UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Organ Donation

Annie

I'm a regular blood donor, i'm also on the bone marrow donation register, i am happy to donate my organs- but this is a rare event in the majority of hospitals, however i have more chances of being able to become a tissue donor, whereby they can harvest bone and tissues from a body hours after death.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the 'yes' camp, they can have anything that's useful (as long as they have made sure I'm really dead), I carry a card but it's ancient so I'm on the NHS Organ donor register too.

BillyMalc, you can register here: NHS Organ Donor Register

I can't bring myself to be a blood donor though, which I'm a bit ashamed about. If I have to have bloods done at the doctors I find it horribly painful and traumatic :(

Im on the register and carry a card.

I don't like the fact that your next of kin can still refuse. I worry that my OH will flap under pressure and say no without thinking. I have made him promise that he will tell them they can have whatever they like of mine, but he doesn't really like the idea at all (but doesn't really know why). He hasn't signed the register and doesn't carry a card, I wouldn't know what to do if he died since I don't really know why he disagrees with it and he can't tell me :rolleyes:

If he goes againest your wishes then you can always haunt him! :laugh:

yes.

I was once beside a mum who had lost her 18 month old son when then nurses asked her about organ donation, she was very brave and "yes, but not his eyes, he needs those to see his way in to heaven".

she was a very brave and lovely lady, i was a crumpled, crying wreck :(

I don't like the fact that your next of kin can still refuse. I worry that my OH will flap under pressure and say no without thinking. I have made him promise that he will tell them they can have whatever they like of mine, but he doesn't really like the idea at all (but doesn't really know why). He hasn't signed the register and doesn't carry a card, I wouldn't know what to do if he died since I don't really know why he disagrees with it and he can't tell me :rolleyes:

I would prefer if things were the other way round, as in they could take whatever they needed if you DIDN'T have a card. An opt out scheme rather than an opt in one.

yes.

"yes, but not his eyes, he needs those to see his way in to heaven".

:mecry: :mecry:

I think you should have to opt out of giving organs.

They can have anything of mine, organs to use or anything else to experiment upon.

Like others I would rather my eyes weren't used though, I have no reason for that, I just don't like the idea. Maybe somewhere in my subconcious I feel I do need my eyes in the afterlife.

I used to give blood but haven't been allowed to for several years, I'm always sorry about that. Without 6 pints of blood from other people I would be dead.

Another yes here. I also believe in an opt out. If you have a drivers licence these days I think there is a box to tick on the application. Its a very difficult time for families to be making decisions so I made sure even from being 11 that my family knew what I wanted x

Im happy for any of my bits to be used again although some are a bit worn, knackered, pickled or coated in nicotene :laugh:

:laugh: that's why I'm also happy for my body to be used for research. I'm not sure my organs will actually be any use to anyone.

Absolutely not :flowers: But it's something that matters to me - do I not have the right to consider such things (which are important to me) when making my decision?

Tried to add but my mouse froze, similarly I would have to consider the same things if the situation were reversed (touch wood it never is)

Undecided at the moment is where I'm at I guess.