UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just got back from picking up our ex-bats and have buried a dead chick :sad02: An Aracauna had pipped this morning but hadn't made any progress. I checked them all over when I topped up the water and saw it wasn't moving in it's shell so I got it out of the incubator and it's dead. Such a shame to get all that way and then die at the final hurdle. There are a few pipped in there but still no news from the Houdans. Will candle them later when it's dark to fiind out what they're up to.

Three ex-bats are now safely installed in Tikka Mansion. They're all wide eyed in amazement at their new surroundings. Pics to follow tomorrow :biggrin:

The other Aracauna has hatched :pinkie:

I think one of the Orps has spraddle legs. If it's still doing the splits in the morning it'll be sporting a plaster on it's legs for a few days.

The weak Dorking is still in the incubator. It's a boy :wub: If it survives it looks as if I've got two girl and two boy Dorkings :biggrin:

Still no sign of the Houdans :unsure:

Blimey can you tell what sex they are already, is it little fiver who is weak :wub: willing him on.

Yep with the Dorkings you can because boy chicks are lighter than girls. I wasn't sure about yesterdays two, they were pretty much the same colour so I knew they were the same sex but once one of todays ones dried off it was clear that one was much lighter so yesterdays early risers must be little girls :wub:

The poorly one is little fiver :wub: He's not got much energy at all and is very weak, still can't stand up properly :sad02:

A splash Poland hatched late last night just before I went to bed. This morning I've had to cull it :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: Poor little thing was so pretty but didn't know which way was up. It's head was thrown backwards and resting on it's back, it fell onto it's back all the time and when I helped it upright it just went in circles before landing on it's back again. It wouldn't have been able to eat or drink so I had no choice :mecry:

I'm very concerned about the Orp that hatched this morning and the weak Dorking from yesterday doesn't look right either.

The good news is that all the others that hatched are in the brooder, eating, drinking, pooping and doing very well.

This has been my worst hatch ever and is enough to put me off for life. I just have to keep reminding myself there are some very happy little chicks in my brooder this morning.

A splash Poland hatched late last night just before I went to bed. This morning I've had to cull it :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: Poor little thing was so pretty but didn't know which way was up. It's head was thrown backwards and resting on it's back, it fell onto it's back all the time and when I helped it upright it just went in circles before landing on it's back again. It wouldn't have been able to eat or drink so I had no choice :mecry:

I'm very concerned about the Orp that hatched this morning and the weak Dorking from yesterday doesn't look right either.

The good news is that all the others that hatched are in the brooder, eating, drinking, pooping and doing very well.

This has been my worst hatch ever and is enough to put me off for life. I just have to keep reminding myself there are some very happy little chicks in my brooder this morning.

The " swimmer " is the result of something wrong in the hatcher. It can be temperature ,humidity. Its easily solved but you do need to find the problem before you start again.

I'm not starting again, I'd already decided to sell the incubator anyway because I need the money for a shed for the Orps & Brahmas. I've spent a small fortune on eggs this year and I probably would've spent less if I bought the chicks as day olds. It's hard work, it's stressful and although I've enjoyed seeing the healthy ones hatch I really don't want to have to do this again. It looks as if I'll have to cull the poorly two today and I really don't want to but I can't allow them to suffer.

I've already arranged to buy some Silkie chicks from my breeder friend this week. The girls from those, along with Emilys Silkie Tiger Lily, can be our broodies and I'll let them hatch some chicks next year. They can't do a worse job than me.

These are my reasons to be cheerful..........

A bowl of black Orps & lavender Aracaunas :wub:

DSC03930.jpg

A bowl of silver grey Dorkings :wub:

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03935.jpg

I need help sexing one of those, one is definitely a girl, much darker head, one is lighter so therefore a boy, the other one is neither light or dark and is confusing me :laugh:

An Orp checking out the blue Polands bum!

DSC03939.jpg

The ickle tiny Poland having a hug with friends

DSC03938.jpg

Lav Aras

DSC03940.jpg

And some group photos, minus one or two that were being cuddled by Georgia who is delighted with them:

DSC03942.jpg

DSC03944.jpg

And while I'm at it, Tiger Lily and her baby Brahmas who are 10 days old today!

DSC03892.jpg

DSC03884.jpg