UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Control Bill

zico's mum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2 look and sound like they are killing each other and its one of the reasons we don't let them off to play in front of other people we don't know

I think that is very sad, but sadly very sensible of you :mecry: . We met up with a load of lurchers (5 I think) recently and anyone would have thought Dylan was on a hiding to being eaten alive, but he was very happy to let his lurcheryness loose and gave as good as he got.

I hope this finds a wide audience early enough so that people can influence its course.

I know that both Mels and DNB have been saying for a long time that dog legislation would eventually expand to cover non bull breeds ( and not in a positive way ) but I think an awful lot of dog owners have thought "dog laws" would never impact on them or their breed x/breed

What legislation is there that specifically targets bull breeds only? :flowers: The Dangerous Dogs Act applies to all dogs as it is.

(sorry - I know this is currently what "type" dogs are up against and I don't mean to dismiss that problem but this seems to be any dog).

Sorry to quote you Buddyboy [and I know you're not dismissing it] but yes, section 1 dogs have been up against this sort of ridiculous shite for years. Barely anyone cares tho [not on here, I mean in the grand scheme of things]

Maybe, just maybe, this will cause enough of a furore to make ALL dog owners sit up and shout up that NO it isnt bloody fair, just as Section 1 isnt bloody fair.

What legislation is there that specifically targets bull breeds only? :flowers: The Dangerous Dogs Act applies to all dogs as it is.

I think Sam means section 1 of the Act Rudi. 4 breeds rather than just bull breeds.

jeez if they go with every dog that's ever bitten or shown aggression of any sort, that'll be an awful lot of rescue dogs banned..how many of them start out life nervous timid wrecks but come round with a bit of time and patience? does this bill mean we'll have to write them off without even trying if it goes through as it is?..some of the big organisations must be watching this..

I think they are Rudi.

Just had an email from someone high up in the RSPCA saying the bill "looks good" whether or not thats an official line I don't know yet but will ask.

That's really worrying then :(

If the Dangerous Dogs Act and its amendment are repealed by this order - does that mean the four banned breeds would no longer be banned?

Edited by Rudi

I just found the info below, it's made me feel slightly more optimistic and I'm wondering if the extremes that the order has gone to are just to stimulate debate??? When are the government going to target the a******* selling dogs to people who shouldn't have them, gather up all the stupid kids fighting their dogs on the streets and leave the rest of us to enjoy our well-mannered gentle dogs whatever their breed. These laws are useless until they tackle breeding.

What is a Private Members' Bill?

Resource type: Practice note

Private Members' Bills are Public Bills introduced by MPs and Lords who are not government ministers. These should not be confused with Private Bills, which are Bills promoted by organisations outside of Parliament (such as local authorities or companies) to obtain powers for themselves in excess of, or in conflict with, the general law.

Very few Private Members' Bills ever become law. They are usually used by backbenchers and the opposition to force a particular issue to be debated in Parliament or to force the Government to change the law or its policy.

In order for a Private Members' Bill to receive Royal Assent and become law, it must pass through the same stages in the House of Commons and the House of Lords as a Bill introduced by the Government.

For an example of Private Members' Bills, see Legal update, Private Members' Bills on Merton-plus rule and procurement of green buildings (http://environment.practicallaw.com/1-382-1076).

Maybe, just maybe, this will cause enough of a furore to make ALL dog owners sit up and shout up that NO it isnt bloody fair, just as Section 1 isnt bloody fair.

Yes, much as I don't like some of the wording, I did think the same thing, that this might be something to unite all decent dog owners rather than have some just thinking they're ok while it doesn't affect them.

Some of the wording however just makes me think that yet again it will be the responsible dog owners - that may have dogs with problems, but keep the dogs under control - who may end up suffering while others let their dogs run amok and never come to any bother, legally. I appreciate it's early days though and maybe as said it will spark debate and bring positive changes. Let's hope.

The hare coursing they mentioned would be illegal but I *think* hunting rabbits and rats is one of the legal exemptions to the Hunting Act 2004, so long as you are the landowner or have thier permission.

Yes it is an exemption

Rabbits

4The hunting of rabbits is exempt if it takes place on land—

(a)which belongs to the hunter, or

(b)which he has been given permission to use for the purpose by the occupier or, in the case of unoccupied land, by a person to whom it belongs.

bill has been draw up with DDASG includes representation from: Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, Blue Cross, BVA, Dogs Trust, the Kennel Club, the Metropolitan Police, RCVS, RSPCA, Wandsworth Borough Council and Wood Green Animal Shelter

i think this has been put out knowing it wont be passed as they have to start somewhere.......albeit they have started at a crap place as it doesnt stand up at all............but its a start to say what we want and what we dont want! I do want there to be strong powers in place to go against those who are using dogs for fighting and using them as weapons in attacking people...... but needs to be a balance with general dog ownersd being able to have their controlled dogs.