UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

I'll never tire of eating my own eggs. Jude at Cotswold Chickens told me to collect a still warm just popped out egg and put it in a little muslin cloth with some dried herbs in an airing cupboard for a few days. Because the shell is porous it kind of inhales the herby smell and when you cook the egg it tastes herby! Not tried that yet but keep meaning too. It has to be done with a warm egg though.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOD !!!!!...................that is just the cutest ickle wee thing ever.........even cuter than kittens :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: ..........and looooook, it has little Yeti boots on.......bless :wub:

Lovin' TL's bouffant hair do :laugh: , hey !.....you could get some bright pink veg dye, and give her streaks :unsure:

Phew! That was a nerve wracking night! When Tiger Lily arrived yesterday we had to switch coops around so she could have the ones that my chicks (who are not really chicks anymore but it's easier for identification purposes!) had been living in. Chickentikka Mansion wasn't suitable for her because her chicks could commit suicide leaping off the ramp. And that's also too small for ten chicks so the only option was to bite the bullet and make the big chicks sleep in the same massive coop as my ladies. This involved me and Molly standing out in the rain for 40 minutes last night supervising bed time :rolleyes: And little Hercules evading capture for a long time!

There was much screeching going on but we left them to it and prayed no blood was shed. I got up early this morning to let them out and all was well :biggrin: I just hope that tonight they all manage to put themselves to bed because I'm at work until 9.30pm. They'd be free ranging together since Sunday but it still must've been a shock to them all.

Chickentikka Mansion is still available now for the ex-batts :biggrin:

Tiger Lily & her chicks seem ok this morning. I've got her up to eat and drink but as yet she hasn't pooped anywhere. I hope she has the good sense to not do it on her nest! Emily was up early to see her too :wub: Graham, her previous owner, says she'll probably go broody again in a few months. We weren't going to hatch any more chicks this year but Emily has asked if she can put some Silkie eggs under her. Well it'd be silly to upset Tiger Lily if she's really determined :rolleyes:

Chickentikka Mansion is still available now for the ex-batts :biggrin:

We weren't going to hatch any more chicks this year but Emily has asked if she can put some Silkie eggs under her. Well it'd be silly to upset Tiger Lily if she's really determined :rolleyes:

And how does Mr Bejo feel about all these planned new additions??? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

He actually really enjoys the chickens. He's a bit crap in that he doesn't know them by their names but he's very good at making sure they're all fed, watered and happy while I'm at work. Today he's done well looking after Tiger Lily and been keeping a really good eye on her. He joins in with the 'is it a boy or a girl' discussions regarding the chicks and we're currently in disagreement over one in particular :laugh: I know he thinks we have too many but he's never said no I can't have more :biggrin: We're both looking forward to being able to eat our own birds, even if it's taking a long time. I don't think Paxo is a boy so we're having to wait a bit longer for the Light Sussex boy (will make a nice roast) and the Leghorn lads (soup we think because they're weedy).

My hens are now officially free !!!!!!! Good ol' Ed put up the willow trellis on the side gate so there were no escapees, I opened the pen door and out they trotted :wub: they've had a very exciting time, dust bathing under the laurel, looking at the stream, having their bums sniffed by Spud, supervising me while I dug up some weeds, pecking my friends bum. At least now I won't need to clean out their pen every night. Even more amazing than them not being eaten by a pair of curious Staffies is that they all came back in the pen when I whistled :wub: ............I luvs me chooks :wub:

Awwww I bet they had the time of their lives :wub: More pics please :biggrin:

Mine are not getting the hang of their new bedtime regime :rolleyes: Some are going in with the big girls, others have other ideas :wacko: Tonight from the roof of the coop I rescued one of the LS girls, the LS boy, a Leghorn boy, Robin, Egeltine and a hysterical Paxo :rolleyes:

My hens are now officially free !!!!!!! Good ol' Ed put up the willow trellis on the side gate so there were no escapees, I opened the pen door and out they trotted :wub: they've had a very exciting time, dust bathing under the laurel, looking at the stream, having their bums sniffed by Spud, supervising me while I dug up some weeds, pecking my friends bum. At least now I won't need to clean out their pen every night. Even more amazing than them not being eaten by a pair of curious Staffies is that they all came back in the pen when I whistled :wub: ............I luvs me chooks :wub:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that is fantastic, both the fact they come to a whistle and the fact that the dogs left them alone (well done doggies)

i am very jealous of you all with your hens!!!