UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Martin Clunes: A Man And His Dogs

dirtychicken

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a cat that was a great rat catcher. She used to corner them and they screamed like banshees befor they were touched. I think they scream in defence, death was very quick and painless and I think it was the same with the JRT's. Death was very quick with them as well

Barbara

I'm not disputing that the JRTs were doing what they were bred for or that it is better than poison. I just don't think it was necessary to show it in that detail. Even from a distance would have been fine but a close up of a rat in the dogs mouth screaming was a step too far.

agree...its the only part I felt uneccessary, especially as my 2 iccle ratties were watching :laugh:

but I LOVED it, just said to my hubby, could watch it all day everyday, serioulsy, had a smile on my face all the way through, how intersting and entertaining to watch, and Martin Clunes just LOVED them, couldn't you just feel it from him??

BRILLIANT!!! :biggrin:

but I LOVED it, just said to my hubby, could watch it all day everyday, serioulsy, had a smile on my face all the way through, how intersting and entertaining to watch, and Martin Clunes just LOVED them, couldn't you just feel it from him??

It was fab wasn't it and I know what you mean about watching it over and over. I hope there's a DVD coming out - and I shall buy his book too :biggrin:

M-M and I NEED to meet Arthur :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm not disputing that the JRTs were doing what they were bred for or that it is better than poison. I just don't think it was necessary to show it in that detail. Even from a distance would have been fine but a close up of a rat in the dogs mouth screaming was a step too far.

My thoughts exactly. If they needed to show what different breeds do - there were plenty others to choose from.

Apparently the producers approached Martin Clunes and commissioned this programme especially for him because when meeting folk on the Doc Martin set he always made a beeline for their dogs. He is absolutely besotted by them. :wub:

When we met him on the Heath - he came over and said how thoughtful we were to have water for any dog that wanted it and to keep it in the shade. He said he had seen people with water for their own dogs only leave the bowl out in the hot sun - idiots, Ray had two quart bottles and we had ice cubes- we chatted about dogs for a while. The dog he had at the time was a rescue.

I don't have a problem with dogs killing rats at all, Akita used to do that on the farm in DK. I think sometimes "city-folk" don't really appreciate what a pest they are, and how hard they are to get rid of!

Agreed. When we had a plague of rats in our garden I wished my dogs would have done the same but all they did was sniff along the rat run by the fence - even my little mongrel that will usually try to kill anything cat/rabbit/squirrel sized. Same with my lurcher. Maybe rats were beneath contempt to them. Not worth the bother. We didn't have our JRT at the time.

I can't see the point of broadcasting a sanitised version when the point was to show how closely some of our dogs' behaviour is to that of wolves. Dogs are predatory (some dogs more than others) - predators kill, and there is something impressive about seeing just how efficiently they do it.

Pam

Loved the programme and thought the rat killing was spot on as it was accompanied by the explanation that this is what Terriers were bred to do and that instinct is still very strong in most of them,especially the Yorkie who was bred specifically to kill rats in the cotton mills and coal pits.Time and time again I have met Terrier owners totally oblivious to that fact who have been appalled their little darling has killed and some have been rehomed,some subsequently spend the rest of their lives on lead so it doesn't happen again.Mine have killed rats,it's fast and over in seconds,I don't encourage it but am not going to have hysterics over it.If it encourages just one potential Terrier owner to do some homework before getting one it was worth it for that alone in my opinion.

Edited by zico's mum

I was working :mecry: Does anyone know if it will be repeated?

ETA None of the clients had it on, so I didn't even get little glimpses. :mecry: :mad:

I missed it too, but it's being repeated next Sunday at 16:00, I'll make sure I record it this time!

The second part about breeding looks really interesting, especially coming close after the BBC programme.

Does anyone happen to know more about Sean Ellis the wolf guy ? I've googled him but not really found much, I seem to remember something about him doing a lot for wolf conservation but I was just wondering what his reason is for living with the wolves he has.