UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Control Bill

zico's mum

And what about section 5 (3)?

'(3)

A court may issue a destruction order for the disposal of any dogs held prior to trial for prosecutions under section 2

of this Act if it is thought necessary to protect the dog’s welfare.

I can see this causing problems.

Edited by safneo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it includes having bitten *any* animal then I can see there being an awful lot of people with something to say.

And what about section 5 (3)?

'(3)

A court may issue a destruction order for the disposal of any dogs held prior to trial for prosecutions under section 2

of this Act if it is thought necessary to protect the dog's welfare.

I can see this causing problems.

Yes me too. We'll seize your dog, leave him/her in kennels for months to screw them up nicely and then we'll kill them before the trial.

I'd love to know whose advice they've taken on this. Did they not learn anything from the DDA.

Just rereading my post - if "No person shall.. keep a dog that has attacked a person or another animal" then that would mean they would be PTS if no-one could own such a dog?

Yes, I would interpret it that way :( Can't see any other way to. They're not talking about people having to go for court for special permission to keep the dogs are they?

It's good that they are talking about dogs overall, rather than seeming to single out certain breeds, but this sounds as though it will cause as much upset as it might resolve :(

but I would appreciate it if somoene with better connections could find out what the score is with this.

Yes, me too please :flowers:

One of mine isn't always great with other dogs but he's never hurt another one - not for the lack of out-of-control dogs charging over though :rolleyes: . I can see there being other dogs who have been under control, but have ended up having a go because another dog has run up to them, falling under this :(

Well have just 'written' to him

Dear Lord Redesdale,

Having read the first draft of the "Dog Control Order" I am appalled! I would have hoped that lessons would have been learned from the flawed legislation of the "Dangerous Dogs Act", it seems not.

I would be interested to hear who was consulted during the drafting process. It seems incredible that such a potentially lethal Act could have been drafted if proper consultation with Dog Organisations and Behaviourists had been carried out.

Section 2

No person shall—

(a)

allow a dog for which they are responsible to be aggressive or

(e)

keep a dog that has attacked a person or another animal.

Does this mean that a dog that has caught a rabbit or squirrel should be destroyed?

Section 4 Control notices

(1)

If an officer of a police force or local authority is of the opinion that a person is

failing to comply with section 2, but the dog in question has not yet been

involved in an attack, the officer may serve on the person responsible for the

dog a control notice which—

(a)

states that the officer is of that opinion;

(b)

specifies the respects in which the officer considers the person is failing

to comply with the provisions of section 2;

©

specifies the steps the officer considers need to be taken in order to

comply with the provisions;

(d)

specifies a period for the taking of those steps.

.... Are all officers and council officials going to be trained in animal behaviour? Many dogs sound 'aggressive' when they play. How do you propose to safeguard against officers/council officials who either hate dogs or are scared of them?

Sadly, if this legislation goes through in anything like its present form you will have the blood of many hundreds of dogs on your hands. Not all dogs will like each other, much as many humans do not like each other. Humans have more of a repertoire to avoid confrontation than dogs do, one fight does not make an aggressive dog. Equally, dogs that 'attack' other dogs/animals are NOT automatically going to attack a human.

I would be pleased to hear your response to this

Wonder if I will get a response :unsure:

One of mine is one that doesn't bother other dogs but if one comes up to him, while on the lead, he will react - due to previous incidents with other dogs running up and jumping on him.

Why should he be at fault when the other dog is out of control?

Scotland has its own Dog Control Order in the pipeline.

One of mine is one that doesn't bother other dogs but if one comes up to him, while on the lead, he will react - due to previous incidents with other dogs running up and jumping on him.

One of mine is like that too, although he's never hurt another dog so he wouldn't come under it - but I can see other dogs like him falling foul if they have injured another animal :(

Just been reading it again.

Will the police be seizing all the 'working' lurchers?

I wondered about that as well.

To be honest if someone 'uninitiated' saw any two or more lurchers playing together they could very easily get the wrong impression.

Sandra - I hope you get a reply.

police are already investigating working lurchers

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/lancast...aids.4774520.jp

though according to reports the rspca seized the dogs due to the conditions they were being kept in, but working lurchers is now being tackled by police since the hunting laws came in

as for the bill proposals its very like the scottish proposals for which the kc were consulted and which i vehemently oppose as i do this idea :(

It says on that link that they've seized dogs, money and a number of rabbit carcasses - I didn't think it was illegal to hunt rabbit? :unsure:

The RSPCA is working shoulder-to-shoulder with Lancashire Constabulary to fight wildlife crime in our area. This operation sends out a clear message that crimes like these will not be tolerated. Hunting wild animals is cruel and unacceptable and has no place in modern society.

Now I am a veggie and there is less chance of me hunting anything than winning the lottery jackpot, but I'm not convinced hunting is any worse a way for an animal to be killed for food than stuck on a lorry and driven to an abattoir to be slaughtered and I suspect some wild animals at least will have lived a much preferable life to a factory farmed one.

Does this proposed bill include dogs that have killed wild animals such as rabbits though? Or is it just humans and other domestic animals I wonder :unsure:

I know that both Mels and DNB have been saying for a long time that dog legislation would eventually expand to cover non bull breeds ( and not in a positive way ) but I think an awful lot of dog owners have thought "dog laws" would never impact on them or their breed x/breed

I think this is going to be a big shock to a lot of people

To be honest if someone 'uninitiated' saw any two or more lurchers playing together they could very easily get the wrong impression.

my 2 look and sound like they are killing each other and its one of the reasons we don't let them off to play in front of other people we don't know

It says on that link that they've seized dogs, money and a number of rabbit carcasses - I didn't think it was illegal to hunt rabbit? :unsure:

Now I am a veggie and there is less chance of me hunting anything than winning the lottery jackpot, but I'm not convinced hunting is any worse a way for an animal to be killed for food than stuck on a lorry and driven to an abattoir to be slaughtered and I suspect some wild animals at least will have lived a much preferable life to a factory farmed one.

Does this proposed bill include dogs that have killed wild animals such as rabbits though? Or is it just humans and other domestic animals I wonder :unsure:

The hare coursing they mentioned would be illegal but I *think* hunting rabbits and rats is one of the legal exemptions to the Hunting Act 2004, so long as you are the landowner or have thier permission.

I'm with you on this Ange. I have no problem with people hunting for small food amounts - whether its shooting or with dogs. I don't accept snares as an acceptable tool, but otherwise people I know round here who do this are interested in a quick clean kill and straight in the pot for dinner.

The proposed bill is so woolly at this stage it could cover any type of animal, domestic or wild. We'll have to see how it progresses to understand their intention.