UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No updates so far today.

I have just called the rescue and boarding kennels close to where the dog is and where she's likely to end up if/when caught. I'm going over there to see them tomorrow morning to walk the rescue dogs.

They have greyhounds, lurchers and a rottie to name but a few - this could be the worst idea I've ever had!!!

Whilst I'm over there, I'll go to Folly Park to see if I can spot the dog again.

I'd already seen Bob and thought he looked similar but Cheryl is right, the stray has a more boxer-like head.

As for walking their dogs, they were just pleased that I offered. They have someone walk them on Mondays and Fridays but go quiet mid-week. At the weekend, they have youngsters doing the Duke of Edinburgh scheme helping out. The kennel staff have to split their time between boarders and rescue which means the rescue side only get about 10 minutes in the paddock each, throwing balls and frisbees, etc.

I went along today and just went around with one of the staff members and she showed me how things work. They like it if you can commit to a certain day of the week but would be happy if you showed up any other times because the dogs can get more exercise. I don't know if I can help more but PM me if you want.

Then I went to Folly Park and trundled around for ages. No sightings again. I walked ALL over but couldn't even see the trap so it's well disguised!

I emailed Colin, the Environment Warden at the Council, for an update this morning but I haven't heard back from him just yet. He's been really prompt to date so I can only assume that he hasn't been in the office today.

I don't know how long they normally allow, when the put a trap down, before moving to plan B. Hopefully I'll be able to update the thread tomorrow if Colin gets back to me.

Thanks for asking :flowers:

I've received this email from Colin.

Just to let you know that the dog is still outstanding.

The person who is feeding the dog actually saw her standing beside the cage at the weekend, looking very dubious of it. The food has been placed outside the cage at the moment and is gradually being moved closer to the interior of the cage.

I’m paying a visit to Faringdon today to check up on developments.

Hopefully might see some results sometime this week.

Keeping my fingers firming crossed for a successful outcome later this week :mellow:

I have just been on the phone to a guy heavily involved in Dane rescue. He is on his way now to look for this dog, he has been before too. The trap has been set for a few days now but is really too small for the job. apparantly the dog has taken food from in the trap but not gone in far enough to set it off. This dog is also raiding bins on the local estate at nights, so is probably hiding/sleeping mostly in the day. This guy has the dog wardens pole with him and is thinking of ways to construct a trap big enough should one not become available. Has anyone made enquiries to the above mentioned wild life places about traps and if so has there been any positive news? If not please let me know and I will get on to it later today (or tomorrow if I get back too late as I am off soon to take a desperate scared GSD to her foster home ).

If you have any immeadiate news about an available right sized trap please ring me on

07947 364 913

thanks

Karen

Hi Karen :flowers:

Owl had kindly sourced a custom-made trap which would have been large enough for the task but the Environment Warden at the Council managed to get one himself. He saw the dog when he was putting the trap in place so knows the size of the dog so I would have hoped that he would have changed his mind if he thought it was too small :unsure:

I've posted everything that I know from the Warden (who really does seem lovely and to care very much about what he's doing) and from what Cheryl and I saw when we visited the location. I think the food was only due to be moved in inside the trap in the past couple of days so you must have more up to date information than me if she's been seen eating inside the trap now.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about your friend getting close enough to catch the dog but I wish him all the best. This weather isn't very forgiving and I'd love nothing more to see the dog caught safely.

Any chance of an update from you or your friend later today? :flowers:

I cant get hold of the friend at the mo. I have left him a message telling him to ring me or look on here about the trap Owl has sourced ~ I somehow skimmed over that when I rush read the thread :rolleyes:

Do we know how quick this larger trap could be taken to Farringdon?

I have spoken to a few Zoo paces and the like but they seem to think there is abetter chance of getting her by darting :unsure: dont you need to have a good idea of an animals weight first to do this???

I will update when I hear anything.

Karen

If it turns out we do need the larger trap, it is at PACT rescue in Norfolk and they need a couple of days notice to get it out as it is stored - AND someone needs to go and get it in a fair sized van as it doesn't fold.

However, there is no need to go that far, as an expert dog trapper from the W Midlands does have his own traps, and does have a Dane-sized one. I think he would probably rather come down and do things himself than lend one, as his have remote devices to give a signal when dog is in trap and are I think his own design.

If the trapping is being done right, there should be food left in the unset trap and the dog should be eating there regularly before the trap is set. Is this what is happening, rather than the trap simpoly not going off?

Whatever happens, it is important that no one tries to catch the dog close to the trap and scares her out of the immediate area.

Re darting, zoos would think that way because they are dealing with exotic animals and have a duty to protect the public in the case of predators. But if you are trying to catch a domestic dog it's risky, and you do have to know the weight, and there is the chance here that the dog will keep running and go into danger or on to a road before the sedative takes effect. Only a few vets have a licence for a tranquilliser gun.

Anyone who can help is welcome, but please can anyone who wants to help catch this dog co-ordinate with the council, as we don't want people working at cross-purposes - thanks.