UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

Hi all, I received this through an email list so am crossposting in case anyone can help :flowers: Really hope this guy can find the help needed to get this dog to safety.

I have a problem concerning a stray dog which has now been outstanding for several months. The dog is a large great dane/boxer cross, brindle in colour, which is living in a large wooded area, in Faringdon, Oxfordshire.

The dog is of a nervous deposition and when approached by people will run away, through the rat runs in the woods, making capture of the dog extremely difficult.

The dog is sighted several times a week and is now looking very thin. When the reports of the sightings come into the office, by the time that I attend the location, the dog is back underground and no where to be seen. Also patrols in the area have proven fruitless.

There is a lady who lives close by to the area in question, who leaves out food for the dog in the woods, on a daily basis so that the dog has some form of nourishment.

The only option which I can now think of capturing the dog is to set down a cage with food inside, which will then trigger the door to close behind him. The problem is I do not have access to such a cage and need to ask the dog wardens around the area, to see if they could possibly help with any ideas/equipment that could help bring the dog in.

The lady, who feeds the dog, would be more than willing to help in any way possible, due to the cold/wet winter months ahead, so that we can then rescue the dog from the environment which he is living in.

Please open this out for any ideas to help save the dog.

Many thanks,

Colin Marshall

Environment Warden

Vale of White Horse District Council

Abbey House

Oxon

OX14 3JE

Tel 01235 520202 Ext 641

Fax 01235 531981

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Righty ho, have spoken to Colin Marshall just now (he sounds lovely btw!) and have found out where the dog is hanging around. Behind the Esso garage around near the old plant nursery. This is a huge open area, very close to the A420 but surrounded by fields and the Folly Tower. I'll pop up there with Lizzie whenever I can, but can't get out much without the kids. Perhaps will try early in the mornings before Ian goes to work.

Ideally what Colin says we need is a trap to catch this dog because he's been living rough for a while and is very nervous. He's been offered the use of a few but they're all miles away so he's trying to locate one nearer. Does anyone have any ideas?

One of the DL team (Candy) is in this area and is thinking of paying some visits, and also Ray Deddicott the trapper from Brum has been contacted. We don't want people doubling up efforts or falling over each other. Phoebejo, I will contact Candy and ask permission to give you her contact details so you can co-ordinate. I don't know the current situation with Ray, best find out from Colin.

Problem with traps is getting a big enough one, check size of trap offered before transporting it. A rescue in Norfolk has a giant breed one.

It sounds like a large dog, Dane cross is mentioned but as far as I know only one person is actively down there searching for it. She's seen him a few times and leaves food nearby which could be being eaten by him or foxes. What worries me is how close he is to the busy A420 and the area he's living on is about to have a hundred or so new houses built on it.

I've spoken to Candy. She's going to look tomorrow and I'm going at the weekend before work. I'm really stuck as to when I can go without the kids. Ideally I'd like to go early in the morning before Ian goes to work but it's just going to be to dark and I'll not see a thing out there.

Feeling a bit useless really :sad02: It's awful to think of him out there cold and hungry. It rained really hard last night, he would've been so cold :sad02:

We've seen him/her! Peachy called me to say she'd seen him and as Ian had just got home from work I left him with the kids while I went out to meet Peachy. He'd disappeared again when I got there so we wandered about and then all of a sudden he was about ten yards infront of us just watching and we hadn't even seen him :rolleyes: He's dark brindle and very well hidden amongst the undergrowth. He dashed past us, almost arms length away but there was no way we could've caught him. He seemed in better condition than we'd expected and he ran off quite playfully, if determined. We didn't see him again after that but a man walking his dogs said he is a she and has been there for about three months.

Never in a million years is anybody going to catch this one without a trap.

Just noticed this. I know a guy with a "dog trap" Its the same guy that placed the trap for Max the Lab up by the Licky hills a couple of years ago.

I can't get him, so have left a message. In the meantime am going to ring Julie, Borough Dog Warden for Redditch.

Faringdon isn't that far. Give me half an hour. :flowers:

Kazz xx

Ok guy isn't there spoke to one of the kennel maids and will get Ray to ring me back in a bit. But she did say dog traps they have are "short on the ground" due to fireworks.

I told the kennel hand the size of the dog.

Spoke with Julie Edmonds (Dog Warden), she calls on Ray for traps which I thought she did (but needed to check on the off chance she had something). All she said was if the message isn't passed to Ray for me to keep trying him.

When Max the lost Labbie was on the loose, we were hoping people weren't feeding him. I know that sounds awful, but if you can keep him hungry, light a disposable bbq etc.

Draw him in to the scent.

Just noticed Owl has contacted Ray also for a trap. :flowers:

Will have to wait to see if they can locate one. If not the soonest I can get there will be after the weekend. If he isn't neutered, a bitch in season may draw him nearer as a bribe, just a thought.

Kazz xx