UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Xmas Breeders Grrrrrr

flukespad

Had a message Tuesday from a lady that had a litter of 5 puppies that she needed homed by today as she was going away for Xmas.She had been trying to sell them but had no joy would we buy them off her.Tried to call her back no one home and no answer phone.Last night 5pm she called me back had two pups left sold the other three for £250 would we take the last one there and then so of course said yes but told her we did not pay for rescues. Arranged for them to go to a foster home near overnight till they could bring them to me today.

Poor little mites arrived and are 12 weeks old, not vaccinated at all,riddled with worms have demadtic magnge,not been socilaised,p** themselves when you pick them up or go near but are not to scared to let you know what they think of you. I feel for the other three she sold and have fingers double crossed they are in good homes and been taken to a vet.These little ones are pure Staffies.At least we can now work with our two god knows what will happen to the others.

There was an ad in our pet shop at the start of the week offering Staffi x pups for £10, dad unknown.After much deliberation I decided to ring and have been trying to get an answer all week. Got hold of someone this morning.

They have agreed to let me get mum spayed and I will pick her up next Friday for that. Just before the DT neutering scheme finishes thank goodness.

I asked about the pups to be told there was one bitch left the other 7 had already been sold, as had the 11 from her last litter. They agreed to let me have her and I collected the pup this morning. Managed to get her to the vet and she has had her first vac.

She is 9 weeks old and it looks like dad is a Rotti. Her name is now Penny as I didn't pay even one for her. She is off to a foster home tomorrow but to be fair seems a chunky, well fed dog. Mum was a lovely bouncy, friendly Staffi.

The flat was on an estate where lots of dogs roam so I am sure Penny will have lots of neices and nephews in a few months.

:mecry: I sometimes dispear. I feel like we make no difference at all. :mecry: In my area I counted so far 9 xmas puppies :(

Trust me - you do make a huge difference. :flowers:

Remember the Starfish story, it is so true, especially in a world where greed out weights most things.

You do an amazing job, and there are many animals this Christmas who are so grateful to you (all) and what you've done for them

:GroupHug:

It just makes me weep. :mecry:

me too

I think in this country we are almost too good at hiding the problem , stray dogs are generally caught and taken to pounds very quickly and strays are not visible on the streets. Pounds do as we know PTS and again thats not widely known , people hear Dogs Trust Adverts saying healthy dogs are not destroyed and think all places unwanted dogs go to are like that

at the moment no one person has to take responsibility for the over population crisis that this country has ( but hides so well )

so a BYB thinks there is a market for his pups and if not they look to a local rescue for help ( if the pups are lucky )

added to that

Puppy farms can churn out cute "designer" puppies when people are prepared to buy them because they can't get a certain dog in rescue or they don't want to wait or they don't want a 2nd hand dog or they want a puppy

Ditto for Breeders ( even the really good ones )

Whilst people can buy and sell with a clear consequence ( thinking its someone elses actions that are contributing to the over population ) then people are not going to stop are they and rescues are going to be kept very busy

Rescues do make a differance but I can understand why it can feel like you are not :flowers:

Totally agree with HLGS. Thing is, unfortunately this problem will persist, as selling dogs brings in money (even if your majority of "breeders" will not declare their earnings to HMRC, they will spend the money they have earned in shops) and tackling the problem will only cost money, with no obvious benefit to the economy. Your buggered really, if you got no economic value :(