UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Baby Killed By Rottweiler

KathyM

quote from police report

"What we know at this time is that the dog was a family pet, a two and a half year old female Rottweiller, which the family had owned for about six months.

“Although the dog lived in the yard of the premises"

where had the dog come from? if a rescue did they have history of the dog. Maybe rescues are not asking the right question when rehoming some breeds. Most rescues have a "not under 5" policies but do we check about visiting children all the time.

Why was the dog kept in the yard, or was it just whilst children were visiting that she was out there.

A dreadful dreadful state of affairs.

My own mix of rottweilers and mastiffs are not used to children so therefore are kept very seperate from my grandchildren when they visit and I am neurotic enough to lock the doors where the dogs are and keep the keys on my person so no mistakes are made. Would my lot attack? dont know but do know little children can sound like squeaky toys sometimes but I would never take the risk, poor family, poor 16 year old aunt

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I dont feel the media is over reacting at all. A 1 year old child has been murdered. Can you imagine what that poor mother must of witnessed it doesnt bare thinking about. I love rotties and 1 day will own one but until something is done to stop them falling into the wrong hands things like this are going to happen. And I believe 1 child losing there life is to many and it is becoming all to frequent. There are dogs (I Believe) that are used purely for there strength and capabilitys and are very powerful weapons until there is a license where only responsible people own them this will go on and on I believe.

My heart goes out to all the family as there are no words to describe what has happened.

This post makes me feel uncomfortable.

The media is whipping up a frenzy, once again, about the breed of dog being relevant to the death of a young child. It is that which I consider to be inappropriate and wholly inaccurate. It's odd that you say the media are not over-reacting. What exactly do you mean by that? If it is that this incident should be reported, then I respect your point of view because everyone has the right to read about accurate news reports. However, if you agree that the nature of the reports are well-meaning and balanced then I absolutely disagree.

As for saying the child has been 'murdered', that is a very tabloid-type remark to make. A dog isn't capable of forethought and planning regarding an act of malice and intent to kill, therefore to commit murder.

I think everyone genuinely feels sorrow for the loss of a young child and a dog. Until we know the facts of what has happened, passing judgement on the situation is as bad as the media themselves so don't stoop to the same level. From what is being reported on Sky News right now, the Mother wasn't present and it was a seven year old child who took the one year old child out to stroke the dog. An Aunt was called by the seven year old when the attack happened.

I think (and hope) your post was well-meant but the wording is quite cold and can be misunderstood.

I completely agree with the comments made about emotive language - please choose your words with care when posting - murder is a premeditated act and to describe this as "murder" would imply that a human intentionally planned to kill the child using the dog as a weapon, I would hate to think that anyone is suggesting that this childs family intended for this to happen.

We will be monitoring this thread and any other threads relating to this tragic event very closely indeed and if necessary posts WILL be edited.

They have just said on the BBC that a 16 year old was left in charge of 4 young children. The dog was in the yard when a 7 year old opened the door while carrying the 1 year old. The dog snatched the baby from the 7 year old.

They said the family had had the dog 6 months and it had shown no signs of aggression in the past. So it sounds like it must have been a rescue or second hand of some description as it doesn't appear to have been a puppy.

It does seem a bit ridiculous to me to leave 4 children in the care of a 16 year old with a dog of that size which they havent had all that long. I believe the dog lived with the one year old but presumably not with all of the other children. Who knows how the kids had been behaving there unsupervised?

Media are being utter shites as usual :(

I would simply like to say how desperately sorry i am for the loss of two young lives.

Could everyone please spare a kind thought for the other children who witnessed this awful tradgedy, they will live with the vision of it for the rest of their lives.

My deepest sympathy to all involved :GroupHug:

Whatever happened and whatever breed of dog it was, a child has died.

The media will do what they do which is sensationalise and call for more breeds to be added to the DDA.

I imagine BBAS phones will be going nuts today, mine is :(

Sky were bloody awful they rang at 7.30 this morning and wanted me across the other side of town for 8.30 with no questions in advance. I know I looked and sounded like a muppet [had a mike in my ear, traffic noise in the background and I'm deaf in the other ear :wacko: ] but I hope that what did come across was sensible. He wanted me to say rotts should be added to the DDA and was trying his hardest to make me say rotties are bred to be dangerous, barsteward.

I only saw a brief part of it, Mel, but I think you were far from looking or sounding like a muppet :rolleyes:

They were clearly trying to manipulate the situation and drag you along with them but you were clear, concise and determined. I think that reaches people so well done :flowers:

I know I probably can't do much from here but if I can please let me know. I'd happily be your PA for the next few days.

PS I hope you got my PM recently about fundraising :unsure:

My own mix of rottweilers and mastiffs are not used to children so therefore are kept very seperate from my grandchildren when they visit and I am neurotic enough to lock the doors where the dogs are and keep the keys on my person so no mistakes are made. Would my lot attack? dont know but do know little children can sound like squeaky toys sometimes but I would never take the risk, poor family, poor 16 year old aunt

I have refused visits from any of my family who wanted to bring their children over during the xmas period, purely because i dont know how good my boys are with kids and i am not prepared to risk the life of a child or that of my dogs. My sympathies go to the family of this poor child, and the dogs owners who also have to live with the actions of their pet dog :(

As the dog snatched the baby off the 7yr old could it all have been a terrible mistake?? I was wondering if the child maybe took toys to the dog to play with, did the dog assume it was a toy that he/she had this time and just grabbed it.

Tragic, no matter what happened and as Lainey said those poor children will be traumatised for life.

A 16 year old will be deemed old enough to look after 4 younger children.I have a 16yr old on my caseload with 2 children of her own and the law usuallly sees 14 years as the minimum age a young person can be left in charge of younger ones.

Can we perhaps wait until all the facts are known before we make any judgements.A Child Death Review will already be well underway and will determine exactly what happened.The media will speculate lots and make stuff up to fit the needs of the blood thirsty public sadly but in time the CDR will speak the actual truth.Wait for that.

Mel I've just seen a snippet of your interview on Sky News and I thought you got your point across succinctly. I didn't see the whole interview obviously but for what it's worth, they played the right clip :flowers:

As for saying the child has been 'murdered', that is a very tabloid-type remark to make. A dog isn't capable of forethought and planning regarding an act of malice and intent to kill, therefore to commit murder.

I think everyone genuinely feels sorrow for the loss of a young child and a dog. Until we know the facts of what has happened, passing judgement on the situation is as bad as the media themselves so don't stoop to the same level.

Well said :flowers: