UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

I heard back from PACT sanctuary in Norfolk and they are willing to lend their giant trap if you can't get a big enough one locally. The disadvantage is that it will probably need a van to move it as it is between 4 and 5 ft long, 4 ft wide and 4 ft high as it was originally built to catch a very big feral newfie. They would also ask for a deposit which I hope the council would provide, and they would like a couple of days notice before collecting as they have to get it out of storage.

I told the PACT lady I would get back to her if we need it - or if we definitely don't.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just received an email from Colin at the Council. He's been out to Faringdon this afternoon with his colleague and they've set up a trap that has been borrowed from Wokingham District Council. Apparently it's had 100% success rate so far :) and has been named 'the lucky dog trap'.

Colin saw the dog when he was there today but wasn't able to track her down as she scamped off into the woods. A local lady is going to keep an eye on the trap and put food down. It's has been well disguised with bramble and branches so they're hoping the dog will become accustomed quickly.

So, it sounds like all the best things are in place for now. Fingers crossed for a quickly trapped dog who can be safe and warm before the really nasty weather sets in.

I'll post updates as they come through. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and support, especially Owl for locating a trap should the Council not have found one :flowers:

I had a call from Ray Deddicott this evening, he is a lovely fella. He would have been willing to bring a trap down and do the whole thing himself, but not needed now with any luck. He did give me a trapping tip which you might pass on, and that is to place some food in the dog's usual feeding place under a piece of mesh so she eats it through the mesh. This will get her used to having mesh under her feet and make her less scared of the trap.

Peachy and Phoebejo, you are stars :flowers:

I had a call from Ray Deddicott this evening, he is a lovely fella. He would have been willing to bring a trap down and do the whole thing himself, but not needed now with any luck. He did give me a trapping tip which you might pass on, and that is to place some food in the dog's usual feeding place under a piece of mesh so she eats it through the mesh. This will get her used to having mesh under her feet and make her less scared of the trap.

Peachy and Phoebejo, you are stars :flowers:

That is a very lovely gesture. Thank you to you, Kazz and Ray for being there to help.

It's a very sensible tip and I've just emailed it to Colin. When I spoke with his colleague, she sounded very helpful and like she really cared. His email was very warm and chatty as well. Cheryl said he was a nice chap too. I'm pleased that these people are doing their best for the dog and seem to have good hearts.

Kazz, I didn't mind at all and would sooner have had Ray bring a more portable one from Brum than have to arrange van transport from Norfolk for the mega trap from PACT. Glad to have made contact with him anyway and had a nice chat - you never know when you may need him.

Anyone decided where dog is to go when caught? I assume she will do time in pound?

Wherever she goes I'd like to visit her with a present or two.

Me too :biggrin:

This is the link from the Council's page about strays Vale of White Horse Distict Council

I'm not sure where she'll end up but will do 7 days then be handed over for rehoming.

Phoebejo - there are kennels near to the roundabout where she is, on the way to Wantage. I don't want to post their name just in case I'm in breach of anything but do you know if that's where she may end up? I recall my brother (police officer) telling me that strays are collected from the police station by a couple in Faringdon. I wondered if they were also the Council Pound. I know they do boarding and rescue at the kennels I'm thinking of. I can PM you the name if you don't know where I mean.

Just looked at the website for the kennels, it says they take in lost and abandoned dogs and strays from Thames Valley Police. It mentions they have to stay for 7 days and are then put up for adoption. I should think if the dog is caught successfully, it'll be taken to the kennels which are just a few hundred yards away from where it is now!

I might call them tomorrow because it says they need volunteer dog walkers :biggrin:

So glad this is still ongoing, as I had a horrid dream the other night that this poor dog had been found drowned :(

Thanks to everyone working their little socks off to find this baby.

:unsure: Don't make me worry about her even more - there IS a pond in the park. I think (and hope!) that this dog is way more savvy than that, as she's been doing fairly well for the past few weeks/months.

I've had an email from Colin this morning to thank us for the tip from Ray via Owl, saying that he's grateful to everyone for their support and he's always open to new ideas.

The trap was checked first thing this morning but no captured dog just yet.