UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing :( No sightings of her today, spoke to a nice lady walking a Boxer with exactly the same markings as our stray friend but she said she's never seen her, despite being up there from 9-10 every morning. I thought it might be busier with dog walkers today but it wasn't.

Ex-OH and I walked around for two hours, all over the old nursery area, where we saw her yesterday, right at the back towards the houses and looked across the fields to the Folly Tower. Nothing at all. The old plant nursery area is like scrubland. It's thorny, lots of old discarded plant pots, iron structures that are rusting away. I got right in there and rambled throughout it all. I saw a few huge dog pawprints in the mud that were still frosty from last night. I tried to follow them but it came to nothing. There are a few low dense bushes/trees but absolutely no evidence than a dog of that size may have been sheltering in them as all the undergrowth around them was still intact with no parting of any kind. I was hopeful of finding the dogs place of shelter or where it goes to sleep at night but to no avail. I need to look on Google Earth because I couldn't find the cricket ground that the man mentioned yesterday.

It's bleak up there today. A real cross wind that makes it very chilly. My hands are still fairly numb despite having thick gloves on and having been in the car for about 50 minutes. I can't imagine how cold that poor dog must be.

I can't go back tomorrow but should be able to go on Monday.

Anyone venturing up to Folly Park, take your wellies.

That might be worth a try. I'm happy to contact Cotswold Wildlife Park as they're fairly close to us but I think the idea should be checked with Colin at the Council. He might prefer to call (or already have called) or have better contacts.

Phoebejo - Maybe it's worth running this past Colin when he calls you back?

Thanks Kazz :flowers:

I'll try Colin again on Monday. That's a fab idea about Cotswold Wildlife Park. That's about 20 minutes from me and I could collect a trap if they've got one.

I popped up there briefly before work this morning and saw no sign. Candy went around the same time yesterday and didn't see anything. So perhaps our friend isn't an early bird?

Just been ploughing through a thread on Doglost from over a year ago to see if it mentioned the sanctuary who lent their purpose-built giant breed trap on that occasion - and it does :biggrin:

So I will give them a call tomorrow, and ask very nicely if we might borrow it if it is not in use. If the wildlife park has something like a big cat trap to hand that would be excellent, otherwise unless someone nearer can come up with something suitable we must hope the sanctuary can help.