UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poor Harry

Julie C

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each time I see a photo of Harry, I think he's just such a lovely looking little boy. I'm sorry he's feeling poorly and really hope he gets better soon.

I just looked up wheat allergies in dogs and apparently it can cause stomach upsets but most commonly skin irritation. I'd say the pasta might be the culprit.

Poor little soul - it certainly looks like an allergy. My big girl Minke had a really big flare up a couple of weeks ago, her eyes looked similar to Harry's, her girly bits were red and sore, she had a rash on her legs and belly and bad ears. The vet thinks it could have been fox mange. Thankfully it all went down pretty quickly with treatment but she's still on the tablets for another week or so.

Hope Harry is soon all bump and itch free :wub:

Has he rolled in/run through any vegetation recently Julie? if its nothing in the house, it must be something outside! I know our late GSD once came up very much like that, his poor eyes and nose were all pink and swollen, but we never did get to the bottom of what caused it. We made sure we had a good supply of Piriton in the house, but it never happened again.

I have had two dogs whose heads have swollen to twice their size.

One was after he stuck his head in a spray of rape. A stray plant had flowered where we walked, and he just had to investigate what is was.

After that I kept him away from any field with rape growing in them.

The other was caused by eating a pear core.

Both swelled up within hours.

How is he today?

Thank you for asking. He seems a lot brighter today. The other eye swelled yesterday afternoon and we sat and watched as bumps appeared on his head and inside his back legs. He didn't sleep well as he couldn't lay still without scratching and his balls were really sore. He is still scraching but not as bad and most of the lumps have gone down. We still don't really know what caused it but will keep him away from puddles and pasta and see how he goes. Will get some piriton in ready just incase theres a next time. :flowers:

Cucumber is something that a few humans are extremely allergic to. If he hasn't had it before, I'd put it forward as prime suspect. Unless he has been in contact with an external pollutant e.g. stuck his head din a puddle with something nasty in it.

Poor Harry, glad that he is doing a little better now :GroupHug:

I think sometimes reactions happen and we're never quite sure why, I've had a couple of times in the past where I developed a rash over my entire body and one of the dogs has had her face swell up a few times, and I don't know for sure what has caused any of it.