UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Organ Donation

Annie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People's views on who the donated organ should go to do make a difference.Ex OH and I had a blazing row (one of many on this and similar subjects) as he refused point blank to be a donor incase his organs went to a non-white person :mad:

Very different from your view/feelings Wendy but I think individuals are entitled to validate their feelings like this even if we don't understand where some of the are coming from (by that I think many more of us may understand your view Wendy than that of tosspot ex of mine).

thats very interesting to know ( that the donor has an input on who receives or does not receive there organ )

is it a legally binding thing do you know ? if a donor died and the only suitable recipient was some the donor did not want to have the organ for reasons* like

Sexual Orientation

Country of Origin or racial background

Religious beliefs

Life style choices including dietary choices, prior use/misuse of legal or illegal drugs

would the doctors have to abide by the donors wishes and not offer the organ ?

Sam

*( I just made those up by the way )

My feelings on this have changed over the years. Like several others I once was of the decision that it was a 'yes, but not my eyes or my heart'. At the time that just felt wierd, maybe because those parts 'seem' more 'us'? Today though I no longer feel like that, have no idea why the change, age I presume. Now I would love my eyes to go to someone because I have seen some beautiful and amazing sights and I think everyone should be that lucky. As for my heart, let it beat on. Your point mooandboo did make me stop and think and I can completely understand. Personally I think I have decided that I wouldn't put exclusions on: even if I wouldn't have liked the person my organs went to by way of their deeds on this earth, they are bound to have other people to whom they are special.

Definitely opt out becuase I think that more people are likely to bother to do so (opt out) than vice versa (i.e. those who bother to opt in).

We're a lucky lot to be here and able to discuss this aren't we. :GroupHug:

I used to have a donor card - I think they used to send them out with driving licence applications and proudly carried it about me

I read an article in a magazine about 5 years ago that made me get the scissors and cut it up there and then. I still feel strongly about it and won't be an organ donor

People's views on who the donated organ should go to do make a difference.Ex OH and I had a blazing row (one of many on this and similar subjects) as he refused point blank to be a donor incase his organs went to a non-white person :mad:

Very different from your view/feelings Wendy but I think individuals are entitled to validate their feelings like this even if we don't understand where some of the are coming from (by that I think many more of us may understand your view Wendy than that of tosspot ex of mine).

Sorry to quote just you and not Wendy but it was easier than going back another page :)

I don't really think you should be able to choose what type of person gets your organs. It just seems wrong to me to say that you are prepared to give one person a chance of life but you are not prepared to give someone else a chance because you disapprove of something about them.

I used to have a donor card - I think they used to send them out with driving licence applications and proudly carried it about me

I read an article in a magazine about 5 years ago that made me get the scissors and cut it up there and then. I still feel strongly about it and won't be an organ donor

It would be interesting if you expanded a little on that :)

I've carried a donor card since I was a teenager. I don't attach any value to 'bodies' once the person is dead. If any bits of me are still in good enough nick when I die to help someone else live or have a better quality life then that would be wonderful. In fact if I knew I was dying I'd get quite a lot of comfort from feeling someone else would benefit.

There was a discussion on the radio today about a new government proposal to make organ donation automatic unless the person has opted out or relatives object. I'm completely in favour of this - in fact if I chose to donate my organs I'd prefer that my wishes could override any objections from my relatives (not that there would be any in my case).

Alibullie :( :GroupHug:

I don't really think you should be able to choose what type of person gets your organs. It just seems wrong to me to say that you are prepared to give one person a chance of life but you are not prepared to give someone else a chance because you disapprove of something about them.

I agree completely. If for example I stipulated that I wanted my organs to go to someone who helps animals, it does not necessarily follow that the person is going to be a good person. The life choices you make do not necessarily make you into a good/bad person and I don't feel like I can judge them based on one of many aspects of their life (and quite possibly make the choice of whether they live or die) :flowers:

Edited by madmerle

Personally I don't think you should get to choose who gets your organs. If one person can say a meat eater can't have my kidney, what is the difference to say that a person of different race can't have it? I am sure racists feel as strongly about their believes as vegetarians do about theirs.

I don't agree with racism, obviously, but would be equally devastated if I was in hospital waiting for a lunge or heart, and I got told "sorry miss, you are not worthy cos you eat meat".

I agree with an opt out scheme, and wish we had that here in DK, as I too believe that it would make more people take action in deciding where they stand.

My feelings on this have changed over the years. Like several others I once was of the decision that it was a 'yes, but not my eyes or my heart'. At the time that just felt wierd, maybe because those parts 'seem' more 'us'? Today though I no longer feel like that, have no idea why the change, age I presume. Now I would love my eyes to go to someone because I have seen some beautiful and amazing sights and I think everyone should be that lucky.

I found this really touching - so many people don't want to donate their eyes and while I respect their decision I'm not sure I understand it. I know Baz'd give his left arm for a new pair of eyes if it were possible. Oh hang on, now we've got a body part swap shop going on! :laugh:

Personally I don't think you should get to choose who gets your organs. If one person can say a meat eater can't have my kidney, what is the difference to say that a person of different race can't have it? I am sure racists feel as strongly about their believes as vegetarians do about theirs.

I don't agree with racism, obviously, but would be equally devastated if I was in hospital waiting for a lunge or heart, and I got told "sorry miss, you are not worthy cos you eat meat".

I can't see it ever being like that, I think if people feel so strongly about who gets their organs they'd be advised not to donate :flowers: It was more of a pondering on my part, but it does make me feel a bit weird. However, I have no more right to play God than the next person and I'm well aware of that. Still undecided though.

Alibullie :GroupHug: