UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

My Violet is my noisiest bird :laugh:

I just candled the ones I'm unsure about and hoiked out another four, so I'm 12 down so far. I didn't bother candling the Polands, Houdans & Dorkings because they were all ok the last time. One little black Orp was moving around :wub: I'm sure that'll be the only one though :rolleyes: I removed the definite blood ringed ones but there are still some I'm not sure of so they've stayed in. Fingers crossed I get around 20 chicks. I would've like more but such is life :rolleyes:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: ........nice but dim :laugh:

Mine put themselves to bed tonight :wub:

Mind, I did have them up at 6.30 :rolleyes: which they felt was far to early, and remained firmly in the coop, I peeked in and they were all perching with their wee heads all snugged into themselves :wub: . They were lucky, I had woken up at 5.30 and had to make myself stay in bed :rolleyes:

I have a few more names too, the Speckled Sussex, who's at the front of the group shot is called Caroline, after my friend, they are both wee and clever.

The big Light Sussex is now Kelly, after my friend ( Griff on here) both big gobby birds :D

So there's one (small Maran) that I need a name for, toying with either Kirsty ( niece who lives in America) or Violet, just because I quite like the name.

Thanks Jane :) :) i am dead chuffed having a hen named after me :) :)

After handling them a good bit today none of them are speaking to me except lovely Caroline, she either doesn't hold a grudge or is too dim to remember I'd just Frontlined em' clipped their wings and de-loused them :rolleyes:

Kelly is the heaviest of them, she weighed a ton :wacko:

Poor Cackypants got the worst of it, she had keek on her breeks, I tried to soak it off but it was like cement, so she had to have a feather cut, then I was worried the others might peck her bum, so she got a squirt of purple spray, so she's now called, Cackypants Purplebutt :laugh: , then to add insult to injury, she decided to make a break for it just as she was getting her legs and feet washed and ended up with a soaking under carriage, poor Cacky.

All ten!

DSC03772.jpg

Freya and her funky hair-do

DSC03743.jpg

I can't remember if this is Tallulah or Eliza :biglaugh:

DSC03754.jpg

Tallulah & her evil twin Eliza :laugh: I can tell them apart in the flesh, but not in photos unless I can see their necks.

DSC03767.jpg

Beautiful Valerie & Pancake

DSC03765.jpg

Lard Arse Juliet

DSC03771.jpg

Little Hercules the Leghorn boy. He loved posing for the camera. He thinks he's the sexiest man on earth :laugh:

DSC03786.jpg

Lily Pie

DSC03785.jpg

One of the Light Sussex girls next to Stuart Little

DSC03798.jpg

Forrest Gump, the LS boy

DSC03807.jpg

Pretty Poppy

DSC03799.jpg

Egeltine

DSC03801.jpg

Robin

DSC03809.jpg

Paxo, still can't decide if it's a girl or a boy :rolleyes:

DSC03811.jpg

Big Chicks & Little Chicks having an afternoon nap in the shade on their run :wub:

DSC03803.jpg

All ten!

DSC03772.jpg

Despite you saying "all ten", I still counted them :rolleyes: :laugh:

Little Hercules the Leghorn boy. He loved posing for the camera. He thinks he's the sexiest man on earth :laugh:

DSC03786.jpg

Fair shouts, because he probably is :wub:

Robin

DSC03809.jpg

Not looking so runty these days :ohmy: :wub:

Loving the name Cackypants :laugh:

Poppy is gorgeous :wub:

Do you always provide deck chairs for your hens Cheryl ? :laugh: .........I can just imagine them sunning themselves with a G&T :laugh:

Cackypant Purplebutt will be keeping her name despite my friend who helped me yesterday phoning to say I had to change her name to Honey :wacko: ...........nooooooooo.

OMG OMG OMG!!! My new Silkies chicks are due on Thursday and her owner says if I want to I can take her and all the chicks free of charge so that he has more space for another broody he's got. They're Brahma eggs she's sat on! If I do get her chicks aswell then I'm going to have to do a bit of re-arranging of coops..........

What a lovely surprise!

Well - I'm sitting here having palpitations!!!

Filled up the layers pellets, fighting off the dogs as I did. Opened the gate into the run and fought off the chickens who decided they had not been fed for years (even tho the container was actually 1/4 full when I took it out to fill). Suddenly lots of commotion and squawking - Madame Cora had decided to go exploring and had gone behind me out through the gate as I turned to shut it. She was by the oak fish barrel surrounded by Jed, Bo and Toastie.... luckily China had not seen! Next thing is Jed (dad = pointer = gundog) picked her up!!!! I shrieked at him - goodness knows why as he is deaf - and leaped back through the gate fighting off the other 3 birds who were not in the least concerned about Cora but were very worried their food bowl was disappearing again! Managed to get Jed's attention and make him drop Cora (goodness knows how, it doesn't work when he gets a tennis ball and he had to be wrestled to the ground to get the ball back when he did flyball) only for her to shoot off down the garden - naturally persued by the male dogs. Again luckily it was Jed who caught up with her, Bo stopped when I shouted, Toastie's running is not really much, and Jed turned to me as if he was in disgrace. Cora then raced back up the garden to the run, trying to get in the gate but managing to wedge herself behind the food bowl. Managed to get her out and throw her through the gate where she is currently strutting round telling the others about her big adventure. I have had to make a big fuss of Jed and reassure him he is not in disgrace, after all he did what gun dogs do and retrieved her without hurting her - but he and Bo amazed me!!! Jed for letting go of her, Bo for doing what I said and ignoring a fluttering squawking bird in his brother's mouth - especially as those 2 play tug games all the time. Thank goodness China was completely oblivious to the whole thing until the end when I threw Cora back into the run.

So either Cora is now Top Chick after her adventure, or she will realise what happened and drop dead later on!

Chuffin eck' BB.............I think I'd have to go and lie down in a darked room with a stiff drink after that :wacko: ..............lucky Cora is all I can say.

Cheryl your a jammy so and so :laugh: , so you'l be getting Silkies and Brahma's ?..............not much diffrence, how ever will you tell them apart :laugh:. I'd looked at getting Brahmas, but with their hairy legs they would have had a miserable time in our Scottish weather.

Lucky Cora! What a tale she's got to tell!

If I am lucky enough to have Brahma chicks it's unlikely I'd keep any of them because of their feet. Silkie feet aren't as feathery so I'd hope I could cope with one of those in our muddy garden of a winter. Brahmas is probably pushing it a bit too far but we'll see. Look at this handsome chap I found on Feathersite. He looks like a man standing up wearing feathered trousers :laugh:

BluePartrBrahTrio.JPEG

I candle eggs using the light on my phone. I have just discovered that if I shove my phone down my bra, pull my cardi over my head and shove eggs up my t-shirt I can candle during daylight hours :biglaugh: :biglaugh: I've just seen Poland and Houdan chicks waving at me :wub: