it's not until towards the end of the 4th round the block that he even begins to put the bad leg down and even then it's only every 3rd or 4th stride and just the toes not the full foot. We've also switched from a very slow walk to a trot as walking slowly he'd probably go on forever without it going down, I checked with the vet as he's not supposed to go faster than a walk but they seem more keen on him actually starting to use the leg than they are concerned about the speed although he still mustn't run or do any impact (jumping or boinging) kind of activity. The positive impact of the extra walkies has been that he is eating far more and actively seeking food and as a result has put on 0.3kilos biggrin.gif he is also now putting the leg down and bearing weight on it when he stands.

Still waiting on the physio referral and hoping to hear back from my vet shortly as to whats happening when.

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised I haven't updated this in a few weeks, we're still back and forth to the hospital several times a week but the good news is that the wounds are healing the new AB's are definately helping and Nog now only has 1 teeny weeny hole left which is only a couple of millimeters long but thru which plate can still be seen so needs to close up/granulate a little more before the dressings can come off. The dressings are no longer providing any support for the leg and are merely there to hold the gel in place thats being used to treat the wound.

Nog has started to put weight back on and is back up to 26 kilo still could do with another kilo or so but thats going to come when he can step up the exercise some more. He will use the leg now, and will walk on all 4 legs when reminded to do so, but he defaults to hopping when he wants to get somewhere quickly laugh.gifrolleyes.gif hes also now off all pain killers and seems fine - in fact since stopping the tramadol he's a LOT more aware of whats going on, far more feisty, and last night he even got a toy out and flung it round the room tho we had to intervene as he wanted to play pouncing games and those arent allowed yet.

We had one heart stopping moment last week when he was out in the garden, he's allowed off lead for a wee so long as he is closely supervised - I checked the garden before I let him out and it was clear, he did a poo and I nipped inside for a poo bag and when I came back out he was under a tree staring up ..... all I got a chance to say was "N" when he leapt into the air to try and get to the cat above him rolleyes.gif then ran round the garden like a loon rolleyes.gif wacko.gif with me shreiking NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO of course he was highly pleased with himself sad.gif so hes back to only going out on lead thankfully the vets confirmed no damage was done and as we're at 7 weeks now it wasn't quite as risky but even so my nerves were jangling...

We've finally got details for physio - if he has it it'll be laser therapy done at our local vets however since hes already using the leg and its muscling up nicely I'm waiting til we see the hospital again on Wednesday to see if they still think it's needed.

They will radiograph the leg again soon once the wounds all closed and if the results are good Nog can be discharged, the radiograph will also give us an idea of when we can start to increase activity and when the leg will be able to cope with running and impact so we'll have a timescale for when he can be allowed upstairs again or on the sofa etc and when I might be able to reclaim my lounge laugh.gif as it is we have now bought him his very own single airbed so at least I can walk thru the lounge without tripping over. He absolutely loves the airbed so when he can come back upstairs I may end up using it at the end of the bed for him anyway.