UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Organ Donation

Annie

Absolutely not :flowers: But it's something that matters to me - do I not have the right to consider such things (which are important to me) when making my decision?

Of course you have, but I think then it should be choice simply between donating or NOT donating - with the knowledge that your organs may go to someone who's life choices you don't agree with :flowers: That's the way I went anyway.

If not, where do you stop? I might not like 'ginger' people (I do btw, purely theoretical) and request my organs go to 'gingas' :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you have, but I think then it should be choice simply between donating or NOT donating - with the knowledge that your organs may go to someone who's life choices you don't agree with :flowers: That's the way I went anyway.

If not, where do you stop? I might not like 'ginger' people (I do btw, purely theoretical) and request my organs go to 'gingas' :)

I know, I've just rambled on at OH with all the possible yays and nays various people could have, and exactly as you've said, 'where would it end?' but I've always thought this way. The decision would be related to me alone, not anyone else ie. Ceri.

I also have an issue with waiting for someone to die (which is how I think I would feel) in order to save my life if I needed a transplant but I would also desperately want to live if Ceri still needed me. I'm still undecided as yet, I find it an extremely difficult subject for other reasons too which I won't ramble on about.

I am happy for any part of my body to be used to help anyone in any way be that organ donation or for research/training purposes

I won't be needing it when I have shuffled off the mortal coil and if my friendly monks are right and I get reincarnated then I am going to get a brand new body ( although what shape and species depends on my karma :biglaugh: )

I know, I've just rambled on at OH with all the possible yays and nays various people could have, and exactly as you've said, 'where would it end?' but I've always thought this way. The decision would be related to me alone, not anyone else ie. Ceri.

I also have an issue with waiting for someone to die (which is how I think I would feel) in order to save my life if I needed a transplant but I would also desperately want to live if Ceri still needed me. I'm still undecided as yet, I find it an extremely difficult subject for other reasons too which I won't ramble on about.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, as I too struggle with the 'issues'. It's a very complex area for me for various reasons...........I'm not sure I would ever accept a transplant even if I needed one either.

I am on the register, my partner has a transplant which is doing well after 10 years.

However, I would under no circumstances agree to receive one and feel I don't have to justify that decision.

If the donor system becomes opt-out, there would be less dependence on live organ donation which is a minefield of complex issues.

They can have anything they want from me, if there's owt left after Thursday :laughingsmiley:

I didn't think I'd be allowed to, as I cant give blood I dont think, but apparently it's only those with HIV or risk of CJD that they refuse, everyone else is judged by a doctor with their patient history.

I signed up, thanks for the link. I think I'm already on it, but it was years ago when I lived somewhere else, and I've lost my card, and it says if you're already on there they'll just update your details for you.

AFAIAC, when you're dead, you're dead, it's just wasted meat. Hell, they could eat me if they wanted!

People's views on who the donated organ should go to do make a difference.Ex OH and I had a blazing row (one of many on this and similar subjects) as he refused point blank to be a donor incase his organs went to a non-white person :mad:

Very different from your view/feelings Wendy but I think individuals are entitled to validate their feelings like this even if we don't understand where some of the are coming from (by that I think many more of us may understand your view Wendy than that of tosspot ex of mine).

Also a yes here, I'm on the bone marrow list too, would be quite proud if I was ever called up to donate,

What do you think of egg donation, I couldn't do that myself,

Would have loved for my son to have had the chance to be a donor, but he was trapped for too long during the accident, and it was too late to use anything, :mecry: