UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Control Bill

zico's mum

Dog Control Bill It was presented to Lords last week apparently.Just seen this elsewhere and I am appalled by this Bill.There is so much in there that is open to interpretation - obviously being a Terrier owner I am deeply concerned at this:

No person shall...

e) keep a dog that has attacked a person or another animal

If that includes rabbits and rats then I would not be allowed to keep my dogs if I'm reading this right.If this goes ahead I can honestly see the day coming when all dogs will need to be kept on lead in public - and I will never have another dog if that happens.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is worrying. Does that mean a dog could be removed from their owner over a tussle in the local park that doesn't even draw blood - it still could be classed as an attack. A huge percentage of dogs in the UK would have to be removed from their owners. Whilst it's not acceptable for dogs to be allowed to attack other dogs and animals, it does of course happen and it doesn't make a dog 'aggressive'. Many dogs would fight with another dog and it's a pretty normal, if undesireable, part of their repetoire.

I've only had a quick glance at it - enough to tell me I need to make time to read it properly.... am I imagining it or does it state that if "an officer" THINKS a dog may have a fight even if there is no evidence of fighting, temperament or anything to base the idea on, then action can be taken (sorry - I know this is currently what "type" dogs are up against and I don;t mean to dismiss that problem but this seems to be any dog).

Edited by buddyboy

:ohmy: Good grief!!!!! That is NOT good!

No mention of an officer being trained to understand dog behaviour or anything!!!! What if your local bobbie hates a particular breed?

As for the 'attack/bitten' another animal?! Cats had better worry then in case they add them for catching birds etc :glare: Ridiculous analogy? maybe not :mad:

All it needs is for "An Officer" to see my 2 thugs doing their Sumo on the beach - lots of noise, snarling and barging but bestest friends brothers letting off steam really.

And yet the same person could see little old Toastie charging after a husky or a collie and think "how sweet" while failing to realise that he for some reason hates them with a vengance and has been known to come away with a tuft of hair in his gummy mouth.

Edited by buddyboy

:ohmy: Good grief!!!!! That is NOT good!

No mention of an officer being trained to understand dog behaviour or anything!!!! What if your local bobbie hates a particular breed?

Or just hates dogs in general? :(

Better keep Neo indoors then as he is likely to 'shout' at anyone that gets to close and it wont matter that he is on lead and muzzled! :(

It only applies (at the moment) to England and Wales. Scotland seems to be more sensible and if this comes in, I shall seriously consider giving in to a lifelong dream to move up there. Koda caught and killed a myxi rabbit at the weekend, it was so quick I didn't have time to stop him and I doubt he'd have caught the rabbit had it not been blind, I found it upsetting but I don't for a minute think he's out of control or aggressive :(