UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back! I took Alfie up there with me so had to walk the other two when I got back because they were sulking.

I've got some photos of him/her (I think the man we saw said he thinks she's a bitch) but they're not very good. I had the wrong zoom lens with me but can get another and maybe go back tomorrow.

Assuming she's a girl, SHE'S quick. There was no catching her - she seemed quick, nimble and still appears to be in fairly good condition. I could see about four ribs but the coat was good and she seems to have some strength.

The man we chatted to, albeit briefly, said that 'Sarah' has been feeding her and they think she sleeps up by the cricket ground, in the undergrowth. Phoebejo might know where that is?

I'll upload the photos in a minute but don't get excited - they are pretty poor.

Kelly x

Oh dear. These are much worse than expected. I've had to zoom in a lot on the software because I was too far away with an shorter zoom lens. Another excuse is that I had a bag of food in one had and Alfie in the other :blush02:

If you squint a bit (or a lot), you can see the dog is brindle, has a full tail but no collar. Bearing in mind that the ground is uneven, you can still get an idea of the size of the dog in relation to the bench, which I deliberately left in.

IMG_3482a.jpg

IMG_3481a.jpg

IMG_3480a.jpg

I can't believe I missed the chance of a really good photo when she was stood right in front of us...but I didn't even see her :guiltysmiley:

I called Colin at the council but he was out so I've left a message and Candy is coming over again hopefully this weekend. She said she'd be happy to sit with a trap for a few hours if needed. I'll go out with Lizzie before work tomorrow but I honestly don't expect to catch him/her/it :wub:

Will PM Gog Magog now.

I can't stop thinking about how cold this poor little girl must be right now. If she's been living rough for three months, as was suggested earlier by the man we saw, she won't understand why it's getting colder and won't have the energy to keep up her survival. I'm really worried about her now :mecry: Earlier today, we were hopeful that she'd be a hunter and could survive on the plentiful supply of rabbits up there but they'll be hibernating before long. Then what?

We have to try to get her to safety quickly. Is there any news on the trap? If it's available, we can surely co-ordinate getting it over this way.

I'll help in anyway I can. I'll make any calls, I'll drive to collect the trap, I'll trap-sit, etc.

Worried.

Rabbits don't hibernate, they have to come out to graze, but it is true that they spend as little time as possible above ground in bad weather. If the lady who has been putting food out continues to do so, the dog won't be having fun but she won't starve, and as the weather gets really cold she will be more ready to come for food.

Thanks for your offer, Peachy, will bear it in mind if I can get my hands on a mega trap.

I have just had a thought. If this is a bitch she may not be spayed. It's extra important to get her in before the inevitable happens.

That is one VERY hard frost out there this morning. I've just called my ex-OH and he's going to come with me and we're going back over there very shortly so I can lie on the ground to see if the dog will come up to me. I've got picnic blankets, waterproof jacket and dog treats at the ready.

If you hear reports of a strange woman.......

I guess it could be any of us

:laugh:

Poor girl, I hope she's got somewhere warm to lie up in this weather. Good luck to all trying to catch her.

I could probably get over to Faringdon tomorrow for a walk round, but I'm not sure that would achieve anything at the moment? If you manage to get a trap and need someone to do a trap-watching shift, or if there's anything else I can do let me know.