UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Martin Clunes: A Man And His Dogs

dirtychicken

Next Sunday, same time I think :flowers: He also has a book coming out next month about the series :biggrin: (it's on Amazon).

I didn't particuarly like the terriers killing the rats but I consider it a much better method than using rat poison which must cause a slow, painful death in comparison.

I am still in love with Arthur.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it! I don't have a problem with dogs killing rats at all, Akita used to do that on the farm in DK. I think sometimes "city-folk" don't really appreciate what a pest they are, and how hard they are to get rid of!

The man obviously LOVES dogs, it was beaming from his face every minute of that show :biggrin:

I quite loved the Dingos :wub:

I think I love Martin Clunes :wub:

My thoughts precisely :wub:

I didn't particuarly like the terriers killing the rats but I consider it a much better method than using rat poison which must cause a slow, painful death in comparison.

That was exactly what my kids said. I thought it would be difficult to watch that bit after seeing the "what's coming after the break bit" but I still found it fascinating. It's nature, innit :shrug: unlike rat poison which can have horrible consequences :(

I can't wait until next Sunday now :biggrin:

NB. ITV appear to have a "catch up" bit online but I'm not sure if everything shows up on there. It might be worth keeping an eye out for it or whether somebody will stick it on Youtube :flowers:

I thought it was very enjoyable, it was just so nice to see someone who clearly loved dogs in all their forms, Martin Clunes is just such a nice bloke. I thought it was really interesting how the Dingo that howled at the piano seemed to be very restricted, which, to be fair, may have just been for the camera crews benifit, but the Dingo owned by the Aboriginals didn't even have a collar on and seemed much more of a pet, where as Martin was warned not to look at the other one in the eyes.

I really enjoyed this apart from the rat killing bit. I don't think it's any secret that I don't think lethal methods of "pest" control are of any benefit anyway but regardless of your views on that I didn't see any reason to show something so graphic and upsetting. If a programme showed dogs being killed and screaming in pain there'd be uproar, I don't see why it should be any less wrong because it's a rat :(

I loved the Dingos, they were stunning :wub: but especially the baby Dingo :wub: and the one with the Aborigines which was so soppy :wub: Loved the Aborigines' attitude to the Dingos too :wub:

Normally I can't watch anything being killed cos I'm a wuss, but I have to say it didn't really bother me seeing the rats. It was very quick and I believe that it wasn't done gratuitously but to demonstrate the nature of the terriers. Much better option than rat poison too.

"Wednesday 17th September 7.30pm

MARTIN CLUNES

One of our best known actors, currently appearing in the hit TV series Doc Martin, talks about the new book based on his ITV documentary A Dog’s Life – revealing his love affair with dogs and his journey around the world to learn more about them and their unique relationship with us humans. This is a charity event for the Chiltern Dog Rescue Centre and there will be a special guest appearance by our shop dog Miss Ellie.

Broxbourne Civic Hall, High Street, Hoddesdon

Tickets: £12 and £10 from Box Office: 01992 441946 "

Edited by Jazz

My 99% wolf is still asleep on my bed. Lovely programme. I have never liked Martin Clunes before but have changed my mind after seeing how much he loved his dogs. The JRT were only doing what they had been bred for and it's a much better way than poison. Hope the next programme is as good.

Barbara

I'm not disputing that the JRTs were doing what they were bred for or that it is better than poison. I just don't think it was necessary to show it in that detail. Even from a distance would have been fine but a close up of a rat in the dogs mouth screaming was a step too far.