UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Introducing The Most Gorgeous Kittens Ever.

phoebejo

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done puppies so I've nothing to compare it to but from my knowledge of kittens there seems to be two danger periods. The first is around 7-10 days old. I believe most cases of fading kitten syndrome are caused by an infection contracted from the mother, and in my experience this has an incubation period of about a week. I've lost them at 7 and 8 days for no apparent reason, they just get weaker and weaker.

The other is when they get weaned onto solid food. Problems internally seem to appear then. They seem to have done fine on milk but when you ask their little bodies to move onto the next step they fall to pieces because they're just not strong enough to do any more. I notice this about four weeks.

I've lost kittens at five weeks and seven weeks so I can't afford to be complacent for a long time. It's soooooooo hard knowing I'm putting all this effort in and they still might not make it anyway. I know it sounds callous but I don't mind losing them at the start (well I do but you know what I mean), losing them at five weeks and onwards is a killer :mecry: By that time I know them so well, they're part of the family. And they don't die suddenly, in each case I've been battling with them for days or even weeks.

I still miss those I lost late. Dora at seven weeks was buried in the garden and I hated moving house and leaving her behind. Artemise (5 weeks) and Chelsea (almost 8 weeks) were cremated and will always be with me. I think my vet Mike shed as many tears as I did over Chelsea because he'd been treating her for so long. She finally died from Feline Infectious Peritonitis which she would've contracted from her mother. I'd had her since she was a week old so learning that she was doomed from the start was very very tough indeed. I'm glad she had almost eight weeks of life, she was almost pts at a week old after being attacked by her family dog. She suffered a fair bit at the beginning and end but on the whole she enjoyed her time here. Seven weeks of love and being waited on hand and foot is better than no life at all :mecry:

I want them all :wub:, but I really need a house...and I loooooooooooove black or black and white cats....both my boys are big black cats....it never occured to me that people wouldn't want black cats....but for some reason it doesn't surprise people I meet when they find out I have two black cats...I don't know what vibes I give off!!

They are absolutely gorgeous, you are doing a fantastic job. :flowers: I know how hard it is too as we hand-reared 3 kittens from 2 1/2 weeks old. All made it, although 2 got serious colic, we kept them all and they all lived to ripe ages, but the loldest was 19! Look forward to more photos, please.

My babies, on what I guess is about day 11 for them :wub:

Spud with Egg in the basket:

DSC01046.jpg

Possibly Egg:

DSC01045.jpg

Jelly sprinting milkwards:

DSC01040.jpg

Jelly upending one of her brothers :laugh:

DSC01042.jpg

She's tiny :wub:

DSC01036.jpg

And has a moustache which makes it look like she's got milky chops :wub:

DSC01027.jpg

Egg (left) and Spam:

DSC01033.jpg

Dunno :rolleyes:

DSC01034.jpg

A pile of boys:

DSC01031.jpg

Egg:

DSC01028.jpg

I'm hoping for exploderous bums from them all. They've been constipated for two days so had some olive oil in their milk this afternoon. Failing that they're off to the vets tomorrow for some lactulose.

I am soooooooooooooo tired and long for a decent nights kip :sad02: