UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Spike'S Passed Away

houndzrus

My special boy Spike passed away in his sleep during the night. it hasn't sunk in yet, so I'll write this while I have it fresh in my mind.

he was our first Greyhound and the very best introduction anyone could have to this wonderful breed. He's battled with health problems since his ruptured spleen last October, followed by senility and two heart conditions. I decided that we would take a day at a time and make sure we all made the most of whatever life he had left. He has amazed us all, by first reaching his Gotcha day, then his 13th Birthday and not one, but three trips with wonderful dog obssessed people to the Cotswold view campsite. (Not to mention becoming a truckers mate and a white van dog!). He also had some love interest from Sir H, which I think he quite enjoyed. :wub:

i was so worried that he would deteriorate badly and have to go back to the vet for his final moments. This would have stressed him out because he was so scared and squealed at needles. :( In the end that decision never had to be made and his quality of life stayed to the end. Last night he sat outside in the sunshine with Cherry. They had some treats and he ate a good dinner. Later we had some cuddles. This morning Keith got up early as he has a trip to Portsmouth. Spike was gone. :mecry: :mecry: He was on his favourite bed and looked so serene that I know he didn't suffer. One day that will be a comfort, but not yet. We loved you Spike and thank you for every day we shared with you. I hope there's a nice sunny corner somewhere for you to lie in. Sleep tight sweetheart. :wub: xx

DSCF2143.jpg

:mecry: What a shock for you all, I'm so sorry :GroupHug:

I never had the pleasure of meeting Spike but I feel as though I "know" him a little through reading about him - and what a character :wub:

Marge, thinking of you, Keith and Cherry :GroupHug:

Run free Spike, you will be very much missed :wub: :wub:

I know it must have been a dreadful shock and that you must all be terribly sad today but it sounds like Spike had a lovely final day with you all Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Spike will be missed not only by yourself, Keith & Cherry but by many members of The Refuge who had the pleasure of meeting him or of getting to know him through the wonderful pictures and stories you posted. Sweet dreams Spike mecry.gif

Having met Spike on numerous occassions it was a pleasure to know this gentle old man. Having his ears washed by Sir H and Spike checking out the delicacies of the stalls at Westonbirt will always be fond memories :wub: My thoughts are with you, Keith & Cherry.

Sleep tight Spike :GroupHug:

I loved reading Spike's trucking tales and waiting to find out did he get ice cream.

He was so loved by you and he gave you his final act of kindness and love by falling asleep forever at home peacefully in his bed.

Thinking of you, Keith and Cherry :GroupHug:

Keep on trucking gorgeous Spike :wub: