UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Class

Sheplover

I, so I've been told, talk with a posh accent, because of this on quite a few occasions in my life I have been labelled as being 'posh' and deemed to be 'middle/upper class'. I have on the odd occasion found this quite upsetting to be 'labelled' like this to be honest as it has resulted in some people not wanting to meet my acquaintance, or some even giving me a hard time. No one from here I might add.

I personally do not go around 'labelling' anyone. We are all born equal. I like to meet new people very much. It's amazing what common ground you can find with strangers, for example a deep love of dogs, which transcends any 'class' system that people want to be labelled as or label others with.

I've had that when I used to work in Warrington. I grew up in rural Wales and Devon, where I don't think you get the deep consciousness of social divides that you get in an environment that is urban and used to be very industrial. People in Warrington thought I must be incredibly posh, simply because I had a southern accent (actually, I have a slight Devon accent) and came from a rural community, and I had to work bloody hard to be accepted.

It was slightly less painful when I was in Liverpool, possibly because I was working at a university, so people there had met a wider range of other people and also (I suspect) because Liverpudlians think of themselves as a superior race and look down benevolently on all lesser and Southern peoples... :laugh:

Though I shall never forget: I went home to Devon for a week with my first digital camera. I took a photo of an old house, of which I was rather proud, and when I got back to work, I set it as my desktop wallpaper. People gathered round and said 'where's that house? That's an amazing house!' and not one of them would believe me when I said it belonged to the village milkman. Which it did.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wishing to seem arrogant, I've always considered I am in a *class* of my own :biggrin:

Erm no that is my class, now get out :D :laugh:

Seriously I don't even think about it. If the definition is given according to what your fathers occupation then I will be working class.

Edited by Abigailj

I haven't got the foggiest idea what I am - my parents (in Switzerland) were certainly both very working class background, but due to my dad's good career are now middleclass... I don't know what I would class myself... working, middleclass... who cares! I know who I am and that's all I need to know. :biggrin:

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl

I personally do not go around 'labelling' anyone. We are all born equal. It's amazing what common ground you can find with strangers, for example a deep love of dogs, which transcends any 'class' system that people want to be labelled as or label others with.

Working class by birth - middle class by marriage and education.

In my attitude to other people - classless like you.

I don't see anything intrinsically better or worse in belonging to one "class" or another - people should be valued for what they are and what they do.

My youngest daughter has been a regular competitor at agility shows since she was 10 and it has been a perfect upbringing and given her the opportunity of making friends with people from a wide social spectrum and general eccentricity (was going to say "weirdness" but it sounded a bit rude.) Income, education, appearance, sexuality, age - none of that matters a bit. It's like society ought to be in microcosm.

Pam

Me ? Top of my own class :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously whats the point ? You are what you are , we all have the same colour blood . .

I don't really understand the class thing at all but surely if you are born working class no matter who you marry or if you win the lottery and have pots of money it won't change that fact ?

Apparently i was born middle class but it does not make me a better or worse person for it , and i really couldnt care less :biggrin:

I find it amusing watching people trying to be something they are not in all walks of life .

Fiona xx

when people say "something they are not" i worry, we should be able to be what we like.

Me, I was born a gypsy, from Sinti Tribe, so I don't fit into any class, but there is an old gypsy saying , me against my brother, my brother and me against the family, my family against the tribe, my tribe against the world. My family hated kalderash and rom and called them scum and mumblies.

I think society would class me as an underclass, even though I am extremely well educated etc. I am what i want to be and I wouldn't never allow anyone to pigeon hole me.

when people say "something they are not" i worry, we should be able to be what we like.

Me, I was born a gypsy, from Sinti Tribe, so I don't fit into any class, but there is an old gypsy saying , me against my brother, my brother and me against the family, my family against the tribe, my tribe against the world. My family hated kalderash and rom and called them scum and mumblies.

I think society would class me as an underclass, even though I am extremely well educated etc. I am what i want to be and I wouldn't never allow anyone to pigeon hole me.

No one would think of you as an underclass. You can sit on my band wagon anytime :flowers:

I dont judge people by class but more what they stand for and thier morals.

When I used to foster before kids got violent I had the priviledge of taking care of a very special kid who was Roma.

He knew what loyalty was.

When i went to India last year what saddened me most was the Caste system of classes. It broke my heart to see those thought to be the lowest literally living in the gutter, unable to work, unable to get medical treatment and unable to even be near those of higher castes.

When we think of Class here, it just breaks my heart to think that elsewhere it means so much yet for us now, whilst we might recognise class it doesn't really mean we're any different any more, and that's how it really should be.

When i went to India last year what saddened me most was the Caste system of classes. It broke my heart to see those thought to be the lowest literally living in the gutter, unable to work, unable to get medical treatment and unable to even be near those of higher castes.

When we think of Class here, it just breaks my heart to think that elsewhere it means so much yet for us now, whilst we might recognise class it doesn't really mean we're any different any more, and that's how it really should be.

I dont believe there is any justification to outcast children

Sheplover, I think it was you that said in a thread here someone (not a forum member ) was council trash so perhaps even today it's not your class that condemns you.

Alison

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: No, it is the fact that she is a hooligan who threatened me, my dogs and damaged my property that condemned her. :angry:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: No, it is the fact that she is a hooligan who threatened me, my dogs and damaged my property that condemned her. :angry:

:biglaugh:

Actually to be fair there are those in the world that deserve to get stuff hurled at them occasionally.

Im sure we have all said the worst thing we can think of at the time

I dont believe there is any justification to outcast children

I don't believe there is any justification to make outcasts of anyone, man, woman or child